another question- this time goalie masks

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
I've been playing for only a year, 90% of that being roller hockey outside on asphalt, but some indoor roller too. Of course that means being exposed to harsh conditions in terms of temperature, which in the summer results in lots and lots of sweat. I just noticed yesterday that my mask is starting to rust in a few places! :amazed: It's an ITECH mask, the kind intended for ice, so it's a decent mask, not just a $30 one from Sports Authority or something. But there are a few places where the metal bars of the cage intersect that are starting to show some faint signs of rust. I know you can unscrew the cage and take it off- is there any way to clean rust off, and prevent it from forming? Why did it form in the first place? Should I be doing something to the metal after I play each time? Also, the metal ring that holds the strap to the chin cup is completely rusted. I guess I'll have to figure something out in terms of replacing that, because I'm sure it will break eventually.

I spent a decent amount of money on this mask and I'm kind of surprised that it's rusting so quickly. Am I not taking good care of it? I take it out of the bag and let it air out after playing, but I don't treat the metal with anything.

Thanks...

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Rust will def start just from sweat. It is a good idea to rinse the mask off with fresh water once done. Even on ice, there is a big risk for rust on non stainless or chrome cages. Snaps, clips and screws will also rust. The screws and such are easily replaced. Be sure to pick up a packet of the never-sieze from your local autoparts store. Cost is about a buck. Fill the grooves in the first three turns of any screw before installing. Its normally right on the counter near the cash register. Typically used for coating the threads on a psark plug. That will assure that no mattr how rusted the outside gets, the screws will laways come out easily.

Do you have a car battery charger? Fill a plastic bucket with enough water to totally submerge the cage. Mix in a few cups of Sodium Bicarbonate or Sodium Cabonate. (wash soda) for about 3-4 gallons of water. Place the negative connecter to the cage and the positive cable to any steel bar or ribbon. A well brushed piece of angle iron or some such thing should work fine. Any steel thats not painted and will give good conductivity. Place the cage with the negative cable into your "bath" with the rusted side facing your submerged steel bar with positive cable attached. Be sure that they are not touching. An inch or two apart is fine. Turn on the battery charger and watch the meter. If it is pegged over to the high end add more water or seperate the cage and steel electrode wider apart. Barely moves up, add more Soada. This will take the rust and turn it into a dark sludge like material that can easily be brushed off.

Your basically using an elctolytic process to remove rust. Any time you do this water will be broken down into Hydrogen and oxygen...be sure this is done in a well ventilated area (outdoors preferably..it wont freeze while running) and away from any ignition source. I have used it on old Player cages and it works like a charm. You can also add the ring from your chin strap to get it rust free.

Here is a web site for more detailed instruciton. If your in Middle school or HS and you document you may even get extra credit for it as a science project/Lab.

http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/electrolyticrust.html

Stainless or Chromed cages are a little more costly but wont start rusting on you.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
Wow that rocks. No I'm not in school, I'm well past college age. I don't have a car battery charger or any random pieces of steel, but I'm sure my dad does. Thanks for the advice, that sounds like it'll work great!

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
I myself have had that problem over the years, masks rusting on me long before I figure they should... I haven't found such a clever way to remove the rust, as above, but I've one simple tip to help prevent the rust... The idea above about rinsing the mask is fine... and it sounds like you're airing it out after you play which is great... but make sure you take a towel to your mask after you play as well and just give the cage and any metal clips or screws a quick drying... I've started doing that with my new mask and it's been working fine...

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
once you get all that nasty rust off you might consider taking a clear nail polish to the areas where the bars meet. Maybe even a clear coat spray rustolium urothane to keep the rust off. A white flat rustolium would probably work just fine also.

if your looking for a good electrode you can pick up ALL THREAD at any local hardware store. ITs just a bar with a thread (1/4"-20 standard) it provides lots of surface for conduction and is pretty cheap. Once you have that and a cheapo battery charger from Target, walmart, Kmart, Canadian tire.....your set for life on any rust removal needs.

O.T. : It also makes for some neat science tricks for the kiddies...For instance....tell a youngster they can make plain old water into a fuel source...hydrogen and oxygen are different weights. You can easily set up a small stand and twin glass tube set up where they seperate and you can drop a lit toothpick into a glass tube. It will glow VERY brightly or cause small mini controled explosions with the hydrogen. Its a neat way to get a child whos not interested in science to change their minds. Be sure to do your research before attempting and follow safety guidelines.

Last edited:

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
i didnt read the whole thread, but most (if not all) masks now come in stainless steal. you can buy cage seperate.

I think I'm gonna go with an Itech 960/1 for my next mask

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
the average stainless Cats eye Cage for a goalie mask is 75.00 US. Many are Chrome plated. Its typical for a mask with a Stainless Steel cage to have an upcharge. of about 35 bucks on average. They also sell a Titanium cage for some models. Huge money but VERY light weight and very strong.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
I didn't know you could buy cages separately. Are they pretty much interchangeable? Can you get them in junior? Because I had to get a junior sized mask- I guess I have a small head. :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad