Angelo Esposito to play in the Q (TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Would have been first or second overall pick if he didn't black ball teams to play where he wanted. It's a shame but Im glad he's in the CHL

stocktrader

Good news. Looks like VOB was right.
I thought he had better numbers at Shattuck.

habbyfan60

Mar 23, 2005
There has to be sopmething done from preventing these players from choosing where they want and won't play. This is just another scenario where the rich teams get what they want. If the kid is as good as he's projected to be, prove yourself with any organization. If I were the Sea Dogs I'd be pretty pissed and I'd have Espositio feeling footsteps everytime I'd play him.

I wonder if he'll get a choice as to where he gets drafted in pro.

His parents and agents should be ashamed of themselves.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
habbyfan60 said:
There has to be sopmething done from preventing these players from choosing where they want and won't play. This is just another scenario where the rich teams get what they want. If the kid is as good as he's projected to be, prove yourself with any organization. If I were the Sea Dogs I'd be pretty pissed and I'd have Espositio feeling footsteps everytime I'd play him.

I think the players who wants to play in the NCAA before the draft shouldn't be allowed to be draft...

habbyfan60

Mar 23, 2005
I agree. There should be at least a letter fo intent from the school being committed to the player and the same for the player to the school. This is total ********. Esposito was clearly the # 1 guy in the draft. Crosby went to a mediocre team when he got there and left his mark didn't he? What was Espositio's entourage afraid of by not electing to go to the Maritimes?

Again, total ********. Keep your head up Espo!!!

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
habbyfan60 said:
. . .

Again, total ********. Keep your head up Espo!!!
Sorry, but I can't see how the guy has done anything wrong. He doesn't have to play in the Q if he doesn't want to. He politely said no, but was drafted anyway. Roy then attempted to woo him and was successful. Angelo Espsitio is perfectly within his rights to change his mind.

Don't blame him for the rules in the Q draft.

And any other team had the right to draft Esposito and then try to convince him to come. Roy had the guts to go for it.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
timlap said:
Sorry, but I can't see how the guy has done anything wrong. He doesn't have to play in the Q if he doesn't want to. He politely said no, but was drafted anyway. Roy then attempted to woo him and was successful. Angelo Espsitio is perfectly within his rights to change his mind.

And any other team had the right to draft Esposito and then try to convince him to come. Roy had the guts to go for it.

That's a little naive. I guess he's innocent until proven guilty but then again, OJ got off scotch free.

stocktrader

timlap said:

Esposito knew all along what he was doing.
He talked about becoming a doctor therefore going the NCAA route.
I called his bluff from the very beginning.
Obviously it was not the most honest thing to do.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
timlap said:

If this is how it happened, then I applaud the Remparts for hitting a home run.

However, it could just as easily have happened that Esposito's representatives told certain teams that he wouldn't report if drafted and told the Remparts (and perhaps a select few others, who knows) that he would report to them.

Of course, neither I nor most here have that knowledge, so it's all speculation. Something along the lines of LOI (maybe if you draft a player who has committed to NCAA, he can't play for you until next season) would be a good idea to try to stop that kind of hand-picking, although it will probably be next to impossible to stop it entirely (or to even determine when it has happened).

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
the whole "roy" angle is ridiculous. i was annoyed that tsn that roy's name and picture was all over the article, when it had more to do about the ramparts and esposito than roy

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
sveiglar said:
Of course, neither I nor most here have that knowledge, so it's all speculation. Something along the lines of LOI (maybe if you draft a player who has committed to NCAA, he can't play for you until next season) would be a good idea to try to stop that kind of hand-picking, although it will probably be next to impossible to stop it entirely (or to even determine when it has happened).

Even if he made the knowledge public that he would only play for certain teams in the Q or else go the NCAA route, it wouldn't be a problem. No ?

Mat

i saw this guy play in the Quebec tournament the season before last

his stacked team, the quebec bulldogs, beat the hell outta everyone. i think he scored like 7 goals in that game against my brother alone. i've never seen a goalie get pulled, and then get put back in before cuz the backup was doing even worse :biglaugh:

bottom line: Esposito is the real deal

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
E = CH² said:
Even if he made the knowledge public that he would only play for certain teams in the Q or else go the NCAA route, it wouldn't be a problem. No ?

Not as the rules are written now it isn't. I think that's what most are getting at. I don't know Esposito from Adam, so I don't personally think any less of him in particular, but it's unfortunate that rules aren't in place to at least try to curb the potential of this type of manipulation.

As a fan of the Fog Devils, it's especially disappointing. I would have loved to have seen either him or Alex Grant in St. John's this season.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Logan Couture pulled the same stunt in the OHL - basically saying there were only 3 or 4 teams (Owen Sound, London & Ottawa) that he would report to.

BS if you ask me (and this is coming from a London fan).

Tom

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
habbyfan60 said:

These are what, 16-year old kids? No way would I want to see my kid go just anywhere. It's not the pros, and it's totally irrelevant to make any comparison to the pros. I'd do anything in my power as a parent/agent to make sure my kid landed in a good situation too.

Not that these Esposito/Couture cases are anything new. But if anything, I think we need to see more of them, not less.

stocktrader

Blind Gardien said:
These are what, 16-year old kids? No way would I want to see my kid go just anywhere. It's not the pros, and it's totally irrelevant to make any comparison to the pros. I'd do anything in my power as a parent/agent to make sure my kid landed in a good situation too.

Not that these Esposito/Couture cases are anything new. But if anything, I think we need to see more of them, not less.
No one had more bargaining power than Crosby.
Rimouski was the worst team in the league. Did you see him pull this lame ass stunt?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
stocktrader said:
No one had more bargaining power than Crosby.
Rimouski was the worst team in the league. Did you see him pull this lame ass stunt?
It's only lame if the parents have no legit reasons for doing it. If they're just looking for $$$ under the table or something (and not planning to give that $$$ to charity), then sure, it's lame. What would Crosby have gained by going to a different city? What does Esposito gain in Quebec? This is basically like college recruiting. Pick the place you can be comfortable in. That's totally fair for kids this age. My boys will be doing exactly the same thing when their draft comes up, and I encourage everybody else to do it too. If the CHL wants them in the league, they can bend or let themselves be manipulated. If they don't, that's not a problem, because the NCAA option is actually extremely attractive in its own right. I'm not going to put the interests of some junior hockey circuit and their silly rules ahead of the interests of my own kid! C'mon.

stocktrader

Blind Gardien said:
It's only lame if the parents have no legit reasons for doing it. If they're just looking for $$$ under the table or something (and not planning to give that $$$ to charity), then sure, it's lame. What would Crosby have gained by going to a different city? What does Esposito gain in Quebec? This is basically like college recruiting. Pick the place you can be comfortable in. That's totally fair for kids this age. My boys will be doing exactly the same thing when their draft comes up, and I encourage everybody else to do it too. If the CHL wants them in the league, they can bend or let themselves be manipulated. If they don't, that's not a problem, because the NCAA option is actually extremely attractive in its own right. I'm not going to put the interests of some junior hockey circuit and their silly rules ahead of the interests of my own kid! C'mon.
Fine. I just don't like the dishonesty involved.

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
Esposito got the dollars

I'm amazed at the naivete of some of the posters today. First, don't take it so personally if Angelo doesn't go the NCAA route.

Secondly, as I reported 10 days ago, Patrick Roy visited the Espositos on a Sunday night (the 12th) and, after offering $500,000 for Angelo to play in Quebec City, was sent on his way with a bill for a cool mil.

Did he succumb to the million, or did they split the difference at $750,000?

Anyway, once the press conference is over, Angelo will be a little more well-heeled than he was when he got up this morning.

My son is thrilled, he'll be playing against his buddy Ange once again, with bigger crowds this time. :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->