Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm curious to see the voting results for the Vezina this year. In think Hedman has the Norris locked up but not so sure Vasi takes the Vezina

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm curious to see the voting results for the Vezina this year. In think Hedman has the Norris locked up but not so sure Vasi takes the Vezina
It's Rinne's year. Although I'm not sure he wants to go get it with that horrible playoff run he had.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
It's Rinne's year. Although I'm not sure he wants to go get it with that horrible playoff run he had.
Agreed, even tho voting is based off the regular season I still think playoff performances come into consideration as well a bit and Rinne didn't have a very good post season.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

Vasy finished 3rd....okay?

I'm actually not that surprised by this because this is only his first year as the starter for his team. He's got plenty more years of Vezina nominations to come. I'm now curious as to whether or not any first year starter has ever won the Vezina. Though the number of franchise records he set is pretty dang remarkable.

Plus he's only 23 freaking years old. My SON is 23 years old and, as much as I love him, he's nowhere nearly as focused/accomplished!! :laugh:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed, even tho voting is based off the regular season I still think playoff performances come into consideration as well a bit and Rinne didn't have a very good post season.

Pretty sure the votes are tallied before the playoffs begin. I could be wrong on that, but the nominees are released before the playoffs, and I'm pretty sure those are just the top-3 votes. So it's probably a bitter-sweet moment for Rinne, knowing how sour things turned right after the votes came in.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm actually not that surprised by this because this is only his first year as the starter for his team. He's got plenty more years of Vezina nominations to come. I'm now curious as to whether or not any first year starter has ever won the Vezina. Though the number of franchise records he set is pretty dang remarkable.

Plus he's only 23 freaking years old. My SON is 23 years old and, as much as I love him, he's nowhere nearly as focused/accomplished!! :laugh:

Jim Carey, the one hit wonder of goalies.

Rinne had a better season, really. Vasy came out of the gate super hot, but he lost the award down the stretch, where he was probably below average. Consistency is always tough for young goalies.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Vasi lost a lot of votes with his numbers in the second half, whether it was his fault or not it was a pretty bad trend statistically. Recency bias as the other goalies were probably just as bad early on but that gets glossed over now.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If he had played better in the second half he would have won. He is still super young and I think he gets another shot soon. Maybe as soon as next year.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Yeah, I agree that the second half of the season is what dropped him down in the minds of the voters. But he's so fricking young and so fricking GOOD that I'm sure we'll see him nominated again. Soon, hopefully. :D

Is it October yet????

Reactions: CupsOverCash

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
GMJB has got quite the task locking up Vasy and Point.

Which is why I’ve been saying forever that the idea that we can somehow afford Karlsson/Panarin is absurd. By the time we sign Vasy, Point, and Serg we’ll be lucky to keep Gourde - and that’s with Miller being traded and letting all our veteran UFAs walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad