Ankles

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
around each joint is synovial fluid that lubricates and nurishes the tissues, cartilage and such. Many things float around in the fluid including gases such as oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide. The popping is a result of motions that compress these areas, causing the gases to be released. It may be wierd but not harmful at all.

For other joints its simply tendons and/or ligaments returning to a normal position such as when you stand up and the knees pop. Some problems can arise such as IT Syndrome seen by many runners. An uneven suface and constant movement over a boney protrusion at the hip or knee can bring on a lot of problems. This isnt as light an issue as say cracking your knuckles but if its not a constant event in the joint I wouldnt worry about it. If pain, stiffness or abnormal action by the joint is evident you should get it checked out.

Last edited:

brother52

Sep 15, 2006
Russia
It's weird, but the cause of cracking sound from joints seems to be still unknown. I have it in my knees on some rare occasions, but it has no noticable correlation with anything. If it's not sore, then it's usually OK.

LVIsles*

I fractured my fibula a few years ago and alot of times when I move it I can feel it popping and cracking, same thing with my thumb which I broke 10 years ago

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
happens to me but im arthritic so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Kind of does.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
For other joints its simply tendons and/or ligaments returning to a normal position such as when you stand up and the knees pop. Some problems can arise such as IT Syndrome seen by many runners. An uneven suface and constant movement over a boney protrusion at the hip or knee can bring on a lot of problems. This isnt as light an issue as say cracking your knuckles but if its not a constant event in the joint I wouldnt worry about it. If pain, stiffness or abnormal action by the joint is evident you should get it checked out.

If I run for awhile, sometimes I get this aching pain just below my kneecap, in the area of what anatomists would could the tibial tuberosity which is the midline top of the tibia.

Do u know anything about that? Some one said a lot of people have a patellar ligament that inserts slightly off or something....

FutureConsiderations

Dec 29, 2005
Brookline, MA
Along the lines of ankles, I've got a question that someone might be able to help me with. When I skate, I put a lot of pressure on my right foot, but cannot do the same for my left foot unless i'm making a conscious effort. I have also had trouble stopping on my left foot, and at this point find it easier to just use my right foot as the primary stopping foot, even when facing right.

Someone once told me it was a "lazy ankle," but I'm not sure what that means. I really do see it now that I'm older, and it's there in the way I walk, skate, run, etc. and I think it's starting to affect my lower back and hips.

Any further help?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->