Proposal: Another Caps - Canes trade

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I will make it clear from the start: the trade could happen only if BMac somehow finds a way to get rid of Orpik's contract. My proposal goes of off that thought, nothing more. Also, if trade below happens, I'd assume Caps would trade DSP and Connolly to add picks in 60-90ish territory to trade up and get back in the 1st round on a draft day.
So,
Grubauer and 31st pick for Skinner (25% retained by the Canes). Your thoughts?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Zero interest In Skinner even with salary retained. Terrible fit.
Arguments? Vrana has potential but doesnt strike me as elite scorer. More like depth scorer. Oshie and Ovie are in 30+ years of age territory. With Backstrom on the line, to me that's a great fit for the Caps

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
So..

Capdump Orpik and replace with rookie
Give away 1st
Basicly give away another 1st (Gruby return)
Replace Connolly with a rookie
Replace DSP with a rookie

To have Skinner.

While our top6 already looks good.

I would skip this time.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Arguments? Vrana has potential but doesnt strike me as elite scorer. More like depth scorer. Oshie and Ovie are in 30+ years of age territory. With Backstrom on the line, to me that's a great fit for the Caps

That can be argued. Vrana has a lot of tools gong for him to become and elite scorer. He might never be, but the potential is there. It would also add alot of salary to the Capitals which they cant afford. I would rather have Burakovsky-Vrana as the 2nd and 3rd LW for 3,8 where both have potential to break out in a big way. Skinner at around 4,3(25% retained) isnt a luxury the Caps can take on and they will have to move a lot of other pieces. So hes just not a good fit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

First of all, its not a great fit. The Capitals are a very structured team. Skinner is a notoriously unstructured player. -27 is ugly. He is a left shot. He is not going to get any first unit pp time.

You are judging Vrana's upside based on one rookie season? The Capitals will certainly not be ready to bump him down the depth chart for a guy like Skinner already.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I will make it clear from the start: the trade could happen only if BMac somehow finds a way to get rid of Orpik's contract. My proposal goes of off that thought, nothing more. Also, if trade below happens, I'd assume Caps would trade DSP and Connolly to add picks in 60-90ish territory to trade up and get back in the 1st round on a draft day.
So,
My thoughts? No Thanks. Want nothing to do with Skinner. This trade has all the potential to blowup hard for the Caps.

Skinner is signed for 1 more season at a salary the Caps can’t afford anyway. This is basically pissing away assets for a player we’d rather not retain.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What about Skinner strikes you as an elite scorer?

Over the past 2 years combined Skinner is #5 in the league for 5v5 goals with 46. That is tied with Tarasenko (46) and ahead of Kucherov (45), Laine (41), Ovechkin (40), Malkin (40), Patrick Kane (40), Crosby (38), etc.

What about that list doesn’t say “elite scorer” to you? Plus he’s in a contract year.

Skinner doesn’t need PP time as he isn’t particularly great on the PP. He gets a ton of dirty goals driving the slot/net. He gets a lot of goals on off-angle shots from down low. He uses his skating to deceive defenses and goalies. Great finisher. He’s gotten very good at anticipating and avoiding contact while still being engaged.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So,

No thank you. Skinner is fine and all, and worth a decent return....but the Caps really don’t need outside help in their lineup....unless they lose Carlson.

And if that happens, Skinner won’t be a need. At all. Now Faulk....on the other hand? Sure....we may need to look in that direction. And quickly.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Skinner is a great skater, I just don't think he fits our top 6 or their needs at this point.

I'm not really interested in adding much to the roster at this point beyond picks. If we have to move guys I'd rather the return be draft picks.

The lead is totally being buried on this deal, I am at a loss for why we would trade both Connolly and DSP. I get it if DSP is too expensive, but if DSP is resigned it's for a cheap deal. So why move two proven bottom 6 performers that both just contributed to a SC for mid-round draft picks that seldom actually make the NHL.

Sometimes I feel like people make proposals because they're bored with the roster. We just watched this team win a Cup, I don't really see why they're making moves beyond salary dumps and at that point they're only bringing back prospects/picks.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Help me out with this. +/- can be a flawed stat but almost everyone agreed that Ovechkin's -35 was an indicator of poor play. On a team where Aho was +4 how was Skinner a team worse -27?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
ok...that's not the point. Ok...Ryan was -15 and Stemp -8. I don't think that -27 is to be blamed on his linemates

3v3 in OT, Skinner was likely on the ice for the L there, Ryan played on the PP, Stempniak was injured most of this season.

Skinner was dangerous on both ends of the ice this season... more so then a couple seasons ago.

I think a lot of it was he was tuning out Peters.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
No need to argue the point. I don't think that's enough for Skinner anyway. I'd expect more than Grub (worth a second) and the 31st (near a second) while retaining salary for him too boot. This is a bad deal for CAR. Skinner, if traded, will go for more than that to a team that needs him. He's not a good fit for Wash.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
ok...that's not the point. Ok...Ryan was -15 and Stemp -8. I don't think that -27 is to be blamed on his linemates

It's because Skinner sucks defensively. When he's at his best, he's "adequate" defensively, but he's not a strong 2-way player.

+/- probably isn't a good measure though, as Skinner will be on the ice when the goalie is pulled or when the team is pushing late which hits +/-, but there is no doubt in my mind that he isn't strong defensively.

Reactions: Unsustainable

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's because Skinner sucks defensively. When he's at his best, he's "adequate" defensively, but he's not a strong 2-way player.

+/- probably isn't a good measure though, as Skinner will be on the ice when the goalie is pulled or when the team is pushing late which hits +/-, but there is no doubt in my mind that he isn't strong defensively.

Oh I understand about the empty net goals on a team that loses a lot, but -27 is pretty epic. Yes, he is not very good defensively and I am not sure how that fits into what the Capitals are doing.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Skinner is a great skater, I just don't think he fits our top 6 or their needs at this point.

I'm not really interested in adding much to the roster at this point beyond picks. If we have to move guys I'd rather the return be draft picks.

The lead is totally being buried on this deal, I am at a loss for why we would trade both Connolly and DSP. I get it if DSP is too expensive, but if DSP is resigned it's for a cheap deal. So why move two proven bottom 6 performers that both just contributed to a SC for mid-round draft picks that seldom actually make the NHL.

Sometimes I feel like people make proposals because they're bored with the roster. We just watched this team win a Cup, I don't really see why they're making moves beyond salary dumps and at that point they're only bringing back prospects/picks.
Thats because both Connolly and DSP suck and Stanley Cup win doesnt prove anything long term. Connolly f***ed up with his stone hands many possessions that Eller been trying to create in the o-zone all playoffs. His shot is inconsistent and he's a pretty bad player overall. 3rd rounder is good return for him considering that he came to the Caps while being UFA at 24 years of age (which says something). DSP was good at scoring timely goals but you cant bet on him scoring timely goals for next 2-3 years. What if he wont? Outside from that, he's a fatter Connolly. Cycles are dead when he touches the puck. Those two are easily replaceable players and Connolly on a 2nd PP unit is a joke.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
First of all, its not a great fit. The Capitals are a very structured team. Skinner is a notoriously unstructured player. -27 is ugly. He is a left shot. He is not going to get any first unit pp time.

You are judging Vrana's upside based on one rookie season? The Capitals will certainly not be ready to bump him down the depth chart for a guy like Skinner already.
Ovechkin was bad defensively till Trotz got behind the wheel. Not an argument. What matters is that he's a proven scorer and elite talent. He wouldn't get time on 1st PP unit but he would give a big boost to the 2nd one which isnt used at all cause it sucks and he would be very good fit playing with two sound defensively guys in Oshie and Backstrom.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
My thoughts? No Thanks. Want nothing to do with Skinner. This trade has all the potential to blowup hard for the Caps.

Skinner is signed for 1 more season at a salary the Caps can’t afford anyway. This is basically pissing away assets for a player we’d rather not retain.
The best counter argument in the entire thread. I get that but if he helps to repeat, I dont give a damn about Grubauer and 31st

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't really want Grubauer and if Skinner is coming back Samsonov would be part of the ask. You can send a cap dump as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin was bad defensively till Trotz got behind the wheel. Not an argument. What matters is that he's a proven scorer and elite talent. He wouldn't get time on 1st PP unit but he would give a big boost to the 2nd one which isnt used at all cause it sucks and he would be very good fit playing with two sound defensively guys in Oshie and Backstrom.

except that Vrana picked up his defensive game and Trotz uses Backstrom and Oshie in a shutdown role. The Caps don't need the offense that Skinner brings and the cap hit he brings it at. If he was a good fit, the Caps couldn't resign him. If he is a bad fit he will be bitching all season that he is in a contract year and isn't getting any pp time.

No thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad