another rumbling:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
wrong, Avs.... contract is expiring and Colorado made its decision as is with most contracts you intend to leave a market a clause says prior to exiting you must have another organization in line to not violate the league by law or face a penalty.... Portland had this clause in their entire existence, if there was to be a change of affiliates, that had to be agreed upon, no matter who the affiliate was.... even Spectra had to be notified when the Pirates were sold in 2015/16, the outstanding lease to break said contract with Cross had to be paid whether Florida moved with the franchise or not

Washington did that in 2005, Portland got Anaheim, when Buffalo came in three years later before buying Rochester, they honored it, Portland got Arizona, when the Coyotes deal expired, they went to Springfield, and Florida came from San Antonio, until the team was sold to Springfield... I suspect most independent teams have similar clauses, as do those owned outright by NHL clubs since NHL Clubs are not bound to negotiate an affiliate lease with an arena operator, otherwise, Arizona couldn't step in to an internal dispute between the affiliate and the arena operator even when asked because it was later determined that that piece solely was on the affiliate/tenant.

No such bylaw exists in the AHL.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
Kansas City isn't big enough to support an AHL and ECHL franchise. How many on this site can remember, though, when Kansas City had franchises in MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL?

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
First of all,Seattle does NOT have an NHL team so who knows what is going to happen with that situation. Remember when Nashville was going to move to Hamilton, sorry, Pittsburgh was going, or was that that Phoenix was going to Hamilton? So who really cares where they are going to put their affiliate? And being close to the NHL team is not a requirement but being within an easy commute is a need.

If the Blues decide they want an affiliate, they will buy one. And while some of the current leases may include clauses stating for a team to leave they have to be replaced but no bylaw otherwise where are all the AHL teams in Worcester, manchester, Norfolk, etc. when all those teams moved?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
They're going to move the team to Milwaukee so Milwaukee will have two AHL teams. :sarcasm:

No, they are moving to Chicago so they can have THREE AHL teams for next season. The Amerks, the Wolves and the Blackhawks.

Seriously, I don't expect the Amerks to move next year or in the near future. They could use some renovations at the BCA.

Reactions: JMCx4

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Kansas City isn't big enough to support an AHL and ECHL franchise. How many on this site can remember, though, when Kansas City had franchises in MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL?

I remember, but the KC Scouts only lasted about 2 seasons and the Kings were a mess! IIRC KC Kings / KC - Omaha Kings /KC Kings again, then off to Sacramento in 1985.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
No, they are moving to Chicago so they can have THREE AHL teams for next season. The Amerks, the Wolves and the Blackhawks. ...
rimshot.gif

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
First of all,Seattle does NOT have an NHL team so who knows what is going to happen with that situation. Remember when Nashville was going to move to Hamilton, sorry, Pittsburgh was going, or was that that Phoenix was going to Hamilton? So who really cares where they are going to put their affiliate? And being close to the NHL team is not a requirement but being within an easy commute is a need.

On one hand, if anyone can make a "made team" into a dead team, it's us in the Pacific Northwest.

On the oh-so-irreverent other hand, we should have known when the last Quebec expansion effort was placed in limbo (not accepted, not killed) that this was going to happen. The league will always say they waited for groups to get their ducks in a row, they'll probably always deny they favor Seattle... but the exclusive expansion window seems to indicate to me that they favor Seattle. When I see someone say "it's not there yet, so there" (and you're not the first I've seen), all you need do is read back through what happened with the last two expansion processes to figure out what was going on. This is about as inevitable as it's going to get...

...and I will enjoy the irony of saying that when the old Seattle process should ALWAYS account for a hitch here, a delay there, et freaking cetera. However, 33,000 deposits of at least $500 kind of screams "done deal" to me. The sponsorship money was already in place, this cements it, and the city council knows it would be foolish to stand in the way of it.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
This thread started out with rumors that the Sabres may pull out of Rochester before it took twists and turns into a bunch of different topics. To bring it back full circle Pegula Sports and Entertainment just entered into an agreement with the city of Rochester to manage the Blue Cross Arena. The Sabres will not be pulling their AHL team out of Rochester anytime soon nor should they.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This thread started out with rumors that the Sabres may pull out of Rochester before it took twists and turns into a bunch of different topics. To bring it back full circle Pegula Sports and Entertainment just entered into an agreement with the city of Rochester to manage the Blue Cross Arena. The Sabres will not be pulling their AHL team out of Rochester anytime soon nor should they.

That actually sounds like a big waste of money. Why would you take on all of that just to pay the owner of the arena rent? They can barely manage the First Niagara Center or whatever the hell its called now. Most arenas dont profit. Havent kept up on it but I saw Syracuse is losing their indoorr soccer team so that may be crumbling. Arena Football hardly exists anymore. They have the Knighthawks and I think still the Razorsharks

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
That actually sounds like a big waste of money. Why would you take on all of that just to pay the owner of the arena rent? They can barely manage the First Niagara Center or whatever the hell its called now. Most arenas dont profit. Havent kept up on it but I saw Syracuse is losing their indoorr soccer team so that may be crumbling. Arena Football hardly exists anymore. They have the Knighthawks and I think still the Razorsharks
It all depends on the details of who pays the building maintenance etc. If Pegula keeps the concession revenue and just has the responsibility of paying employee salary it could be a good deal.

This is what Rob Esche has set up in Utica. He has a separate company from the Comets that manages the Aud which keeps the revenue from the concessions and bars and does very well. The Syracuse indoor soccer team that you mentioned is moving to Utica because Esche offered them a better deal. He is letting them use the Comets office staff for marketing and ticket sales and in return the Aud gets something like 12 more home games that he will profit from with the concessions and bars.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

Just an FYI... there's been rumors about the Knighthawks. There WERE rumors they were moving prior to this coming season, but it's too late for that. There are strong rumors (including a trademark filing) for an NLL team in Halifax in a year or two... and those rumors are at least persisting for now.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
To put this thread to bed...Pegula was playing hardball with the city of Rochester because he wanted control of Blue Cross Arena. Now he has it for the next 15 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad