Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
tenor.gif

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I read this book last year, had no idea it was being made into a movie. Kind of weird seeing a trailer and thinking 'hey that looks just like... oh it is!'

Anyways good option for a film conversion, should be pretty good.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
interesting. I started reading the book a few years ago but it was a tough page turner for me.

will be taking it in though in a film version.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm thinking of seeing it again in theaters if only for this one absolutely insane sequence near the end. Honestly don't think I've ever been that floored by a sequence in a movie, and it's something that I think will get a little bit lost on viewers if they don't see it on the big screen with the volume cranked to max. One of those scenes where you watch it and you're like, "I've gotta see that again." Just so unbelievably visceral. There were two other scenes earlier that I found impactful as well (one of which you'll know exactly what I'm talking about as soon as you see it), but this one takes the cake.

Forgot I could just do spoilers (3 scenes in question):

Big scene is obvious at the end. I loved the mimicking scene after, but the copying aspect is what I'm referring to specifically. The score for that scene is so f***ing good:

First big scene is the stomach one, which is what I think viewers will pick up on immediately. Not much needs to be said. Score was great here as well.

Other one is the ScreamBear. Sound design is amazing on that scene with the distorted, echoing screams. The whole thing is just nightmare fuel, as I read somewhere that they wanted to make it as sad as it was frightening. I mention it below about spelling things out a bit too much, but when that one character comments the day after about the scene we literally just watched, I just found it so unnecessary.

Definitely a film that will split people right down the middle. Sci-Fi fans will love it, but many casual movie-goers will be turned off by the weirdness of the movie towards the end, along with it just being pretty slowly paced. I knew exactly what type of movie it was going in (even though I never read the book), and am a big fan of Sci-Fi, so it lived up to my expectations. I saw it with a friend who represents the other end of the spectrum. He actually let out an audible chuckle during the scene I was talking about above lol. His takeaway from the movie was that he didn't like it, but thought the visuals were great, which I'm sure you can copy and paste to a ton of other people's review of this movie.

It's a movie that actually plays along with a lot of big blockbuster science fiction tropes that are accessible to a larger audience, but with some weird and wacky twists and details that you don't generally see in those types of movies. I wish it aired a little bit more on the wacky side, but overall I was satisfied. I do however think there was a lot of unneeded dialogue that tried to explain a lot of what was going on that I think would have worked better if they just let the visuals tell the story.

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I really enjoyed the movie. Kinda reminded me of the feeling I got from watching Interstellar, just a bit less "epic". Portman kills it, like most movies she has done lately. I'm not deep enough to make a review much more detailed than that, I just really enjoyed it.

My favorite part by far:

Faceless Screaming Bear

Just gave me such an uneasy feeling, and just really stood out to me.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I really enjoyed the movie. Kinda reminded me of the feeling I got from watching Interstellar, just a bit less "epic". Portman kills it, like most movies she has done lately. I'm not deep enough to make a review much more detailed than that, I just really enjoyed it.

My favorite part by far:

Faceless Screaming Bear

Just gave me such an uneasy feeling, and just really stood out to me.
I think Interstellar is a good comparison for the feel of the movie. Even if you have faults with it (which is how I felt about Interstellar), it's something you can still appreciate the scope and ambition of.

Under the Skin is the closest comparable that came to mind for me for how it made me feel. A ton of differences obviously, but both had their fair share of haunting imagery.

Looking at other message boards and reviews, the part you mentioned seems to be a favorite of many, and for good reason.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Annihilation
3.2 out of 4stars

That was a fun, thought provoking, and at times haunting, sci-fi thriller. The score was perfect, the visuals were excellent, Portman nailed it, and the ending was great (albeit something that maybe should be taken in twice-"2 viewings"). Although I think this is something that won't connect with the general public because of "how" it tells it's story at times in "different" ways, it will definitely get deserved praise from genre enthusiasts. Simlar to Ex Machina(and a bit like 28 Days Later, just to note his resume), this writer director seems to have a knack for making brain engaging stories/dialogue with visuals to match. Can't wait for his next film.

The tons of themes explored were great for post-movie commentary starters also: broad scope humanity/human condition(s), genetics, life(directly and indirectly), impulsivity/"sin"/fault/escapism, meaning/connection/love/power-need of emotional fulfillment, brain vs brawn application, "making others part of us/being one with others", slow self-destruction vs suicide (almost masochism vs suicide), aging, I even got a determinism vs free will vibe, etc. Well-done Garland.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Saw it this afternoon and have to say I really liked it overall. Some amazing visuals and as mentioned above, there are some very interesting themes. I never read the books so no clue how close it was to the source material.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I thought it was good--and will likely stick with me awhile--but (and I know this is unfair) I think it needed a Tarkovsky- or a Kubrick- level director to do justice to the vision lurking in the script. For people who like their sci-fi on the adventurous side, however, Annihilation is well worth a ticket.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I've seen this movie built as a horror movie. Is it more psychological horror or more thriller like. This movie looks interesting and I did enjoy Ex-Machina, but having it be a horror movie makes me think twice if I want to see it or not.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I've seen this movie built as a horror movie. Is it more psychological horror or more thriller like. This movie looks interesting and I did enjoy Ex-Machina, but having it be a horror movie makes me think twice if I want to see it or not.
While there are brief scenes of horror in the movie, certainly enough to scare some people, it really isn't a horror movie at all. It's hard to pigeon-hole, as it isn't a thriller or a psychological horror movie either. Rather it takes an original idea (creation through annihilation) and plays with it in a way that is both creepy and enticing simultaneously. This is the sort of movie where one needs to bring his or her brain along for the ride if one plans to have any fun at all. But Annihilation rewards that effort.

Added bonus: It's Portman's best performance (by light years) since Black Swan.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Absolutely loved it, the last act was incredible, glad I saw it in theaters as I don’t know how well that will translate to the small screen. Might need to see it again

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I have yet to see the movie, but having read the book and adding to what kihei said despite what the previews show I would describe the story as less Alien and more Twilight Zone.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I have yet to see the movie, but having read the book and adding to what kihei said despite what the previews show I would describe the story as less Alien and more Twilight Zone.
Indeed as the extra terrestrial force? Being? is not even sentient it would seem from the movie. It seems to be more of a force of nature, able to change DNA and move it back and forth between different species etc. I never got the feeling that it was malevolent.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Managed to see it last night. Girlfriend was pretty bored but I really enjoyed it, been missing all the better sci-fi's the last few years at the theatre. Only thing I really want to add if anyone was wondering about the book seeing the movie doesn't really take anything away from it. In the movie after the lengthy setup there really wasn't enough time to follow the book plot in the zone, where they cut out the most significant plot line, cut out most of the science-y parts, and has a completely different ending.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
So wait, what's the American Netflix situation with this one? Is the Netflix release just a Europe thing?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So wait, what's the American Netflix situation with this one? Is the Netflix release just a Europe thing?
Last I heard there's no confirmed release date for USA, Canada and China, but everywhere else is March 12th. Could be a long wait for those 3. I'd suggest just going to a theater if you live in one of those places, especially since it's a good movie to see in theaters.

Ratihshall

Mar 3, 2018
Good, waiting for link :D
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/45/a.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad