another good article on the present situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

The Messenger said:
The Shots at Wirtz and Jacobs makes the article a great read ..

Those are owners that operate "within their budgets". Thats what all the player apologists want... a league full of Wirtzs' and Jacobs'.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Tim Sassone said:
Bettman is simply a lost cause. He is a pawn for the hard-line owners such as Boston's Jeremy Jacobs, the Blackhawks' Bill Wirtz and those groups who own the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames that insist they can't survive unless there is a new system that includes a hard salary cap.

The same goes for the owners of the Carolina Hurricanes, Nashville Predators and the other so-called small-market clubs Bettman is bending over backward to appease.

The same goes for Bill Wirtz, the billionaire Hawks owner, and Boston's Jacobs, both of whom have fortunes but refuse to spend it to be competitive. If Wirtz can't operate without a salary cap, then sell the team to somebody who will make the Hawks a great franchise again instead one that finds itself the butt of jokes for how it is run.

That's exactly my thoughts !

mooseOAK*

Sure there are guys like Wirtz around putting pressure on Bettman for the wrong reasons but I believe that the majority of the owners just don't want to lose their shirts on the franchise, they aren't in it to make a lot of money. If they were an NHL franchise is a dumb way to do it if you aren't in a few of the biggest markets.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
bhawk24bob said:
it comes from tim sassone, probably the most respected hockey writer in chicago (i know, there's only 3 of them). i especially like the part about edmonton and its owner, because as we all know, reality is hard to handle sometimes.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=38384156

I think it was a spectacular article.

I do want to say this... I truly believe the NHL can survive without a cap. The Owners just have to govern themselves and the players and everyone else cannot cry collusion.

Bottom line.

If the Owners say, "We are not going to over spend and we have rules in place to prevent this from happening" then why should the PA care.

mooseOAK*

Biggest Canuck Fan said:
I think it was a spectacular article.

I do want to say this... I truly believe the NHL can survive without a cap. The Owners just have to govern themselves and the players and everyone else cannot cry collusion.

Bottom line.

If the Owners say, "We are not going to over spend and we have rules in place to prevent this from happening" then why should the PA care.

If the owners agree among themselves not to spend money then the PA will definitely cry collusion.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Biggest Canuck Fan said:
The Owners just have to govern themselves and the players and everyone else cannot cry collusion.

Bottom line.

Owners governing themselves = collusion

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mooseOAK said:
If the owners agree among themselves not to spend money then the PA will definitely cry collusion.
Now that is Priceless ..

Owners set out to run profitable businesses, like any other company in the world by trying to keep cost down and the PA will File collusion ..

The main purpose of a Hard Cap is to control mistakes and spending by foolish GM's that hurt everyone ..

This post of yours is a GEM ..,

mooseOAK*

The Messenger said:
Now that is Priceless ..

Owners set out to run profitable businesses, like any other company in the world by trying to keep cost down and the PA will File collusion ..

The main purpose of a Hard Cap is to control mistakes and spending by foolish GM's that hurt everyone ..

This post of yours is a GEM ..,

How naive.

NHL or any other sports franchises are not "like any other company in the world".

If, in their efforts to run a profitable business the owners agree not to sign any free agents thereby depriving the players a chance to earn money then the NHLPA will be screaming collusion. And they would be correct.

The only way for that not to happen is to have cost control built into the CBA.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
By the way... this is collusion...

A secret agreement between two or more parties for a fraudulent, illegal, or deceitful purpose.

So if the owners outright tell the players we will not pay those salary demands, and if other owners say we will not either, and there is no secret agreement to drfraud or decieve, then how is it collusion?

mooseOAK*

Biggest Canuck Fan said:
By the way... this is collusion...

A secret agreement between two or more parties for a fraudulent, illegal, or deceitful purpose.

So if the owners outright tell the players we will not pay those salary demands, and if other owners say we will not either, and there is no secret agreement to drfraud or decieve, then how is it collusion?
At the very least they will have to prove in a court of law that it is not collusion and just an amazing coincidence because the NHLPA would not stand idly by and let that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad