Andrei Kostitsyn

Nova_Scotia_Vees

Jun 1, 2004
I seen him (unless ther's a trade) starting in hamilton where he will lead the league in scoring then next year he'll be with the big club.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
he need to have very very good teamates, he scores around that last year in the AHL.

On a bad Hamilton team where he was 2nd in scoring, despite being among the youngest on the team (Pouliot and Jacques were 2-3 months younger) Kostitsyn had a .73 ppg average. Not great but not bad either. He's still got a lot of work to do but has made big improvements in his defensive game. The problem is that he still tries to do too much on his own, trying to skate through 3-4 players only to lose the puck.

Will Andrei Kostitsyn making the Canadians and if so what kind of numbers will he put up

I don't know if he makes the club. I expect him to play with the Habs but don't know if he can get a full time spot. If he could get a full time spot I'd guess he'd get somewhere around 25, maybe 30 pts but it all depends on what line, linemates, icetime and PP time. So really hard to guess at this point.

I seen him (unless ther's a trade) starting in hamilton where he will lead the league in scoring then next year he'll be with the big club.

I personally highly doubt he will lead the AHL in scoring. I'd be happy with 60+ pts. (which would have led last years Bulldogs in scoring)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Count me among those hoping that Kostitsyn is back in the AHL next season. (Well, unless he flat out earns a spot in Montreal in training camp, of course.) But right now, barring off-season injuries, the Habs seem to have a reasonably set group of top-9 forwards in Ryder-Koivu-Higgins, Samsonov-Ribeiro-Kovalev, and Perezhogin-Plekanec-Johnson. Kostitsyn on a 4th line or in a spare-forward role wouldn't be optimal, IMHO. I'd rather see him being the absolute go-to guy in Hamilton again.

And as to the common Habs fan refrain that he "looked better in Montreal than in Hamilton"... well... he does have NHL-calibre skills and he did seem motivated to display them in some key shifts for the Habs during his cameo appearances last season. But I think part of the key with Kostitsyn is that he needs to be motivated to display those skills *all the time*, wherever he's playing, be it in Hamilton or Montreal. And you could have cherry-picked a few games or shifts in Hamilton where he dazzled too. It doesn't mean that he's ready. IMO the player we saw last season in Hamilton is NOT ready to break into the Habs lineup. But that doesn't necessarily mean he won't come to training camp more revved up and more ready than he was the last time we saw him. At this point, I'd count it as a mild surprise if he cracked the Habs roster as a regular out of training camp, but I guess not a huge surprise.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Perezhogin and Kostitsyn fates are directly liked .. IMO

Only one of them will make the Habs next season and the better training camp will be the determining factor in the end ..

Not enough space for both without other injuries to Hab players higher up on the depth chart ..

If Chipchura secures a 4th line roster spot one of their fates is sealed for sure even more as Kyle is a much better fit to play on a 4th checking line then either Perezhogin or Kostitsyn

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Perezhogin is far better than Kostitsyn right now and I would be really surprised if Kostitsyn makes the team this year. The guy is a really risky prospect, but he has the skill to become a first line player. But I feel he'll never be better than a not so good 2nd liner...

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I think he's progressing fairly well. He's only 21, has two years of North American experience under his belt, improved statistically and in the defensive end each year, seems committed to playing in the big leagues and has tremendous abilities to go along with his sturdy frame. His progression hasn't been as fast as some of the high end first rounders of 2003, but it is going at a casual yet smooth rate. When you boil it down, he had a better year than Perezhogin, Plekanec and Higgins did when they were 20. I expect him to start the season in Hamilton though I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up 10 games into the year and remains a fixture in our lineup. Although it won't happen, I honestly hope he and Latendresse make the team this year, better have them start early anyway.

DanKramerHabs

HFBoards Partner
Before our recent moves, it was a good bet that Kostitsyn would make the team out of camp this year. However, there now is not much room for him.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plekanec - Johnson
Murray - Bonk - Begin

Barring a trade, the only player that Kostitsyn can realistically beat out for a job in camp is Perezhogin. Alexander will have the upper hand, having spent nearly all of last year with the Habs, and looking good in the post-season, so it will take something really really special for Andrei to pass him in the depth charts during camp.

Other rookies have an easier job ahead of them to make the team, but it is not to say they are "better" or "more ready" than Kostitsyn. Chipchura and Lapierre will be trying to show they deserve a spot more than Radek Bonk, while Grabovski will hope to dazzle enough to replace Mike Ribeiro. It all comes down to what spot up front a player is most suited for.

I guess we'll have to see come training camp. Could make for some very difficult decisions, and could force a trade or 2.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
This isnt meant to bask AK or fans of Montreal so I hope they dont take it as a slam, but I remember when he was drafted and the next year or so how I would read all over these boards how he was the steal of the draft (Phaneuf at 9 was the steal of the draft thus far and I see no reason why that will change) and how he either would be the best forward taken or had the potential to be. It is just interesting to me remembering all the super high praise he was getting (as the next big star/Calder guy/Draft day's biggest steal) from Hab fans and Kyle Woodlief didnt help matters by pimping the poor kid to death either.
And now we are still discussing his AHL career (which isnt a bad thing....no need to rush him) when all the hype he was getting you would have thought he would have been in the league full time from draft day.
Again, thats no slam on AK, I wish him the best. It just looks so interesting now how deep that draft class was, and how good the class is and how certain fans were pimpimg him as the posiible best....just interesting

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
Kyle Woodlief didnt help matters by pimping the poor kid to death either.

Woodlief's assessment of his persona couldn't be more wrong. The fiery, determined dynamo he described is not the player I've seen in the AHL. He was stripped of the puck very easily and afraid to take a hit.

However, he's seemed to have a real fire lit under him in the 2nd half of last season with Hamilton/Montreal. Maybe he's got 2 personas.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
This isnt meant to bask AK or fans of Montreal so I hope they dont take it as a slam, but I remember when he was drafted and the next year or so how I would read all over these boards how he was the steal of the draft (Phaneuf at 9 was the steal of the draft thus far and I see no reason why that will change) and how he either would be the best forward taken or had the potential to be. It is just interesting to me remembering all the super high praise he was getting (as the next big star/Calder guy/Draft day's biggest steal) from Hab fans and Kyle Woodlief didnt help matters by pimping the poor kid to death either.
And now we are still discussing his AHL career (which isnt a bad thing....no need to rush him) when all the hype he was getting you would have thought he would have been in the league full time from draft day.
Again, thats no slam on AK, I wish him the best. It just looks so interesting now how deep that draft class was, and how good the class is and how certain fans were pimpimg him as the posiible best....just interesting

You have to remember when it comes to HF, habs prosepcts will always be pimped more than other teams prospects because of the simple fact there are alot more hab fans on HF than those of other teams. It's strictly a numbers thing.

Another thing to remember is, I don't think anybody looked at AK as a guy who would make the jump to the NHL in the next year or two. Most reports I remember reading on him stated he will be a project, which to date has held true.

There is no doubting that Kostitsyn has world class skills, in certain areas. That does not nessesary translate into NHL success mind you, and I think that is what some hab fans and Andrei himself is slowly finding out.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
Unless one or the other really steals to show in camp, I hope Kostitsyn and Grabovsky go down in Hamilton and have fun together tearing up that league !! Let them build a ton of confidence and then, if everything goes smoothly, bring'em back.
I'm one of those who believes time is starting to run out on AK. I don't ask of him to dominate the NHL or anything, but he's got to show us something fast; How about some consistancy and a little more drive for starters.

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
I'm one of those who believes time is starting to run out on AK.

His time is running out? Will he explode if he isn't an NHL regular by the end of this season?

Really, his situation has to do with Montreal's solid drafting of forwards the past 5 years. He was in competition with Higgins, Plekanec, Hossa and Perezhogin due to the lockout last year. Now he's got to look over his shoulders and see the flashy Grabovski and hulking Latendresse.

Had he been 5 years younger, you'd have seen him with the big club, no doubt. Yes, his AHL stats are nothing to get excited about, but when called up he played superbly with limited ice time.

To suggest his time is running out is to recall Hossa, who was called up when players like Balej were trying to earn a roster spot. His case was completely different. Kostitsyn is in the middle of an influx of quality forward prospects trying to impress, and due to having the least experience in the AHL, he's waiting his turn. Gainey signed Samsonov instead of leaving a roster spot open, which attests to the fact that he isn't too anxious to see what Kostitsyn can do.

So in short, AK's time isn't running out. Even if Grabovski and Latendresse rise through the ranks quicker, he should be given ample opportunities the next few season with Montreal.

Last edited:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
You have to remember when it comes to HF, habs prosepcts will always be pimped more than other teams prospects because of the simple fact there are alot more hab fans on HF than those of other teams. It's strictly a numbers thing.

Another thing to remember is, I don't think anybody looked at AK as a guy who would make the jump to the NHL in the next year or two. Most reports I remember reading on him stated he will be a project, which to date has held true.
There is no doubting that Kostitsyn has world class skills, in certain areas. That does not nessesary translate into NHL success mind you, and I think that is what some hab fans and Andrei himself is slowly finding out.

thank you and thank god someone talked about it! Kostytsin was a project to begin with, everyone knew that, it's his rare upside that made him a top5-10 pick, he's a gamble but he's fast, has awesome hands, a very close wrister to Kovalev, huge slapshot, makes crisp passes even if he does it rarely, he's physical.... the kid has everything, he just need's to put i together and learn not only the north american game but the way of living as well, once he feels home in Montreal, we'l have our next superstar

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
I saw Kostitsyn alot in Hamilton, I also saw him play in Montreal. In Hamilton some shifts he seemed like he had no desire to do anything, looked like he wasn't trying or giving a full effort, other shifts he was doing magical things and showed what a true talent he is. While he was in Montreal he looked great for the limited icetime he got, I think he will give a 100% if he makes the Canadiens. If he doesn't make the team it could be a big confidence killer.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I saw Kostitsyn alot in Hamilton, I also saw him play in Montreal. In Hamilton some shifts he seemed like he had no desire to do anything, looked like he wasn't trying or giving a full effort, other shifts he was doing magical things and showed what a true talent he is. While he was in Montreal he looked great for the limited icetime he got, I think he will give a 100% if he makes the Canadiens. If he doesn't make the team it could be a big confidence killer.

not really, not with the arrival of Grabovsky atleast and maybe even his little brother since there is no rules on Euros

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->