Announcing the 2005 Create-A-Draft Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Since there are so many theories about how the draft will work, I created a draft simulator that allows you to easily try out various scenarios, and see how a sample draft might look like. The program shows you how many balls each team has, their chances of winning, etc. It's flexible enough to do a weighted draft, or a straight one ball per team if you wish.

You can adjust how many ping pong balls teams start with, how many they get or lose for making the playoffs, missing the playoffs, winning the Cup, winning the Lottery, and how many years to go back, from one to four years, etc. You can choose a minimum and maximum number of balls teams can have, so you can force all teams to have at least one ball, allow teams to have 0 balls, no more than 10, no more than 100, whatever you want. There's even an option to give a team's remaining balls to the worst team left once they've been chosen.

Use negative numbers to take balls away, and positive numbers to give them. For example, if you want to take away 2 balls for each time a team made the playoffs, enter -2 for "Each Year Made Playoffs". Or, if you're generous and want to reward the good teams, make it +2, and teams will get more balls if they made the playoffs a lot.

You don't need to enter all blanks, just leave something blank and it won't be factored in.

Any questions or bugs found, just post here.

The web page is at http://members.shaw.ca/vorpalbunnies/draftsim/

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Very nice, but why are there separate fields for the maximum number of balls, and the starting number of balls? Wouldn't those numbers be the same?

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Man i hope my team has better luck in the actual draft than i did during this simulation.

Pretty cool

cjbhab*

Edmonton got first overall in mine, I hope it happens that way in real life, I'd love to see crosby in edmonton.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
So I did it 10 times using the rules eklund reported.

Boston and Phoenix won twice.
Islanders, Florida, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Detroit and Carolina won once.

A-Fan

Mar 11, 2002
Visit site
This is what I got for mine...

Draft Order:
1. Buf
2. Edm
3. Phx
4. Ott
5. CBJ
6. Nsh
7. Tam
8. NJD
9. NYR
10. Pit
11. Det
12. NYI
13. Atl
14. Min
15. Fla
16. Mtl
17. Dal
18. LAK
19. Ana
20. Wsh
21. Chi
22. Stl
23. Bos
24. Van
25. Tor
26. Car
27. Cgy
28. Col
29. Phi
30. SJS

Very Interesting!!! Nice job Pecafan! :yo:

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
I hope I'm wrong on this, but as Canuck fan, its so hard to even realistically have hope of winning the lottery, as Vancouver has been shafted in almost everything that has to do with NHL drafting its not even funny anymore.

The Joker*

1. Tam 2. Cgy

Weird... that's the only one I did and it was weighted too lol

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
struckmatch said:
I hope I'm wrong on this, but as Canuck fan, its so hard to even realistically have hope of winning the lottery, as Vancouver has been shafted in almost everything that has to do with NHL drafting its not even funny anymore.

Well, let me grant you closure: Vancouver will not win the 2005 NHL Draft Lottery.

creative giant*

struckmatch said:

First time I did it Vancouver got first overall.

I hope that doesn't happen though :)

cjbhab*

This thing shows that anything is possible this year, good stuff, nice tool. Thanks for the work you did.

djtino224

May 12, 2005
Long Island
This was a great time killer. Nice work!

I did it ten times at random. Atlanta and Carolina both won twice, and the other draft lottery winners were: Calgary, Nashville, Minnesota, NY Rangers, Philadelphia and Montreal.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
boo. I just ran this thing 6 times in a row, with a very lightly weighted system and the Flames always picked 20-30. :cry:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh won it first try for me . . . hope that it is fate. I had it set for 4 balls, 3 years standings, -1 for making the playoffs, -1 for Stanley Cup, -1 for winning the Lottery:

Draft Order:
1. Pit 2. Bos 3. Nsh 4. NJD 5. Car 6. Van 7. Wsh 8. CBJ 9. Phx10. Ott11. SJS12. Cgy13. Buf14. Mtl15. Chi16. Min17. Ana18. Stl19. Edm20. Tam21. NYR22. Phi23. Tor24. Atl25. LAK26. Fla27. Det28. Col29. Dal30. NYI

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Hmm...ran 10 times (3 balls per team, lose 1 ball for each year playoffs made over 4 years, lose 1 ball for every 1st overall pick and winning stanley cup), and the Oilers picked:

11,26,19,4,30,2,4,20,8,6 for an average of 13th overall.

Changed it to 3 years, and it went to:

7,25,1,14,23,23,5,27,27,14 for an average of around 16th overall, despite better odds. I've got a feeling that on draft day I'm either going to be very happy, or very very sad.

I think a new field should be created where a team gains a ball for every playoff series loss to Dallas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->