Andrew Ladd: Potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
i see ladd fitting into the mold of mike grier (before he injured his shoulder)

a big forward with excellent speed... plays big.. plays gritty... excellent forechecker... pretty good hands but inconsistent in his play

2nd liner at best... 20 goals at his peak..

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
chriss_co said:
i see ladd fitting into the mold of mike grier (before he injured his shoulder)

a big forward with excellent speed... plays big.. plays gritty... excellent forechecker... pretty good hands but inconsistent in his play

2nd liner at best... 20 goals at his peak..

That's interesting, but also a little disappointing. While Mike Grier is a serviceable player, Andrew Ladd was the 4th overall selection and you usually expect more out of high picks.

I guess it wouldn't be a total bust if he ended up like that, but it certainly wouldn't be that great.

PJ Wiggum

Jun 7, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
I think Ladd will be a player like Zednik. He will step it up in the big games and show why he is playing where he is, but in the meaningless games he might be nowhere to be found. Since Andrew is bigger and has some of the intangibles that Zednik doesn`t have he will post 60-70 points and be an excelent penalty killer.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Minnesota Norse Star said:
blah - I saw nothing from him throughout the course of this season that would make me want him more than Jamie Lundmark.

That's not a very high endorsement at all! Was there anything in particular that made you not like his style of game?

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
I've never seen a 4th overall selection so underhyped! He's going to fit right in here in Carolina. :D

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody could give me a more in depth talent analysis or a link to more talent analysis other than HF's, which i've already read in depth. I've seen Ladd a few times, but i'd like the knowledge of those who have seen him more. So if you have any related info you'd like to share, i'd be glad to read it!

http://forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/draft-team.cgi?Car&DraftID=4#4409

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I think with Ladd you've got a career linemate for Eric Staal. I could see that pairing being around for a long time. I do think Ladd will do well in the NHL. Will he be an elite 1st liner? Nope. A second liner? Not that either. Somewhere in between. Kind of like a lesser Keith Tkachuk (but hopefully without the 'off' switch in the playoffs).

I could see Ladd actually scoring the most goals out of everyone in the draft year outside of Ovechkin though. Why? He just seems like he'll have longevity in the NHL to me, and while not many of his goals are finess, there weren't many guys this year that were willing to get dirty goals like Ladd was, and I have a feeling in several years that kind of stuff will be at an all-time high in terms of valued talents around the league go.

Ladd has spent the last two seasons proving people wrong, I have little doubt he'll continue doing that.

That said, there is stuff behind this 'Ladd will bust' talk. He did sort of come out of nowhere. But I still like the pick.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i like some of the gary roberts/ ryan smyth comparisons ive heard and think he will be in that mold. he may never put up big numbers, but a guy playing that style who has fundamental skills can play on the top line forever. roberts and smyth arent the prettiest scorers, and aside from a couple seasons in their primes didnt put out huge numbers either. they are who they are because of their consistency of work, ability to mix well with others guys and do the dirty wotk. if ladd can come close to this he will be valueable top line player for the canes - even if he doesnt become a perennial 40 goal 80-90 point guy. the pick (and trade-up)would be more than justified if he is a 25-35 goal 50-60 pt guy who does all the dirty work on the top line.

db23

Central Scouting had Ladd rated behind Kyle Chipchura right up until Chipchura tore his groin in January, so that has to make you wonder a bit. Chipchura went 18th overall and is projected as a thrid line checker. :help:

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Caniacforever said:
That's not a very high endorsement at all! Was there anything in particular that made you not like his style of game?

Don't get me wrong, I thought Andrew Ladd was often one of the best players on the ice throughout the season. Obvioulsy he was motivated to get drafted high. This should also speak volumes: he's willing to go after his goals. I was never in the Hitmen dressing room, but I'm sure he'll be a leader.

However, I question a few parts of his game, especially how they might translate to the NHL game.

-Sometimes it looked as though he really lacked first-step quickness. If the Canes want him to be a John LeClair moulded player, this shouldn't be a big deal...I'm sure Stall will find him open in front of the net. I just don't think he's scary off the rush.

-For a "big guy", I thought he got bumped around a little too often, considering it was junior. I question his strenght on the puck.

-The Getzlaf Factor: I thought Ryan Getzlaf played a more predominant role than anyone in the WHL this year, and that includes Phaneuf. He did it all. I saw two games where Ladd had two points: problem was that they were all 2nd assists on great 1-on-1 plays by Getzlaf. It's become cliche....but I seriously wonder how much this had to do with it.

That being said, I don't think the Canes wasted a pick. Viscous checker, relentless puck pursuer, shot blocker, all with some nifty hands. I'm sure he'll help them win. I just don't think it will be with the same panache that might be expected out of a 4th overall pick.

Ape Clutch

Jul 19, 2004
Aaron Vickers said:
There is no way an NHL hockey club would use its fourth overall selection on a player if they didn't think he had big-time, top line potential, and at least scouts from two different teams I've talked to told me before the draft, that Ladd was a top five selection. They were right.

Watch it man, there is a guy called Chad Kilger

AG9NK35DT8*

Russian_fanatic said:
will be a COMPLETE player , and get around 35-40 goals regulary ...
will be a compete player, i dont know about that. a second liner able to step into first line duty if needed upoln injury to a player on the team. 35-40 goals i doubt that more like 20-27 or so, maybe 20-25 with a 50-60 point per season player

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
db23 said:
Central Scouting had Ladd rated behind Kyle Chipchura right up until Chipchura tore his groin in January, so that has to make you wonder a bit. Chipchura went 18th overall and is projected as a thrid line checker. :help:

Chipchura was ranked #1 in January, so you could say the same about Cam Barker, Alexandre Picard, and any other Canadian picked before Chipchura in the 2004 draft. I don't think it means much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->