Angelo Esposito VS Drayson Bowman

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Angelo wont get the criticism on here like Kessel did either. One, because no one ever compared him to Crosby and that he is canadien.

The reason Esposito won't get as critisized is because he doesn't deserve it. Esposito has performed in tougher competetion, is a leader (captain U18), has won the Memorial Cup. All things that Kessel has never done. The problem with players like Kessel is that they do not get exposed to intense competition before they are declared phenom's. Espo has elevated his game at every level so far and I expect that progression to continue.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The reason Esposito won't get as critisized is because he doesn't deserve it. Esposito has performed in tougher competetion, is a leader (captain U18), has won the Memorial Cup. All things that Kessel has never done. The problem with players like Kessel is that they do not get exposed to intense competition before they are declared phenom's. Espo has elevated his game at every level so far and I expect that progression to continue.

Competing and winning two U18 championships, competing at two U20 WJC's, playing against older competition (NCAA teams) as a member of the USNTDP, and doing very well as a freshman in a tough conference (all before being drafted) doesn't qualify as "intense" competition? You don't have ANY idea what you're talking about.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

Fair response. I still don't understand what the other guy got so insulted about.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Competing and winning two U18 championships, competing at two U20 WJC's, playing against older competition (NCAA teams) as a member of the USNTDP, and doing very well as a freshman in a tough conference (all before being drafted) doesn't qualify as "intense" competition? You don't have ANY idea what you're talking about.

Intense is playing a 72 game schedule regular season, WJC training camp, 4 series 4 out of 7 playoff, and Memorial Cup to boot. That's NHL type grind. I'm not downplaying Kessel, but Espo has already played more games as a 16 year old in one season that Kessel has in the two years you describe.

And by the way, no need to be dispresctful because we have different opinions.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Intense is playing a 72 game schedule regular season, WJC training camp, 4 series 4 out of 7 playoff, and Memorial Cup to boot. That's NHL type grind. I'm not downplaying Kessel, but Espo has already played more games as a 16 year old in one season that Kessel has in the two years you describe.

You said that Kessel hasn't faced intense competition, I vehemently disagree.

Last edited:

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You said that Kessel hasn't faced intense competition, I vehemently disagree.

I never said he hasn't faced ANY intense competition, I said he hasn't done it alot. In all the World Championship tournies, you play more creampuffs teams than top caliber teams. Same in college where there is a huge gap between the have's and the have not. Furthermore, Kessell didn't exactly shine in all those instances.

Espo, SO FAR, has passed every test presented to him. I'm not saying he's a sure thing. But up to this moment, including being named as captain of the U18 team and top producer, he has not given any reason to be critizied. Also, I have never read or heard any negative comments regading his character or motivation to work.

Compare to Kessell - character issues, teamates not wanting to play with him, work ethic issues (poor performance at NHL draft testing), disappointing performance at U20 Word Championship. Trust me there is alot to question about Kessel.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The notion that elite Canadian prospects receive less criticism than prospects from other countries is hillarious. No prospects are under microscopes like Canadian prospects. Spezza was ripped to shreds in his draft year, much like Kessel and in hindsight it appears he didn't deserve a lot of it, but got it because he was in the public eye in this country for so long. That happens all the time. Canadian players are subjected to the same or more criticism than prospects from any other country.

It's illogical to say that Canadians receive less scrutiny. It simply doesn't make any sense at all.

lukin10

Dec 26, 2005
kessel's performance at his first u20's is what really vaulted him into the spotlight.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

Kind of hard to win the memorial cup when you play for Minnesota. And the WJC's was a pretty intense competition (as well as the under 18's which he played the last 2 of each) which had a whole lot to do with his phenom declaration (the U18's).
Finally, I am not so certain that the NCAA is a lower level of competition that the juniors (although the schedule is much more grueling) but that is my opinion.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

Are you sure about that? Over the last 2 season's he has played in 110 games which I dont think Esposito can match in his one season.
Im not saying Kessel has a tougher schedule, just that Esposito didnt play in more games than Kessel's 2 seasons combined.

Oh and this is neither here nor there, and Im not trying to cause a problem, but if you are the same HABNOT that used to post at the old rumor mill board I find it quite amusing that you would call someone out for being disrespectful, cuz I remember that was your whole style from way back then. You used to rip PTHC or whatever that guy's handle was and were pretty darn disrespectful about it as well (although it was funny).
I used to post there all the time also and Im sure you'd remember me by my old handle.
If that isnt you, disregard the above and carry on. ;)

Last edited:

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Oh and this is neither here nor there, and Im not trying to cause a problem, but if you are the same HABNOT that used to post at the old rumor mill board I find it quite amusing that you would call someone out for being disrespectful, cuz I remember that was your whole style from way back then. You used to rip PTHC or whatever that guy's handle was and were pretty darn disrespectful about it as well (although it was funny).
I used to post there all the time also and Im sure you'd remember me by my old handle.
If that isnt you, disregard the above and carry on. ;)

Sorry - not the same.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
Ok, I'm a pretty regular customer here and in the past month or so since surgery I've been basically living on the boards.

I'm suprised I haven't heard much (if anything) about Drayson Bowman. I've read tons on Esposito and a bit on other 2007 top prospects, but Bowman doesn't ring a bell.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

exactly the same for me. never heard of that bowman :dunno:

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Sorry - not the same.

No problem...Just had to ask. Its funny that the two of you had the same handle (as its quite unique) and I was sort of doubting you were him anyways because he absolutely HATED the Habs (like with an unnatural obsession).

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not sure how this turned into a Kessel vs Espo thread. Different ages, different development programs, and neither is in the NHL yet.

I was a bit disappointed in Esposito's year because of the cold second half but I don't think that warrants comparing him with a 34 point player. Bowman hasn't even proven to be a top flight WHL player never mind a top 5 draft pick. Any 16 year old that can play regularly is unusual and I will watch for him next year, but there are tons of kids with "all the tools" that never even become solid junior stars so he has to really make a jump to validate any possibility of future stardom.

It is quite possible that Espo won't play a game in the NHL so there are certainly no guarantees he will be better than Bowman over the long haul but based on last season I don't see Bowman has established that he is a comparable talent yet. He has to have that breakout year first,and have established some level of dominance.

Look at Devin Setoguchi at the same age. In hindsight not a player I would have taken 8th overall but possibly a comparable. 80 points will get him a top 5 draft position. If Esposito scores less than 110 points his #1 forward ranking might be in trouble.

I will go out on a limb and say we will see both these guys at the WJCs.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
I was a bit disappointed in Esposito's year because of the cold second half but I don't think that warrants comparing him with a 34 point player. Bowman hasn't even proven to be a top flight WHL player never mind a top 5 draft pick. Any 16 year old that can play regularly is unusual and I will watch for him next year, but there are tons of kids with "all the tools" that never even become solid junior stars so he has to really make a jump to validate any possibility of future stardom.

It is quite possible that Espo won't play a game in the NHL so there are certainly no guarantees he will be better than Bowman over the long haul but based on last season I don't see Bowman has established that he is a comparable talent yet. He has to have that breakout year first,and have established some level of dominance.

Look at Devin Setoguchi at the same age. In hindsight not a player I would have taken 8th overall but possibly a comparable. 80 points will get him a top 5 draft position. If Esposito scores less than 110 points his #1 forward ranking might be in trouble.

I will go out on a limb and say we will see both these guys at the WJCs.
Bowman's play was much better than the 34 points he put down as a rookie, good enough for 3rd in WHL rookie scorers as far as 16's go. To me its hard to compare if youre looking at points. Espo got to play with Radulov, while Bowman was cursed with players who couldnt finish if their lives depended on it. Having said all that seeing Bowman all year long here in Spokane, Id consider him a player who should be ranked in the middle half of the 1st round, right now. If he does step up and puts up 60+ points, which is very possible considering the good young talent, it wouldnt surprise me if he was ranked 5-10 at the end of the year.

I highly doubt you'll see Bowman at WJC, I dont believe he was even invited to the U18 tryouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad