Ankle bending inwards ("pronating" skate) problem

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I had to settle on getting Superfeet Green because no stores in my area had the Yellow model. I got green because I felt that would do the best job.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Interesting, did you ask if the store could order in Yellow for you? Green isn't designed for a skate and could very well not work.

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
Chiming in on superfeet! My feet overpronate. I wouldn't just get the yellow superfeet without looking at the others first.

I use the baby-blue one based on a recommendation from my physical therapist.

Most REIs I've been to have superfeets around that you can try on by placing your foot in it. The don't usually have the yellow one though.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=superfeet

Also wear the thinnest socks you can find. Dress socks work well but don't last very long. I use a pair of ultra-thin smart wool socks - kinda pricey at $16ish, but having comfortable feet is important :)

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I am still having this problem despite trying everything. The problem has improved a bit after getting waxed laces, but the Superfeet Green has not done the job ( no surprise since it's not built for the skate). Kinda sucks I have to tell my dad to buy another model of that insole (he'll probably be pissed). I think the problem is my very skinny ankles, so it's close to impossible to wrap the boot around the ankle. I may tape my ankles, even though that will probably bring along some hecklers.

Coachtdoig

Nov 14, 2013
London, Ontario
I am still having this problem despite trying everything. The problem has improved a bit after getting waxed laces, but the Superfeet Green has not done the job ( no surprise since it's not built for the skate). Kinda sucks I have to tell my dad to buy another model of that insole (he'll probably be pissed). I think the problem is my very skinny ankles, so it's close to impossible to wrap the boot around the ankle. I may tape my ankles, even though that will probably bring along some hecklers.

I just posted a few exercises in the "taping hockey skates" thread. A few easy but effective things that will help build some mobility and stability in your ankles - so check those out if you want.

It sounds like you don't have much stability in your ankles so your always falling in onto your inside edges. Waxed laces will help to keep your skates tighter and trying a little tape around your ankles (for now) can't hurt. Just start out light with a couple rounds of clear tape and see how that goes. As you build more stability you can start to try without the tape.

IMO you are having a strength and stability problem in your ankle and until you address that you are going to have trouble constantly staying off those inside edges. Again, my own opinion - hope that helps.

Ciao,
TD

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
Have you tried any of the alternative lacing techniques. I had a pair of Eastons that I had trouble getting thought enough around my ankle so I put a runners loop (or whatever it's called) in the second and third eyelets from the top, the laces or normally through the top eyelet and ran the ends through the loop before tying them and it have me a lot more lateral support without cutting down on forward bend. My explanation is a little wonky, so let me know if you want a picture of it.

Another good ankle exercise I've done a lot for both horseback riding and dance ( both require good ankle strength and flexion so I'm assuming it would help for hockey too) is to stand with the balls of your feet on the edge of a stair. Drop your heels down as far as they go, making sure to keep your ankles straight, then stand as high on your toes as you can. Repeat this going up and down for about 2 minutes. As you get stronger and develop better balance you can do it one foot at a time.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I just posted a few exercises in the "taping hockey skates" thread. A few easy but effective things that will help build some mobility and stability in your ankles - so check those out if you want.

It sounds like you don't have much stability in your ankles so your always falling in onto your inside edges. Waxed laces will help to keep your skates tighter and trying a little tape around your ankles (for now) can't hurt. Just start out light with a couple rounds of clear tape and see how that goes. As you build more stability you can start to try without the tape.

IMO you are having a strength and stability problem in your ankle and until you address that you are going to have trouble constantly staying off those inside edges. Again, my own opinion - hope that helps.

Ciao,
TD

Thanks for the advice, I did ask about one of the excercises in that thread.

Have you tried any of the alternative lacing techniques. I had a pair of Eastons that I had trouble getting thought enough around my ankle so I put a runners loop (or whatever it's called) in the second and third eyelets from the top, the laces or normally through the top eyelet and ran the ends through the loop before tying them and it have me a lot more lateral support without cutting down on forward bend. My explanation is a little wonky, so let me know if you want a picture of it.

Another good ankle exercise I've done a lot for both horseback riding and dance ( both require good ankle strength and flexion so I'm assuming it would help for hockey too) is to stand with the balls of your feet on the edge of a stair. Drop your heels down as far as they go, making sure to keep your ankles straight, then stand as high on your toes as you can. Repeat this going up and down for about 2 minutes. As you get stronger and develop better balance you can do it one foot at a time.

Can you show me a picture on that lacing technique? I am doing the floating knot right now, and it really hasn't been much of a help. I would love to find out how to do this lacing method.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
When I hit my growth spurt in High School, I used to walk around the house in my skates untied to rebuild ankle strength & balance.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
How well did that work?

It was over 20 years ago... but I remember never needing (or liking) my skates tied that tight anymore. Probably has more to do with confidence and balance than strength. It's actually right around the time that my skating really improved, I went on to play in college.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad