Another Woodlief chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
"Kyle, how would you compare The Hockey News Draft preview and your newsletter on the draft?"

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
"I've noticed that you never seem to answer any questions about Rob Schremp, whether it be in the live chats Ive seen you do, or the the articles you produce at USAtoday. So I'm curious, as are many people I'm sure. What's the deal with Schremp and what is your take on him exactly?"

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Bravo, Brock!

Brock said:
"I've noticed that you never seem to answer any questions about Rob Schremp, whether it be in the live chats Ive seen you do, or the the articles you produce at USAtoday. So I'm curious, as are many people I'm sure. What's the deal with Schremp and what is your take on him exactly?"

I sent him a question about whether the Ducks should take Schremp with the 9th pick overall---assuming, of course, that he's still available at #9---and Woodlief did not answer my question. I thought that maybe he just didn't think it was a good question. There appears to be no doubt, though, that he doesn't care much for Schremp.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
"Who would ever have ranked Chistov ahead of Kovalchuk for 2001? Oh that's right, the RLR!

'1. Stan. Tchistov, LW 5-10/158 4/17/83 Av. Omsk (Rus.)
2. Ilya Kovalchuk, LW 6-2/203 4/15/83 Spartak (Russia)'

Drama sells eh?"

hmm, I wonder if he will answer

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
i asked him this:

"Do you take into consideration how your "humorous" but nasty comments such as the ones you said about Bourque, Schremp and Pineault will affect these kids?...after all they are just kids"

but he won't answer it....he won't answer something unless there's an oppurtunity to pat himself on the back

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Here is one of his chats from last year. It was interesting to compare his answers against how the draft unfolded (he did very well).

An example:

Howard Fort Worth Texas: Regarding the Draft, there is a player Matt Nickerson where do you see him going and what round?

Kyle Woodlief: Matt Nickerson is the biggest (6-5/223), meanest, nastiest S.O.B. in this year's draft. He will be the most sought after "enforcer" type in this year's lottery. At Red Line, we think that means he won't be around by the end of the third round.

Nickerson was taken with the second to last pick of the third round.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
AJ1982 said:
"Who would ever have ranked Chistov ahead of Kovalchuk for 2001? Oh that's right, the RLR!

'1. Stan. Tchistov, LW 5-10/158 4/17/83 Av. Omsk (Rus.)
2. Ilya Kovalchuk, LW 6-2/203 4/15/83 Spartak (Russia)'

Drama sells eh?"

hmm, I wonder if he will answer

Kovalchuk was #1 in the final rankings.

Does CSS having Chipchura at #1 in NA at midseason this year make them lose all credibility as well? That was probably even more of an out to lunch ranking...

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Well, he answered a question about Schremp

"columbus, ohio: Past problems and media sensationalism aside, is Robbie Schremp an 18-year old kid with a chip on his shoulder who was bored while playing against inferior players, is he a bad apple not worth drafting with the 4th overall pick, or is he an extremely talented player who would fit in well on a team like Columbus and perhaps become a first-line center the team desperately needs? He has to fall somewhere on the continuum between punk and gem. Any thoughts?"

"Kyle Woodlief: Schremp has absolute top end hands and skills, and if you were measuring on that basis alone, could be a top 5-6 pick. But he's of only average size (6-0/195) and he's only an average skater who lacks first step quickness and a top end separation gear. Combine that with his sense of entitlement and poor attitude, and there are some significant negatives. If it were me doing the drafting, I certainly wouldn't chance the 4th overall pick on him."

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Coming from him, that's a toned down answer on Schremp. At least he's acknowledging the kid's skill level.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Chili said:
Coming from him, that's a toned down answer on Schremp. At least he's acknowledging the kid's skill level.

If you've read his profile in the draft guide you'd see that they think he's a premium talent.

Those judging Redline only on the free articles don't really get a very good impression of their complete thoughts on players.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Those judging Redline only on the free articles don't really get a very good impression of their complete thoughts on players.

Something akin to judging posts on message boards?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Woodlief was interviewed this morning on Team 1200 radio (in Ottawa).....he was asked about this supposedly "weak" draft--he responded that it was not weak,just an "average draft"--not exceptional like last year's, but BETTER THAN THE 2002 DRAFT!

He said he agreed with the consensus that Ovechkin and Malkin were the top two
and that their was a 2nd tier of 9 prospects then a third tier for the next part of round one and round two.....that euros were better as a group than NA's this year,but that these go in cycles---really he did not say much we already didn't know...

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
George Bachul said:
It sure looks like Kyle is doing this one after his first cup of coffee, this is a brilliant read.
Although, I just read his Lisin answer and think he has him confused with someone else. The read I have on Lisin is that he is a guy with the best wheels in the draft without the hands to match. "best pure sniper" wouldn't be correct in that regard.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Kyle Woodlief said:
I suspect people who don't know about him [Korpikowski] only read the posers and wannabes like the folks at the hockey news, who don't employ any scouts and never set foot in junior rinks anywhere around the world, yet pretend to know something about the players they write about

Haha..

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
George Bachul said:
Although, I just read his Lisin answer and think he has him confused with someone else. The read I have on Lisin is that he is a guy with the best wheels in the draft without the hands to match. "best pure sniper" wouldn't be correct in that regard.

He doesn't have him confused. Redline actually ranks him #1 in skating and #1 in "best hands". Of course they also think he's worthless without the puck, extremely lazy and doesn't pass to teammates in better scoring positions...

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Intersting comment about 6 first round potential goalies. I think we've seen a lot of posters underrate how high the goalies are going to go because they aren't "sexy" picks. Certainly the HF Staff Mock Draft looks extremely unrealistic with Montoya slipping to 21. I'd be downright shocked if Schwarz or Montoya was available at #12. Dubnyk won't last past 25 at the latest IMO.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Got Through!!!!!!

San Jose, CA: Who would you say is the better prospect between Jakub Sindel and Victor Alexandrov?

Kyle Woodlief: Given the fact that Sindel really disappointed with his lack of effort this year and Alexandrov was the toughest of all the top prospects to see since he's from Kazakhstan, it's a tough call. Sindel is a great natural sniper with a superb shot and hands, but he certainly left me with a poor final impression. So I think if I were looking for an offensive weapon late in the first round, I might lean toward Alexandrov at this point.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I just asked a question about Regin, I hope he gets to it. I haven't seen much about Regin, and lately more attention has been focused on Hansen, whereas earlier Regin was supposed to be the highest Dane selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad