Another dual-citizen switches sides (Jason Bailey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Just thought I'd pass along that Michigan recruit Jason Bailey, who played on Team Ontario's gold medal winning squad at the U17 world challenge, will be joining the USNTDP's U18 team this year. It seems he's elligible as his mother is American so he has dual-citizenship.

My question is, what kind of player is he? Could he have a big impact on the team?

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
cagney said:
Just thought I'd pass along that Michigan recruit Jason Bailey, who played on Team Ontario's gold medal winning squad at the U17 world challenge, will be joining the USNTDP's U18 team this year. It seems he's elligible as his mother is American so he has dual-citizenship.

My question is, what kind of player is he? Could he have a big impact on the team?
it doesnt suprise me, if it werent for canadians then the americans would have no players.......(is praise, o'sullivan, hull, etc)

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Kugel said:
it doesnt suprise me, if it werent for canadians then the americans would have no players.......(is praise, o'sullivan, hull, etc)

Yes because those are the only 3 American players in the world :shakehead

db23

Bailey is a big strong power forward type, but won't be a big scorer. I guess it makes sense for him to locate in Ann Arbor a year early. He is probably most similar to current Wolverines and former NTDP wingers Mike Brown and Eric Nystrom.

BCCHL inactive

I don't like the term "switching sides" (unless the player has previously represented Canada, but that is not the case here).

As a dual citizen, he has every right to play for the USA as he does Canada.

Quit being bitter.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
cagney said:

No big loss. He was a 4th liner on Team Ontario. Doesn't surprise me that the team that stiffed and finished out of the medals wants to pick him up.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kugel said:

Oh, you mean a player that was born in the United States, one that has an American mother and who was born in Canada while his parents were on vacation, and another who also has an American mother and received a considerable amount of his training in the U.S.? Great examples sparky...... :shakehead

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Van said:
I don't like the term "switching sides" (unless the player has previously represented Canada, but that is not the case here).

As a dual citizen, he has every right to play for the USA as he does Canada.

Quit being bitter.

He has represented Canada (at least IMO) which is what makes it more of an issue in my eyes.

As for the title, after steping away from the computer for a while and coming back I realize it could be taken a number of different ways. I mostly figured it would catch the eyes of those who have been involved in the debate over dual-citizens that has come up a number of time on the boards. I myself have mixed feelings on the issue and in spite of the usual bickering, I find that some people usually add a fresh perspective on it each time it comes up.

As for Bailey, I really wasn't sure what he brings to the table as he played in a league I don't follow at all. It sounds like he's a decent player but it also dosen't seem like he'll be a big issue in the dual-citizen debate in the future (ie. he's not going to make contributions the way Hull, Deadmarsh etc. have).

BCCHL inactive

cagney said:
He has represented Canada (at least IMO) which is what makes it more of an issue in my eyes.

Playing for Team Ontario in a Hockey Canada sanctioned event is not representing your country.

There may have been international teams involved, but it was a Canadian tournament.

leafaholix*

It's just a move to make him more noticable to the scouts.

If he plays as a Canadian, he probably wouldn't have a shot at Team Canada (WJC)... if he plays as an American, the chances are higher that he'll make that squad and get more attention from NHL scouts.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Van said:
Playing for Team Ontario in a Hockey Canada sanctioned event is not representing your country.

There may have been international teams involved, but it was a Canadian tournament.

Well, I'm not going to split hairs.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Kugel said:

Dont forget Daryl Sittlers daughter playes for the US womens team.

BTW, I heard that Chelios' son is Canadian, born at least.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I don't particularly like occurences like these, but I certainly understand why players in the situation of Bailey make the decision.

He will be able to play a much more prominent role on Team USA and will get further noticed. It advances his career, or rather, enhances his career possibilities to shine, and that's his business. As a dual citizen he has every right to make this decision.

Like I said, I'm not saying I LIKE it, but its his right, and Canadians need to look at both sides of it. Sure, we may not get any hockey players "from the US" (note the quotations), but a lot of our top athletes are actually foreign born, or have historically been (Donovan Bailey, Igali, etc).

leafaholix*

Mountie said:
I don't particularly like occurences like these, but I certainly understand why players in the situation of Bailey make the decision.

He will be able to play a much more prominent role on Team USA and will get further noticed. It advances his career, or rather, enhances his career possibilities to shine, and that's his business. As a dual citizen he has every right to make this decision.

Like I said, I'm not saying I LIKE it, but its his right, and Canadians need to look at both sides of it. Sure, we may not get any hockey players "from the US" (note the quotations), but a lot of our top athletes are actually foreign born, or have historically been (Donovan Bailey, Igali, etc).
Good point.

Sammy*

Mountie said:

You speak with alot of sense on this matter.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canadian_man said:
Dont forget Daryl Sittlers daughter playes for the US womens team.

BTW, I heard that Chelios' son is Canadian, born at least.

Yeah, but Sittler's kids were born in the United States. As for Chelios's sons, the only way they are Canadian born is if they were born when he played in Montreal, and I don't think they are that old. A better, and confirmed example would be Patrick Eaves, who was born while his dad Mike played in Calgary.

Funkymoses

I think a major reason for his move is the fact that he's going to Michigan, and didn't want to play Jr. A (B?) again. The U18 team plays a more challenging schedule, I'm sure... plus it's in Ann Arbor, where he'll be for the next few years anyway.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Rabid Ranger said:
Oh, you mean a player that was born in the United States, one that has an American mother and who was born in Canada while his parents were on vacation, and another who also has an American mother and received a considerable amount of his training in the U.S.? Great examples sparky...... :shakehead
i guess you cant take a joke....i was referring to prasie's dad...JP who played for Canada, and o'sullivan's dad is or was canadian.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Let the kid play ..the only reason I'd care is because of the WAY someone like Brett Hull went to play for the Us after they garuntee him a spot..this kid is doing it early in his career...And for all you Canadina purists out there may I remind you of the Peter.. I am Canadian cause I need a place to play hockey cause I am in a contract dispute Nevede (whew that took a bit) .....played for Canada in the Albertiville Olympics and not alot of people *****ed then

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, but Sittler's kids were born in the United States. As for Chelios's sons, the only way they are Canadian born is if they were born when he played in Montreal, and I don't think they are that old. A better, and confirmed example would be Patrick Eaves, who was born while his dad Mike played in Calgary.

One of his kids was born while he was playing in Montreal. I remember because I have an old recorded game from 1990 and they mentioned his 5 year old son. I think his name was also Chris.

gorrillaunit18

Candadians are just mad

They are mad because people want to play in america and not canada. If it was the other way around and we said something then you would tell us to stop whining. :bow:

Sammy*

us88team said:
They are mad because people want to play in america and not canada. If it was the other way around and we said something then you would tell us to stop whining. :bow:
The only reason, if you take off your bias hat, that guys who were born & bred in Canada want to play for the States is their liklihood of playing for a national team is much much higher if they declare themselves for all time as playing for the States.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad