Player Discussion: Anthony Beauvillier

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I hope that Garth Snow sees what I see in this guy, and that's why he should not trade him (Not that there are heavy rumors, but his name does come up when the Islanders have to give something in a trade). The biggest thing missing from Beauvillier's game right now is NHL strength, and once he attains that, he'll either be a really strong 2nd line player or a well above average 3rd line player. He skates well and he works hard, his stickhandling is pretty good (will improve with NHL strength), and I could see him being a sort of Diet Patrice Bergeron, or more close to the mark realistic, Frans Nielsen, but faster.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I hope that Garth Snow sees what I see in this guy, and that's why he should not trade him (Not that there are heavy rumors, but his name does come up when the Islanders have to give something in a trade). The biggest thing missing from Beauvillier's game right now is NHL strength, and once he attains that, he'll either be a really strong 2nd line player or a well above average 3rd line player. He skates well and he works hard, his stickhandling is pretty good (will improve with NHL strength), and I could see him being a sort of Diet Patrice Bergeron, or more close to the mark realistic, Frans Nielsen, but faster.

images

That might not be a body type than can get to the level of strength necessary. He gets bumped off his feet an awful lot on plays that pretty much no other NHL player goes down to the ice for. Even now he seems to have a long way to go. The skill is there but that body does not look like it can put on a lot of muscle.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
images

That might not be a body type than can get to the level of strength necessary. He gets bumped off his feet an awful lot on plays that pretty much no other NHL player goes down to the ice for. Even now he seems to have a long way to go. The skill is there but that body does not look like it can put on a lot of muscle.

He doesn't need to be this muscle-bound behemoth, he just needs to get stronger. My own feeling is that he should be in the AHL right now, and maybe Ho-Sang should be, too. But both of these guys need to become physically mature, and when they are, they'll be prominent players.

Reactions: IODCPiper

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

If Beauvillier is the difference in a package between getting someone like OEL, he's a goner.

At some point, you have to be willing to move non-top six/top three forwards/defensemen to improve your team.

The Islanders appear to be at that stage.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
If Beauvillier is the difference in a package between getting someone like OEL, he's a goner.

At some point, you have to be willing to move non-top six/top three forwards/defensemen to improve your team.

I have no problem with that. I agree, but I would try to work alternatives like Pulock and MDC (not that they get it done), but I would take a very Nashville, "Do it without giving up a regular roster player" approach and see how far I could get.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

While I don't disagree with you, we have so many more quality, expendable assets that giving up Beauvillier shouldn't be the first thought on our minds.

Reactions: TavHoSang

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
images

Hes 5'10 he can absolutely add muscle. He is also 19 and he hasnt even reach his peak for adding that muscle. I will say 1 thing, this summer is crucial for his physical growth. Adding 12 pounds of lean muscle will do wonders for his game. 5'10 190-195 is a solid foundation and an NHL body-weight of that height.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Ugh, you guys talk like this is Rudy or something. Kids got effort AND skill. Only thing that's missing is muscle and it's not like he plays in fear because of it. Even if he doesn't put on muscle or get that much stronger, he'll still be a solid career NHL as a great third liner and jack of all traits guy. Sure we all want him to be a second line monster, but just wish people would relax on him. So many other players to worry about development wise (Pulock, MDC) than Tito.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Props from one of the geezers who actually knows that quote!

[my apologies to those cultured youngsters who appreciate the finer things in life and do know the quote]

The marathon on Thanksgiving gave me the inspiration.

(I guess I'm one of those cultured youngsters as Pierre Turgeon was the Isles leading scorer the year I was born).

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I really wish they didn't keep Beau up last year. He's going to be one hell of a player when he garners NHL strength. His ELC ends next year instead of the following. They'll likely need to bridge him, but it could be time for a big raise after that deal expires.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I really wish they didn't keep Beau up last year. He's going to be one hell of a player when he garners NHL strength. His ELC ends next year instead of the following. They'll likely need to bridge him, but it could be time for a big raise after that deal expires.
Could bridge, but could possibly Nielsen him and sign him for a longer term contract at a salary well below market value for where you project him him to be shortly. Generally speaking, this is an area Garth has actually done a really good job.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
images

With proper exercise and nutrition, any growing young man can put on PLENTLY muscle barring serious illness or disease.

Beauvillier is no exception, muscle doesn't score goals either (unless your Anders Lee) , skill and hockey smarts do. Strange thing is, he seems to have skill and IQ but is not contributing. His point totals last year and this year don't pop off the page, he seemed to look best on a line with Ho-Sang, I think he needs to play on a speed line and we'll see a jump in production.

Kid could be a real good role player in the future, however, if he was coveted enough to be put in a package for a top-4 D, it's definitely something worth sleeping on.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Could bridge, but could possibly Nielsen him and sign him for a longer term contract at a salary well below market value for where you project him him to be shortly. Generally speaking, this is an area Garth has actually done a really good job.
Pelech comes to mind as a recent example of this. Also Hamonic (3.8), Tavares (5.5), Okposo (2.8), and Bailey (3.3) are all examples of guys Snow chose to give more term to in exchange for lower AAV (and they all ended up outperforming their cap hits comfortably by the end of their contracts). Leddy is on his way to outplaying his 5.5 down the road as well.

Second contracts and draft-day trading (especially with Chia) are Snow's biggest strengths.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
With proper exercise and nutrition, any growing young man can put on PLENTLY muscle barring serious illness or disease.

Beauvillier is no exception, muscle doesn't score goals either (unless your Anders Lee) , skill and hockey smarts do. Strange thing is, he seems to have skill and IQ but is not contributing. His point totals last year and this year don't pop off the page, he seemed to look best on a line with Ho-Sang, I think he needs to play on a speed line and we'll see a jump in production.

Kid could be a real good role player in the future, however, if he was coveted enough to be put in a package for a top-4 D, it's definitely something worth sleeping on.
AB is still only 20 1/2 years old. The kind of game he plays requires man strength to stay up on his skates and contend equally along the boards. He was listed as 182 pounds. He is physically fine for a perimeter type player but not for a kid who grinds along the walls.
He doesn't have to bulk up but will as a consequence of aging and strength training.
He is a good skater and has a very good release. It might take him another season, maybe two and he will be a very good 2 way forward for us. There are smaller players in the NHL that compete because they are older and stronger. He will get there I am confident. This is a player we have to have patience with. He has an easier road to get where he needs to that say Ho Sang, who also needs strength but in addition needs to follow coaching instructions.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I think that the lack of production of Beauvillier is also due to a lack of confidence with the puck. He sometimes seem nervous with the puck and seems to want to do too much or do everything at the same time. Moreover, there is no "real" place for him in the team. He was drafted for his offensive skills in the first round, but since entering the NHL, he has mostly been used as a stop-gap. He played for three games with Barzal and Bailey, then it's on the third line, then we send him centering the 4th line, back on the third line, to the wing, at center, back to the wing!

What would make sense would be to send him to the American league. There, he could have a better ice time, play in the first line (probably) and thus develop his offensive game. He could probably be used also in PP, 4on4, 3on3. All of the game situations in which he was often used in the junior ranks but almost never with the Isles.

Reactions: Costigan77

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I think the real problem with a Beauvillier and Ho Sang for that matter is they are not strong enough on the puck. They are easily separated and they lose a lot of in close battles. They need to hit the gym and get stronger

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I think the real problem with a Beauvillier and Ho Sang for that matter is they are not strong enough on the puck. They are easily separated and they lose a lot of in close battles. They need to hit the gym and get stronger

Yes! I think they are both NHL strength away from being above average players in the NHL.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I think strength is an issue for them and leadership on their line is also an issue. Barzal has Ladd and Eberle but Beau and Josh have f***ing Nelson. They need a vet 3rd line center that isn’t a black hole offensively. This is why I keep saying Brassard.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think strength is an issue for them and leadership on their line is also an issue. Barzal has Ladd and Eberle but Beau and Josh have ****ing Nelson. They need a vet 3rd line center that isn’t a black hole offensively. This is why I keep saying Brassard.

Beau's game is Benoit Hogue to a tee, when Hogue ended up with Ray Ferraro and the Great Patrick Flatley that was the answer, if we lose our 2 strong forwards, these 2 guys are playing with Lee next year.

I think they need vet linemates and should on different lines

Jane/Cizikas/JHS
Father Time/Beau/Ron Jeremy

I think that is how they get better

Reactions: PWJunior

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Beauvillier reminds me a lot of a guy like Tambellini, I don't think he'll ever stick as a top-6 player and is he really suited for a bottom 6 role? I don't think so.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Beauvillier reminds me a lot of a guy like Tambellini, I don't think he'll ever stick as a top-6 player and is he really suited for a bottom 6 role? I don't think so.

He just needs to put on a little bit of weight. He knows how to play the game, and you can see him trying to execute, but he is just muscled off too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad