Prospect Info: Andrei Svechnikov or Adam Boqvist?

Who would you rather draft 2nd Overall?

• Total voters

CroatianCanuck

Jul 11, 2008
Vancouver
By the looks of the Canucks lately... It obvious the Canucks can't score. But they also lack a puck moving offensive D that can QB a power play. It seems like these 2 are the "unanimous" #2 and #3 pick.

Obviously Rasmus Dahlin isn't available to us by this point.

Last edited:

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Oh my. Don’t bring this out yet. There’s gonna be a lot of people who dont know much about the draft class.

Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
in that order.

Svechnikov is injured, he’s not being “passed” for any valid reason. This is silly.
Those aren’t the “unanimous” 2nd and 3rd picks by any account.

CroatianCanuck

Jul 11, 2008
Vancouver
Oh my. Don’t bring this out yet. There’s gonna be a lot of people who dont know much about the draft class.

Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
in that order.

Svechnikov is injured, he’s not being “passed” for any valid reason. This is silly.
Those aren’t the “unanimous” 2nd and 3rd picks by any account.

Good point... I just read Craig Button's "Craigs list" that came out today and read a few more prospect ranking websites and most of the experts rank it Svechnikov/Boqvist. I know its super early.. Just interested in what people think....and how they would rank it personally.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
I like Boqvist but haven't had a chance to watch enough to be confident in ranking them yet.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If Svechnikov is there when we pick I take him. Defenseman can be had lower in drafts as you really don't know what you have til a few years later with them as they mature. There is always an exemption however but top end scoring talent you have a pretty good idea what that player will become sooner. I'm taking Svechnikov.

Jessep

Oct 27, 2017
Currently sitting at 15th pick overall. So yes, a tad early to discuss who we draft next June.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Currently sitting at 15th pick overall. So yes, a tad early to discuss who we draft next June.
To be fair, a couple weeks ago we were sitting at #22.

It's clear where this ship is heading.
Untitled.png

Last edited:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
All we need to be is 17th overall to have a chance at the lottery and move up to 2nd Overall :p

The scary part is that this legitimately is Benning's thought process when it comes to the draft. :laugh:

As my chart suggests however, I would prefer we aim for pick -1 to really secure our chances at Dahlin, Svech or Boqvist

CroatianCanuck

Jul 11, 2008
Vancouver
The scary part is that this legitimately is Benning's thought process when it comes to the draft. :laugh:

As my chart suggests however, I would prefer we aim for pick -1 to really secure our chances at Dahlin, Svech or Boqvist

Absolutely! I'm all in for tanking. With our young guns continuing to develop. I would like to see something like when Bertuzzi Naslund Morrison first got together. Where we were exciting but sucked.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Really? I think I have Merkley at about 9th or 10th for just d-men this year. Dahlin, Boqvist, Wilde, Quinn, Smith, Bouchard, Woo, Samuelsson for me.

Maybe I just have a love affair for him. But what he's doing in the CHL is essentially unprecedented. And on a tools level, he's just incredible. Probably the best skating defenseman in the draft, the skill, vision, offensive IQ etc.

He takes risks, and he can obviously get better defensively (although it seems like he's coming along there). But so much talent.

Would have been nice for Svech to stay healthy though. He was just heating up when he got hurt.

Jessep

Oct 27, 2017

Finishing dead last doesn't guarantee a top three pick. Just ask Colorado.

What you prefer and what really happens are two very different things. I actually don't see this team finishing bottom 5 never mind dead last.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Since we're being stupid and arbitrarily narrowing it to a pair of random prospects at this early point...

Oliver Wahlstrom, or i riot.

CroatianCanuck

Jul 11, 2008
Vancouver
I can totally see a scenario where the BPA is a forward and we pick a D and then later regret it :P like taking Boqvist over Svechnikov. Its a canuck thing to do haha

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Finishing dead last doesn't guarantee a top three pick. Just ask Colorado.

What you prefer and what really happens are two very different things. I actually don't see this team finishing bottom 5 never mind dead last.
Gee, you mean to tell me that drafting at the negative one position isn't realistic? Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think, pretty much any time someone uses the word "guarantee" in a post, you can just skip it. Yes, including this one.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well, the Canucks depth chart for young D is limited.

Mceneny top end 3rd pairing or spare D
Subban doubt he ever plays for the Canucks.
Brisebois 2nd pairing
Juolevi top 4
Chatfield, not sure.

It's a pretty bare blueline, if you assume that the team will pass on giving gudbranson a long term deal. Edler should not be re-signed when his deal expires.

Depends in what side of the fence you sit on with trading tanev before his contract expires in 2020.

Plus the team has no PP QB.

They can use both, just have to see which position has the better player.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Kotkaniemi.

I do believe they'll come out of the draft with a PP QB type d-man though. Boqvist, Hughes, Wilde, Merkley assuming we're not picking top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad