Another OLN Wrinkle - Blacked Out in NY Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
2forsbergaura1 said:
and it looks like Direct TV only has MSG and FOX SPORTS on their sports packs?

thanks

For folks in the regional markets, the local RSNs (MSG, Fox Sports Whatever, etc) are included as part of the standard Total Choice package. The Sports Pack gives all of the RSNs, but all live professional sports are blacked out (except on your local RSN). In order for you to get the NHL games on the RSNs, you need to subscribe to Center Ice.

The only real benefit of the Sports Pack is for folks on the West Coast. Many of the Eastern RSNs show replays of their games at like Midnight or 1AM (9 or 10 for us on the west coast), and the replays are not blacked out.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Tekneek said:
I have not been billed yet and DirecTV tells me that until they start billing it, the price could change. In the past, we would have already started paying for it but they are being told to hold off for now. I suspect the NHL is reserving the right to adjust the price and doesn't want anyone to be in a position where they have to refund money. Additionally, DirecTV usually has a channel that allows you to purchase the CI package using your remote by the second week of August and it has not shown up yet either. Not all providers, at least in the US, have even posted a price or started to take orders yet (which is very different from previous years).

Both Directv and Dishnetwork have updated the NHL CI page on their website (have the new NHL CI) and have updated pricing ... 129 Early Bird / 159 Regular Price

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Trizent said:
Both Directv and Dishnetwork have updated the NHL CI page on their website (have the new NHL CI) and have updated pricing ... 129 Early Bird / 159 Regular Price

I am sure that is how it will stay. I was just repeating what I was told by DirecTV.

KH1

That's why I'm a Time Warner guy. Dolan tried to pull the same stuff with the Yankees and he lost them for a season (and is now being out rated by YES.) He lost the Mets for half a year as well, and now they're also creating their own network.

The bottom line is, he's just not a smart guy.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Trizent said:

:cry:

It's $200 CDN up here... Bastards, but it's worth seeing all 82 Canucks games. That reminds me, I need to phone Bell.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
King Henry I said:

I'm not sure I would go that far. More likely he is a tad too arrogant and has bad timing. Some of the moves he has made would have been brilliant in a different business environment, but he picked the wrong time for them and ended up with egg on his face. You've got to know when to hold, and when to fold.

NYIsles1*

King Henry I said:
That's why I'm a Time Warner guy. Dolan tried to pull the same stuff with the Yankees and he lost them for a season (and is now being out rated by YES.) He lost the Mets for half a year as well, and now they're also creating their own network.

I do not know if if Dolan should be blamed for losing the Yankees and Mets, both saw the opportunity to make more money by having their own network. Maybe Dolan's poor job of selling sports gave them the idea of going on their own but in the end it's all about money and exposure. Why would the New York Yankees or Mets want or need to be associated with an arena?

As for Dolan with no more baseball advertisers (no more baseball games) plus the industry already hostile to him you can bet teams and their loyal sponsors (Mets, Jets) will not want to be associated with Msg and that is where Dolan is going to take a huge loss. He no longer has the kind of leverage where he can force an advertiser who wants to sell his product on a baseball game to have to also sell it on a hockey game also.

Regading OLN Comcast has all the leverage here because they have exclusive rights, what's happening here is kind of like what Dolan did when he created Metro and shut out fans.

Tra La La

Feb 13, 2003
Buffalo, New York
Seems Comcast is trying to provide OLN to more viewers. And protect NHl Fans. As I've said in other posts OLN is part of a 70$ a month Digital Gold Package in Buffalo. So by Comcast saying that under those Circumstances Buffalo would'nt get OLN Hockey. It protects Buffalo Fans from being gouged 70$ a month. Now if Adelphia Buffalo wants to Carry OLN Hockey. OLN would have to be Available on Expanded Basic. (Which I think refers to Channels 14- 99 NON DIGITAL )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad