OT: Another cheese question.... tell me about your favourite Greek Feta cheese brand.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After doing some research, it appears the most desirable Greek Feta is made from sheep's milk or a combination of sheep and goat milk (EU manufacturers are allowed to have no more than 30% goat milk in feta cheese).
Looking at the various feta cheese brands in supermarkets (Sobey, Safeway, Walmart, etc) it appears that most feta cheese available here in Calgary is made from cows milk. I find this cows milk feta to be somewhat bland. I always buy feta in brine. Not sure if not having it submersed in brine makes a difference. I would think it lasts longer in brine but maybe I'm mistaken.

Any brand recommendations and where to get sheep milk feta locally? I'd like to try it. Any recommendations on good cows milk feta? I recently bought goat milk feta (Woolwich brand). It has more flavour than the cow milk feta that I've tried.

Feta_in_brine.png

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Feta in EU is one of those protected, traditional trademarks so it's really restricted who, where and what ingredients can be used.

I don't know if that holds also for feta manufactured in EU but exported elsewhere

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I've never really thought about a feta cheese brand. The better feta is more feta.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I've never really thought about a feta cheese brand. The better feta is more feta.
Different brands make their feta out of different types of milk. The type of milk that its made out of, makes a difference. I think cows milk is the worst milk to make feta out of.
Sheep milk is the best... but where the hell do you find sheep milk in Canada?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad