Another Setback for NTDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
In the wake of several top recruits and their head coach going to the CHL, the US NTDP U-17 team just finished out of the medals at the World U-17 Challenge. Three Canadian regional teams (Ontario, Pacific, Quebec) collected the hardware, with Ontario having the highest percentage of CHL players.

I was told that this is supposedly the best U-17 that the program has ever had. How does a team that has been together for 4 months get beaten THREE TIMES by regional Canadian teams put together two days before the tournament?? (Granted, the US won the last 2 tournaments in overtime finals). To say nothing of the U-18 team coming up empty at last years World U-18 Championship.

Frankly, I think USA Hockey is wasting these huge amounts of money on the NTDP. Save the money and let the elite players develop in the CHL and USHL.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Juan said:
In the wake of several top recruits and their head coach going to the CHL, the US NTDP U-17 team just finished out of the medals at the World U-17 Challenge. Three Canadian regional teams (Ontario, Pacific, Quebec) collected the hardware, with Ontario having the highest percentage of CHL players.

I was told that this is supposedly the best U-17 that the program has ever had. How does a team that has been together for 4 months get beaten THREE TIMES by regional Canadian teams put together two days before the tournament?? (Granted, the US won the last 2 tournaments in overtime finals). To say nothing of the U-18 team coming up empty at last years World U-18 Championship.

Frankly, I think USA Hockey is wasting these huge amounts of money on the NTDP. Save the money and let the elite players develop in the CHL and USHL.

This is a tough pill for the US U17 squad and USA Hockey to swallow. They have won 1 or 2 of these events before, but again, they are at such an advantage having already played with one another for months, compared with the regional Canadian squads. It's interesting Russia hasn't done as well as they should at the last couple of events, but who knows if they are always sending their best guys??

I guess the USA was still missing some of their best 1987 born players at this tourney, but heck, if you had of put Sydney Crosby on Team Atlantic, the USA might not have even made the semi's?? It's amazing how select teams from various countries can't beat a regional team from Canada, but in the end I guess this really shows the depth and talent of Canadian Hockey!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
HabLover said:
Team USA's main players aren't even NTDP alumni! Go figure. :dunno:

Lets see.....NTDP Alumni include:

Goalies
Al Montoya
Jim Howard (Injured)

Defense
Matt Hunwick
Corey Potter
Matt Carle
Jeff Likens
Mark Stuart
Ryan Suter

Forwards
David Booth
Jake Dowell
Pat Eaves
Ryan Kesler
Greg Moore
Patrick O'Sullivan
Brett Sterling
Stephen Warner

All of which are NTDP Alumni. Only 7 of the 22 players do not have any NTDP experience. Pretty good if you ask me. Also, while every player was a key player, I'd say the only non-NTDP alumni that were "main" players for the USA were:

Zach Parise
Dan Fritche
James Wisniewski

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Mobey said:
Lets see.....NTDP Alumni include:

Goalies
Al Montoya
Jim Howard (Injured)

Defense
Matt Hunwick
Corey Potter
Matt Carle
Jeff Likens
Mark Stuart
Ryan Suter

Forwards
David Booth
Jake Dowell
Pat Eaves
Ryan Kesler
Greg Moore
Patrick O'Sullivan
Brett Sterling
Stephen Warner

All of which are NTDP Alumni. Only 7 of the 22 players do not have any NTDP experience. Pretty good if you ask me. Also, while every player was a key player, I'd say the only non-NTDP alumni that were "main" players for the USA were:

Zach Parise
Dan Fritche
James Wisniewski

You could add Mike Eaves to that list as well............

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->