Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Wojtek Wolski: 2003-04 Brampton Battalion OHL 66 29 41 70 30
Andrew Ladd: 2003-04 Calgary Hitmen WHL 71 30 45 75 119

If you were a GM, which of these two players would you rather have? Their numbers indicate that their skill set is pretty similiar. I've heard comparisons of Ryan Smyth to Wojtek Wolski, but not an incredible amount about Andrew Ladd. Which of these two players has the highest ceiling? Which one of the two is the safer pick? I'm not just looking for a vote, or this would be on the poll board. If you have any insight, i'd really appreciate it. It looks as if one of these players will be available at where Carolina picks at #8 and i'd love to get as much information about them as possible. Thanks!

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Caniacforever said:

If you were a GM, which of these two players would you rather have? Their numbers indicate that their skill set is pretty similiar. I've heard comparisons of Ryan Smyth to Wojtek Wolski, but not an incredible amount about Andrew Ladd. Which of these two players has the highest ceiling? Which one of the two is the safer pick? I'm not just looking for a vote, or this would be on the poll board. If you have any insight, i'd really appreciate it. It looks as if one of these players will be available at where Carolina picks at #8 and i'd love to get as much information about them as possible. Thanks!

I think that Wolski is safer pick. Wolski is bigger and IMO better player than Ladd.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
I don't know who told you Wolski was like Ryan Smyth but that is way off base. Smyth is a heart and soul guy that plays bigger than his size and loves to play in the traffic areas. The biggest complaint about Wolski is that he is 6'3 and does not use the size and does not play in the traffic areas. Wolski is a shifty, smooth kind of player. He's sort of a 5'9 guy in a 6'3 body.

Ladd on the other hand does not have Wolski's skill level. However he is a Ryan Smyth kind of guy that goes hard every shift. He's big (roughly the same size as Wolski) and strong and is a good all around player. So their numbers do not indicate their skill level is similar, the difference is that Ladd's determination make up for any skills Wolski has over him. Ladd has been compared to a young Adam Graves.

The higher ceiling is Wolski. However, I question whether he will ever reach it or will he be another player that looks real good but never reaches that next level because he doesn't want it bad enough and is not willing to pay the price.

The safer pick is Ladd. He's strong and gritty and a good complementary player. Some people think he's the most NHL ready guy coming out of North America this year.

If I'm choosing I'd take Ladd.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Caniacforever said:

Wolski could be the better player... if he wanted to be. I'd say you'd have a top-3 pick if you took Ladd's work ethic and put it with Wolski's natural skill set. I'd lean towards Ladd, just on that basis... he'll keep working hard to improve. Depends a bit on what you need, though. They're close enough that when it comes down to it, you can pick on needs for these guys IMO.

Comparisons... well, not exact, but you might think Brendl/Wolski, or Williams/Ladd... that is, Wolski can become invisible at times, though he's a much better skater and puckhandler whereas Brendl is more of a finisher, and Ladd works hard in the corners to help his teammates, but I haven't seem him look like as much of a power forward or hitter as some publications seem to suggest. (I hesistated therefore to compare him to Cole or O'Neill, but I could see that if you thought he was more of a physical player (Cole) or more of a finisher (O'Neill)... I just didn't see that myself).

I'd rather have Ladd. He's safer, IMO. Wolski has bigger upside talent, bigger bustside too.

:dunno:

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Wolski is the safer pick, so I'd choose him. Your getting a 6'3 forward who uses the body ocassionally and he has a very good skill level. Ladd is more of a hard working forward with some scoring. Both will be good players. I however like Adam Berti more then either of these two guys!

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I think Andrew Ladd is definitely the safer pick. He seems like one of those guys where you look at and say, he's definitely going to be an NHL'er. It's just at what capacity. Whether he's going to end up as a Ryan Smyth/Brendan Morrow type of player in the NHL, or a Kelly Buchberger.

Wolski definitely has higher potential IMO because he's got a better natural skill set, to go with the size potential.

However I've heard some negative things about Wolski's work ethic and drive.

So basically it's whether you want to take a chance. Personally, I'd probably take Wolski.

X-SHARKIE

Ryan Smyth....Great comparison Brock.

I love Andrew Ladd....I think everyone has fallen in love with this prospect. He blossomed at the right time and now is arguably the top player in North America who is eligible for the 2004 draft.

Wolski has a much higher skill level and overall ceiling to his upside, but Ladd is the safer pick and should be no worse then a 2nd liner who works his ass off and contributes. But well he put in 80 points in the NHL? Unlikely.

Wolski has a sick skill level overall and has amazing offensive instincts. He's definitly a huge offensive threat when he wants to be.... Much like Nathan Horton last season, Wolski seems board and his overall game has suffered.
Wolski is also soft as a teddy bear and he drives me nuts....A prospect with his skill should be a top 5 pick...but he seems to be the head case from what I saw in the top 10...not Schremp.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
Wolski could be the better player... if he wanted to be. I'd say you'd have a top-3 pick if you took Ladd's work ethic and put it with Wolski's natural skill set.

Hey that exact player is in the draft. His name is Rostislav Olesz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad