Andrews on SXM: 31st AHL team coming 2018-19

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't know if I'd use the phrase throwing cold water on them moving.... The last article that I've seen published has them discussing the move and the arena would need to be renovated before a move could happen. I don't know if that's throwing cold water on the issue unless you have seen something that I'm missing.

Dater is the most connected Avs reporter. He brought it up on a podcast this week that he's been asking around and the response is not for a few years.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Can you at least link to the Eagles beat writer's Facebook page? From there it won't be hard for someone to dig up a link.

It was posted in a private group. But I finally taught myself how to screenshot and share today, so let's give this a try.......

Capture.png
[/URL][/IMG]

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
If these stories from Colorado are true, is it possible that the AHL BOG in their last meeting, called out Colorado on an update to their decision on whether or not the Av's want to own the 31st AHL franchise or not. Maybe the AHL BOG might have giving the Av's an ultimate date for them (say by the 2018 AHL All-Star Game) to give them a final decision on this matter. If Colorado does decide that they are not ready to own their AHL affiliate (even though they have stated in the past that they wanted one for a few years) for the 2018-19 AHL season, would the AHL BOG go to plan B and approve the St. Louis Blues request/rumor of wanting to own their AHL affiliate and place them in Independence, MO where the Kansas City Mavericks in the ECHL are currently at?

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
If these stories from Colorado are true, is it possible that the AHL BOG in their last meeting, called out Colorado on an update to their decision on whether or not the Av's want to own the 31st AHL franchise or not. Maybe the AHL BOG might have giving the Av's an ultimate date for them (say by the 2018 AHL All-Star Game) to give them a final decision on this matter. If Colorado does decide that they are not ready to own their AHL affiliate (even though they have stated in the past that they wanted one for a few years) for the 2018-19 AHL season, would the AHL BOG go to plan B and approve the St. Louis Blues request/rumor of wanting to own their AHL affiliate and place them in Independence, MO where the Kansas City Mavericks in the ECHL are currently at?

The BOG already approved the 31st franchise's applicant. To me, this tells me that a team is already chosen.

Pair that with Jeremy Rutherford, Blues beat writer, saying unequivocally that the Blues will be affiliating with a current franchise and are not getting the expansion team.

I'd say it's more likely that people in Colorado are being deceptively coy about the whole situation than anything else. Or there's some mystery group out there who paid for a franchise and plans on calling up the Avs for an affiliation deal.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
The BOG already approved the 31st franchise's applicant. To me, this tells me that a team is already chosen.

Pair that with Jeremy Rutherford, Blues beat writer, saying unequivocally that the Blues will be affiliating with a current franchise and are not getting the expansion team.

I'd say it's more likely that people in Colorado are being deceptively coy about the whole situation than anything else. Or there's some mystery group out there who paid for a franchise and plans on calling up the Avs for an affiliation deal.

Does it have to be the Blues or the Avs? Why not Nashville bringing a team to Tennessee or Kentucky? Why not one of the Florida teams bringing a team to Florida.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Does it have to be the Blues or the Avs? Why not Nashville bringing a team to Tennessee or Kentucky? Why not one of the Florida teams bringing a team to Florida.

Vancouver was rumoured to have an AHL team coming to play at the Pacific Coliseum.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Kentucky's been there, already.... USA Hockey/San Jose in Rupp.... and the fiasco that the 2 Kentucky cities have going between Lexington and Louisville one-upping each other, the AFR'S et all with Florida and what transpired in Louisville(and elsewhere in pro hockey, Namely Port Huron and Elmira. PSGJ.

Florida's spoken for because the Everblades are part of Carolina, and Orlando has the Leafs now for a while too, neither Florida nor Tampa for that matter may not want the added expense and are likely content with Springfield and Syracuse.

same goes for Nashville and Milwaukee, where the Admirals have themselves intertwined with the Brewers....

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City

The Blues tried to work out a deal earlier this year with the Mavericks, but the Mav's owner is happy with the ECHL and said no thanks.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Isn't the hurricanes owner looking to sell? The blades have been on the rumored selling block before.

Yes, Peter Karmanos owns both the Hurricanes and the Everblades. Both have been available for purchase for a few years. News reports last week said a deal is in the works for the Hurricanes, although it isn't final yet. No recent word on a sale of the Everblades, and no hints whether they would be included in the sale of the Hurricanes or not.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yes, Peter Karmanos owns both the Hurricanes and the Everblades. Both have been available for purchase for a few years. News reports last week said a deal is in the works for the Hurricanes, although it isn't final yet. No recent word on a sale of the Everblades, and no hints whether they would be included in the sale of the Hurricanes or not.

but Gale Force, through MDK Holdings, royals, as Kahn is one of a long list of minority owners.... see the Canes threads.... Charlotte nor Estero, WHICH is the town the Everblades play out of are going anywhere, but yes, the premise of the post is correct.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Rutherford basically confirmed in his latest chat that the Blues will be affiliating in San Antonio and has publicly stated Husso among other players will be sent there this year, so it's a matter of connecting the dots at this point.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Rutherford basically confirmed in his latest chat that the Blues will be affiliating in San Antonio and has publicly stated Husso among other players will be sent there this year, so it's a matter of connecting the dots at this point.

You mean like I did back in january?? :laugh:

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden

That's still not a confirmation that the Avs are getting the expansion team. Teams are changing their affiliation all the time.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
That's still not a confirmation that the Avs are getting the expansion team. Teams are changing their affiliation all the time.

YEA, AND NO, it depends on the individual PDC... the decision is not on the Avalanche, it's the Eagles, who are the most impacted.... who pays for the upgrades then to bring the Colorado Eagles to minimum AHL Standards, and the affiliation PDC, rarely change now if the Blues have confirmed what most fans already knew after what they did in Peoria, by selling their affiliate to Vancouver (now Utica), the rebuke by Kansas City/Missouri, when that broke, never knew Indianapolis was pursued, but to know it is strictly financial is what ended said pursuit is good to learn.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Colorado is getting the 31st franchise ... Book it. And Hutch I still don't believe that KC and or Indy was ever in the mix...read what Stillman says later in the interview about how they have no intention or desire to be in the business of owning an AHL team it's all Research and Development for them in the AHL...doesn't sound like the comments of a guy who even believes his own comments about it... translation...the whole talking to KC or Indy was just posturing on their part and never had any chance of ever happening...they did it to make themselves look good and to put pressure on the Wolves to see things their way...Got blown out of the water when the Wolves went to Vegas and left St. Louis looking stupid and scrambling to cover themselves.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Colorado is getting the 31st franchise ... Book it. And Hutch I still don't believe that KC and or Indy was ever in the mix...read what Stillman says later in the interview about how they have no intention or desire to be in the business of owning an AHL team it's all Research and Development for them in the AHL...doesn't sound like the comments of a guy who even believes his own comments about it... translation...the whole talking to KC or Indy was just posturing on their part and never had any chance of ever happening...they did it to make themselves look good and to put pressure on the Wolves to see things their way...Got blown out of the water when the Wolves went to Vegas and left St. Louis looking stupid and scrambling to cover themselves.
Could have gone something like...
Blues: Hey Mavericks/Fuel why don't you guys buy the expansion AHL franchise and we will affiliate with you. You will get all our awesome prospects and we will even provide the coaching staff and make all the decisions about who gets playing time,etc. All you have to do is pay for everything.
Mavs/Fuel: Uhh, how about you pay for the AHL franchise, and buy our ECHL franchise that we have an investment in already, and pay for upgrades to the locker rooms and facilities?
Blues: nevermind

Those are discussions.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
How long ago do you think it was decided that Colorado got the expansion franchise? How long has it been in the works for?

My opinion is that there have been talks for at least a couple of years with it getting really serious when Vegas was announced. Now the NHL and AHL teams knew well in advance of that announcement that there would be a 31st team in 17-18. I'm sure its no coincidence that Chicago and St. Louis announced last summer they were going their separate ways after this past season. That being said I fully believe that Chicago and Vegas talked, before any formal NHL announcement, about partnering, especially after Foley was made to see the light about starting 2 new teams and not just one.

It's also my belief that St. Louis really thought they had Chicago over a barrel...I believe they misjudged the whole scenario and got caught with their pants down. My thought is that they put the cart before the horse and was so sure that they would get the new franchise...what I don't think they counted on was a very long memory by the AHL board and a first come first served attitude by the same board.

When they found out that Colorado was making noise a few years ago about owning their own franchise...then and only then did they start trying to make nice with Chicago realizing that the music was going to stop and they didn't have a seat at the table...by that point I think the Wolves had already decided to move on and had already started conversations with the unannounced team(Vegas) which also supports the statement that these leagues knew way in advance of the announcement that Vegas was getting a team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's about what I figured when the Avs jumped to the affiliation with the Eagles last summer. Knowing how the Avs operate its tough for me to believe they just jumped on the expansion franchise this spring.

Thanks for the replies, one more question. Does the AHL prefer team ownership or would they have been on board with an ownership group had it materialized in KC or Indy?

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Thanks for the replies, one more question. Does the AHL prefer team ownership or would they have been on board with an ownership group had it materialized in KC or Indy?
Whoever's cashier's checks can clear and deposit into the AHL's bank account the quickest. ;)

*edit* They'll most likely work with any ownership group as long as the NHL team affiliation is agreeable to the relationship.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Whoever's cashier's checks can clear and deposit into the AHL's bank account the quickest. ;)

*edit* They'll most likely work with any ownership group as long as the NHL team affiliation is agreeable to the relationship.

What he said....lol. Truthfully I don't think they have a preference BUT If they were put to the fire I believe they would prefer local ownership...more closely tied to the community and you wouldn't have the situation from a couple of years ago with the renegade move by the west coast teams.

That all being said the goal would be a sustainable healthy franchise no matter who owned it. I just think a local owner would be more stable and have more of a dog in the fight...Albany is a great example of how team ownership can be bad...NJ paid little to no attention to albany and the community.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I lied, one more question. Any idea why the 31st franchise couldnt be operational in 2017-18? It seems that's what the AHL wanted and if Colorado was in the running all along, were they the hold up or just more process/red tape took longer than everyone hoped. Thanks again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad