Player Discussion Andy Welinski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Reminds me of Wisniewski.
Wiz is actually a decent comparison, although Welinski rarely goes for an open ice hit. In college, Welinski was a general on the ice, playing huge minutes in all situations. In his senior year I watched him wave his coach off more than once when it was time for a line change. He has the big shot and is pretty mean with his stick and in front of the net. He's not super fast but is fairly agile and quick, and is good at spotting a breakout pass.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I thought he clearly had some jitters as shown by some shaky puck handling at times, trouble receiving passes, etc. That was to be expected though, and overall I thought he played very well and didn't look out of place. Excited about another quality defensive prospect. It's truly amazing our ability to find these guys, just need more luck in finding them at forward or flipping the D prospects for similar forward prospects. Even with unloading Vatanen, there appears to be an embarrassment of riches on the back end while the fruit is bare up front.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Like pointed out in another thread, he`s the 7th (and last) Anaheim draftee from 2011 to suit up for us. The only one who didn`t record a point for us was Friberg (played 6 games for us).

I remember thinking that was a weak draft. We did ok.

Oct 18, 2011
So which is it? Poor man's Mike Green? Josh Manson clone? I feel like they are opposite ends of the spectrum.
I need to see more, at the AHL level he always showed traits you look for... Mobility, able to move the puck, and a big shot. I think our patience with him can pay off in a nice way he's earned this opportunity.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I’m going to keep with my Beauchemin comparison.

Both players are similar size, took a similar path to the NHL (timeframe), and I think the have similar styles.

Franky is a left shooter and was probably more physical, but they both have a hard shot and both can be serious minute munchers.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I’m going to keep with my Beauchemin comparison.

Both players are similar size, took a similar path to the NHL (timeframe), and I think the have similar styles.

Franky is a left shooter and was probably more physical, but they both have a hard shot and both can be serious minute munchers.
Faster moving skater than Beauchemin though.
So with his physical play, there's a good chance he wins a spot next year in training camp. A guy on the 3rd pairing who can play physical, score points & has good wheels is a big plus.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Faster moving skater than Beauchemin though.
So with his physical play, there's a good chance he wins a spot next year in training camp. A guy on the 3rd pairing who can play physical, score points & has good wheels is a big plus.

I'm hoping he stays up a bit longer so we get to see him for a few more games. Obviously I want Lindholm back, but if there has been one silver lining in this season's injury woes, it has been that we are finally getting to see some of our prospects in NHL action and the returns have been pretty decent. If Welinski finds his game at the NHL level that would be huge going forward as the Beauch and Bieksa contracts expire.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
We have an interesting case here with Welinski potentially able to become a UFA this summer. You could understand a 26 year old D with 33 NHL games under his belt might feel he could find more opportunity elsewhere, but our current depth chart would say otherwise.

Personally from what I've seen at the NHL level, I'd have no issues signing him to a low risk 1way deal to play bottom pairing/depth minutes, but the folks who follow SD have seen much more of him - how does he stack up against top AHL defensemen? Do you see an NHL future there?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't think he has the foot speed to be an NHL regular. He isn't very big for NHL standards and combining that with the foot speed issue makes it tough to project him as an NHL regular.

I've also been a little disappointed with his inability to let loose on his shot in his time with Anaheim.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
We have an interesting case here with Welinski potentially able to become a UFA this summer. You could understand a 26 year old D with 33 NHL games under his belt might feel he could find more opportunity elsewhere, but our current depth chart would say otherwise.

Personally from what I've seen at the NHL level, I'd have no issues signing him to a low risk 1way deal to play bottom pairing/depth minutes, but the folks who follow SD have seen much more of him - how does he stack up against top AHL defensemen? Do you see an NHL future there?

Id keep him if he'd sign here. he'd be our best third pair right d we've had in a while (not saying much). I think with nhl experience he could be decent but I think I see him moving on to whichever team can guarantee him the best shot at an nhl roster and I wouldn't blame him one bit for that. Although if Eakins comes on as our head coach I think he could make something half decent out of him.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Yeah I'm not seeing an NHL regular in Welinski. His only chance IMO is if he finds a way to get more shots on goal. I actually like Murphy better as a prospect since he can skate out of trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->