Player Discussion Andrew Cogliano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
It's a weird thing for an Ironman to get the Masterton, though.

If you give it to him while his streak is still active, you might jinx him. Plus, if you're gonna give it to him now, is he just gonna win all of them until he finally misses a game?

And if you give it to him when his streak is broken, that doesn't really send the right message either.

I dunno if we'll see Cogliano get the Masterton until he surpasses Jarvis.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's a weird thing for an Ironman to get the Masterton, though.

If you give it to him while his streak is still active, you might jinx him. Plus, if you're gonna give it to him now, is he just gonna win all of them until he finally misses a game?

And if you give it to him when his streak is broken, that doesn't really send the right message either.

I dunno if we'll see Cogliano get the Masterton until he surpasses Jarvis.

Or if we ever have a year with no personal tragedies overcome. In recent years that seems to be the trend. Not to say the recipients haven't been worthy, but dedication and perseverance without some tragedy just doesn't win anymore.

vavera4ka

Quack! Quack!
Dec 27, 2014
twitter.com
That's my pipe dream, kinda like world peace and cure for all diseases...
I wish there were no more (ever) "my life sucks more than yours" nominees, not because they are not worthy, but because there are no guys like that, everyone is happy, healthy and is playing their fav game. Or at the very least it's hockey related stuff, like what Ray Emery went through, or what Teemu got his Masterton for.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Love everything about the guy, the perfect role player that every team wants to have and--despite what the DoPS seems to think :mad:;)--embodies everything good about the game.

Also seems to love the organization as much as he's beloved by the fan base. He should absolutely retire a Duck and I hope that he does.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
5-4, 9 pts in his last 11 games.

2-7, 9 pts for Silf as well.
Kesler only went 2-3, in those 11 games but these 3 guys were a HUGE reason we went 10-1-1 in our last 12

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
He's a terror on the PK, a main reason Ducks have consistently had a good one for awhile. Wingers do not have to score a bunch of goals to be effective players, I think Cogs and Silf are not recognized enough for their defense.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I am dissapointed in Silfverberg and think he will be a goner in the offseason. Or start of the next season latest.
He is still a good player, but I think the writing is on the wall.

But this is Cogs thread. And yes, Cogs is textbook consistent. He doesn`t have the softest hands, but he is stil a great warrior for us. Realistically he is a 3d liner, not a 2nd liner, though.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I am dissapointed in Silfverberg and think he will be a goner in the offseason. Or start of the next season latest.
He is still a good player, but I think the writing is on the wall.

But this is Cogs thread. And yes, Cogs is textbook consistent. He doesn`t have the softest hands, but he is stil a great warrior for us. Realistically he is a 3d liner, not a 2nd liner, though.

What if Silfverberg has another ~PPG playoffs?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
What if Silfverberg has another ~PPG playoffs?
Then we bite the pillow.

Obviously it would be great if true and any of the Ducks management would welcome that with open arms. But overall - he has looked better in the past than he has this season on an injury plagued team.
Playoffs will matter so yeah, let`s see what he does now.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
He's a terror on the PK, a main reason Ducks have consistently had a good one for awhile. Wingers do not have to score a bunch of goals to be effective players, I think Cogs and Silf are not recognized enough for their defense.

I think Cogliano's defense gets underrated, but Silfverberg's doesn't at all. I actually think Silfverberg's defense was a bit overrated this year. He wasn't nearly as good, offensively or defensively, this year as he was last IMO.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
How Silf performs won't have a bearing on his Anaheim future, I think he's a goner either way given Cog's extension (which will be a far better value for money contract then Silf's next contract IMO).

If he (and the team) has a poor playoffs, he'll be the #1 target to be shipped out for a 'shake up' as he's the most movable and one of the guys who underperformed during the season. If he has a great playoffs then he has priced himself out of Anaheim as he'd likely get 5.5m+ based on his playoff performances which is crazy money for a 40 point player even if he's very good defensively.

Reactions: Kalv

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think Cogliano's defense gets underrated, but Silfverberg's doesn't at all. I actually think Silfverberg's defense was a bit overrated this year. He wasn't nearly as good, offensively or defensively, this year as he was last IMO.

With Kesler out for most of the year, he and Cogs still played against the other team's best line (with Grant or Henrique) and did the job for the most part. Not you, but many others have the narrative with Cogs and Silf of "not enough goals for a second line winger." Nice try, but that isn't their role on this team or with this coach. Ducks "second line" is not expected to be a big scoring line.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
With Kesler out for most of the year, he and Cogs still played against the other team's best line (with Grant or Henrique) and did the job for the most part. Not you, but many others have the narrative with Cogs and Silf of "not enough goals for a second line winger." Nice try, but that isn't their role on this team or with this coach. Ducks "second line" is not expected to be a big scoring line.

I will admit that I'm not looking at stats when giving this evaluation, but based on the eye test: I don't think they were matched up with other teams top lines religiously like they were in the past. When Getzlaf came back and Kesler was still out; it seemed Getzlaf's line got the majority of the tough matchups. Sure, when Kesler came back it went back to how it was/is, but prior to that they weren't just being used in defensive situations. Also, based on the eye test, Cogliano's defensive game didn't seem to drop from last year's, but Silfverberg's sure seemed to. Not saying he was bad or anything like that, but last year I thought Silfverberg was arguably stronger defensively than Kesler. It didn't seem that way this year. Offensively Cogliano also turned it on the 2nd half of this year. Silfverberg improved but not that much. I thought Cogs was easily the best of these 3 this year. So while I somewhat agree that offense isn't the primary purpose for this line; they weren't always used as a pure shutdown line and when they weren't, they struggled to produce much offensively.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I will admit that I'm not looking at stats when giving this evaluation, but based on the eye test: I don't think they were matched up with other teams top lines religiously like they were in the past. When Getzlaf came back and Kesler was still out; it seemed Getzlaf's line got the majority of the tough matchups. Sure, when Kesler came back it went back to how it was/is, but prior to that they weren't just being used in defensive situations. Also, based on the eye test, Cogliano's defensive game didn't seem to drop from last year's, but Silfverberg's sure seemed to. Not saying he was bad or anything like that, but last year I thought Silfverberg was arguably stronger defensively than Kesler. It didn't seem that way this year. Offensively Cogliano also turned it on the 2nd half of this year. Silfverberg improved but not that much. I thought Cogs was easily the best of these 3 this year. So while I somewhat agree that offense isn't the primary purpose for this line; they weren't always used as a pure shutdown line and when they weren't, they struggled to produce much offensively.

I agree that Cogs was the best on that line this year. Just feel like the "get rid of Silf" people are not seeing the entire picture.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't want to get rid of silf but if it's henrique or silf I'm taking henrique

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
No way silf gets 5.5 even if he does well in the playoffs. That seems way to high to me. I still hope we keep him because Im not sure what that line becomes without him. They have a very unique role and I cant see us finding anyone close to as effective at that role for leas money but if it is between him and Rico we have to take Rico.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I agree that Cogs was the best on that line this year. Just feel like the "get rid of Silf" people are not seeing the entire picture.

I getcha. I don't know if many want to just get rid of him. I'm sure there's one or two, but most (including myself) don't necessarily want him gone, but question whether we can afford to re-sign him and Silfverberg (after just re-signing Cogliano). A lot depends on what he wants in his new contract, and how we do in these playoffs.

Reactions: Deuce22

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Could be just the result of age and loss of a step, but there's something picking at the back of my mind that displeases me about the 'Stache in the league office. It may sound ridiculous, but I don't think it's a coincidence that he hasn't played particularly well since he got suspended last year, almost like he lost his identity as a player

Reactions: McDonald19

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Needs to go ASAP before he has no value. By next year we'll have too many wingers fighting for NHL spots. I don't want him holding any of them back.

Reactions: McDonald19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad