Movies: Annihilation (2018)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I’ve read it’s quite the spectacle, and it might be more awe-inspiring in theaters vs. at homes. Plus I haven’t been to the movies in a while, and there isn’t much else out in theaters that I want to see.

Oh, and don’t tell anyone, but I didn’t actually know it was on Netflix in the States. Whoops.

Don't tell anyone, but you don't need Netflix to watch it

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It is one of those films that benefit from a big screen and state of the art sound, though. It's not going to be quite the same experience otherwise.

I actually don't enjoy seeing films at a theater

Even when sitting at the back, I find it difficult to see the entire screen at once, and I find action scenes to be rather blurry

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Just got back from seeing it. Not really sure how to talk about it, or describe it. The effects were outstanding, and it was full of really great ideas. It did feel a little hollow, though. I think it’s because there wasn’t a foundational message to take away from this movie.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just got back from seeing it. Not really sure how to talk about it, or describe it. The effects were outstanding, and it was full of really great ideas. It did feel a little hollow, though. I think it’s because there wasn’t a foundational message to take away from this movie.
One of the things that I liked about the movie is that it didn't have a "foundational" message, at least not in any prescribed sense. I took Annihilation as a new Adam and Eve story, so maybe in a pinch that might be considered in its own way "foundational."

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
One of the things that I liked about the movie is that it didn't have a "foundational" message, at least not in any prescribed sense. I took Annihilation as a new Adam and Eve story, so maybe in a pinch that might be considered in its own way "foundational."
I can see that. I wouldn’t say this movie has a straightforward path to its message, if that’s the case, but a lot of really good sci-fi films don’t. Personally, I enjoy it when a film doesn’t hold my hand all the way to the end. This was definitely one of those types of movies.

As for Garland’s other work, is Ex Machina similar to Annihilation? I never got around to seeing Ex Machina, although I wanted to when it was in theaters. I’ll give it a watch here soon, but should I go in expecting something like Annihilation?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I can see that. I wouldn’t say this movie has a straightforward path to its message, if that’s the case, but a lot of really good sci-fi films don’t. Personally, I enjoy it when a film doesn’t hold my hand all the way to the end. This was definitely one of those types of movies.

As for Garland’s other work, is Ex Machina similar to Annihilation? I never got around to seeing Ex Machina, although I wanted to when it was in theaters. I’ll give it a watch here soon, but should I go in expecting something like Annihilation?
They are very different movies in my book. Annihilation had a much greater impact on me than Ex Machina. I don't know if this makes sense exactly, but the aftertaste is totally different.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
They are very different movies in my book. Annihilation had a much greater impact on me than Ex Machina. I don't know if this makes sense exactly, but the aftertaste is totally different.
Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. Some movies leave a really lasting impression, whereas others won’t even leave an aftertaste at all. I’ll still give Ex Machina a watch. I’ll just temper my expectations a bit going into it.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
im the opposite. I thought Annihilation was alright. I still watch Ex Machina every couple months. loved it.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
It was pretty good overall and I understand the whole movie is basically a metaphor for how cancer destroys us as our body (or world in this case) turns on itself. The ending visuals were really cool and I got the whole "fighting ourselves and how experiences change us" vibe. That said, I hate Natalie Portman as an actress so this gets a 6/10 for me.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Reminded me a lot of Solaris and Stalker by Tarkovsky in terms of themes and the sense of beauty and wonder with an underpinning foundation of ambiguity and unnatural and invasive horror.

I think Garland admits being inspired by the latter for this film.

I enjoyed the unsettling imagery and the slow degradation of the rational mind in the face of something truly unexplainable.

While the "cancer" theme is quite apparent, I also saw the movie, as others in this thread did, as an allegory for self-destruction and the inability to overcome your own personal demons - you are in a sense, fighting yourself. What they encountered in there was in large part a result of what they brought in with them.

I will say that Ex Machina had a little more impact for me because of the more personal nature of the conflict.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Annihilation is a movie in which it would be interesting to see how people on acid react to it. It's quite trippy to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad