Movies: Annihilation (2018)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Are you referring to anything specifically?
I think there are some pretty profound ideas swimming around in Annihilation, that a director of Tarkovsky's calibre could have found more ways to explore.
I take the movie to be a new Adam and Eve story on one level, to name one concept that I don't think gets fully explored. Though I loved the subtle ending, so maybe I am just be tough on the movie.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
loved the books [it's a trilogy] I'd rec them to anyone, some of my favs over the past 5 years or so

Reactions: Andy

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just left the theater. What a fantastic movie. The self-destruction metaphor really hit home and Garland did a great job of keeping it subtle so as not to beat us over the head with it. I guess there's a cancer metaphor in there too which I get as well.

Visually amazing, i saw things I've never seen before and I haven't felt this way leaving a movie in a real long time.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think it needed a Tarkovsky- or a Kubrick- level director to do justice to the vision lurking in the script.

Disagree.

I think Garland did a really good job establishing the scope of the film. It wasn't on the same mega-scale that Interstellar, or even Arrival, was on (helped a lot by the solo acoustic guitar making up a lot of the score IMHO). The movie took a lot of big concepts and shrunk them down to a more personalized experience.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Just left the theater. What a fantastic movie. The self-destruction metaphor really hit home and Garland did a great job of keeping it subtle so as not to beat us over the head with it. I guess there's a cancer metaphor in there too which I get as well.

Visually amazing, i saw things I've never seen before and I haven't felt this way leaving a movie in a real long time.

There's a lot of metaphors in there/interpretations in there, even the broader ones are interesting, "creation/modification=destruction of something" is "neat". It sucks when films like this look like they are going to lose money, it's a great thought provoking "human" sci fi film which studios should want to make.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It sucks when films like this look like they are going to lose money, it's a great thought provoking "human" sci fi film which studios should want to make.

It's losing money??? Yeah that is pretty lame. Didn't Arrival and Blade Runner lose $$$ too?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's losing money??? Yeah that is pretty lame. Didn't Arrival and Blade Runner lose $$$ too?
Doesn't help that pulling it from so many theaters gives out an absolutely horrible message to the public. Avid movie watchers would see that and maybe it piques their interest that there's something different about this movie, but most people will see that and just think it's crap.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sad that it's not getting its due. People will go see Transformers but not something that is as visual stunning but actually gets your thinking.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
just sitting down to watch this now. Love Garland so high hopes

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Just finished it. Thought it was okay, though I was bored at times waiting for shit to happen

Predator meets Arrival, but not really

Similar to Sphere as well in some ways

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyThoughts

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I wanted to love it .. I really did .. But something was missing. The film had some really great moments and a thought provoking conclusion but I just can't get around calling it "great."

For what's it worth, my girlfriend hated it. And some of the final scenes were absolutely cringe worthy/laughable.

Reactions: ArchAngel55

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I wanted to love it .. I really did .. But something was missing. The film had some really great moments and a thought provoking conclusion but I just can't get around calling it "great."

For what's it worth, my girlfriend hated it. And some of the final scenes were absolutely cringe worthy/laughable.

Examples?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I thought it was good--and will likely stick with me awhile--but (and I know this is unfair) I think it needed a Tarkovsky- or a Kubrick- level director to do justice to the vision lurking in the script.

Are there any living directors that are on that level?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Are there any living directors that are on that level?
That's a really good question. Presently, there are directors of equal or nearly equal stature--Jean Luc Godard, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Wong Kar-Wai, Hirukazu Kore-eda--but none of them would have the feel for digging out what there was to get from that particular type of genre movie. I guess the guy I would have preferred if I were producing the movie would have been Denis Villeneuve, who combines atmosphere and depth as well as just about anybody around right now. If I were going out on a limb, a more eccentric pick would be Turkey's Nure Bilge Ceylon (Winter Sleep; Once upon a Time in Anatolia; Distant). He seems to have the requisite stature/skills/sensibility package, and I would be curious as hell to see what he would make of the material. Villeneuve would have been a great pick, though.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That's a really good question. Presently, there are directors of equal or nearly equal stature--Jean Luc Godard, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Wong Kar-Wai, Hirukazu Kore-eda--but none of them would have the feel for digging out what there was to get from that particular type of genre movie. I guess the guy I would have preferred if I were producing the movie would have been Denis Villeneuve, who combines atmosphere and depth as well as just about anybody around right now. If I were going out on a limb, a more eccentric pick would be Turkey's Nure Bilge Ceylon (Winter Sleep; Once upon a Time in Anatolia; Distant). He seems to have the requisite stature/skills/sensibility package, and I would be curious as hell to see what he would make of the material. Villeneuve would have been a great pick, though.

Problem with Villeneuve is how busy he has become, he would have been working on Blade Runner while this one was being made I guess and he also has been tagged for Dune reboot if I recall. He certainly would have been a great choice for the material with what he did with Arrival and Blade Runner.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Problem with Villeneuve is how busy he has become, he would have been working on Blade Runner while this one was being made I guess and he also has been tagged for Dune reboot if I recall. He certainly would have been a great choice for the material with what he did with Arrival and Blade Runner.
And Enemy, too.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Finally getting around to seeing this tonight. Looks like I’ll be the only one in the theater, too. Really hoping the bear scenes aren’t as terrifying as I’ve read they are, haha.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
It's available online for free
I’ve read it’s quite the spectacle, and it might be more awe-inspiring in theaters vs. at homes. Plus I haven’t been to the movies in a while, and there isn’t much else out in theaters that I want to see.

Oh, and don’t tell anyone, but I didn’t actually know it was on Netflix in the States. Whoops.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I watched this last night online. Well I did enjoy it, I think it could have been better.

I will admit though, that I did not pay full attention to it. Which is why I'll be watching it again.

I feel I'd probably enjoy the books far more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad