Andrei Kostitsyn potential?

GSK*

Not for a little while, if at all, but I can see him getting 20-30 or so two years from now, maybe even next year.

Exactly...I don't really see him scoring 40 goals in the NHL. But he got the upside to do 30 goals each year for several years with his very good wirstshot and he got a very good on-ice vision and playmaking abilities to reach 40-45 assists.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
well he's got better knees than neely.

actually, neely's issue was his hip.

back to kostitsyn, who has superhuman strength and should be a star in the NHL for a long time. tell me habs fans, aside from jessiman, who is a worse pick than "kosty" in the 1st round?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
And what is your goal with trying to say that evreything about the habs suck, you had that goofy Latendresse avatar until he started to play good and now you have a avatar about a player that played 8 seasons with you guys:help:

i like sammy. always have been a fan of his - just feel bad for him that he's stuck in montreal. looking forward to him receiving his freedom this summer.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada

back to kostitsyn, who has superhuman strength and should be a star in the NHL for a long time. tell me habs fans, aside from jessiman, who is a worse pick than "kosty" in the 1st round?

How can you make such an assessment after most players from the 2003 draft either have 0, 1 or 2 years of experience under their belt ? We'll talk about this in 2010. For now, Kostitsyn looks like a fine pick..... from what he's shown, he has talent worth a top-10 selection. Now let's see if he has the determination and work ethic to play up to this special talent.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal

Coburn, Jessiman, Fehr, Stuart, Pouliot, Kesler (yes he has some points in the NHL, actually more than Kosty, but he turned out to be a flop and is now a max 3rd liner, while Kosty is 1st line potential), Boyle ,Stewart and Belle, are worse than Kostitsyn IN THE FIRST ROUND.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
I don't agree...people only say that because guys like Getzlaf and Parise were drafted latter in the draft. There's also a crop of player who are already good, but not great, some of them will turn out to be not much, but Kostitsyn is playing quite well right now and he's finaly becoming a NHL player, which make the pick a good one.

neelysnuts has an irrational hate of all things Canadiens, but does sort of have a point there. "So far" he is one of the weaker picks, but that's doesn't necessarily mean he won't become a solid NHLer. "So far" things are looking good for him becoming a top 6 producer next season but he's only played 14 NHL games this year.

Edit: I just looked at his next post, and he got completely owned. But my point stands, that it's uphill battle for Kostitsyn to be seen as good pick.

In the top 9, all have proven more than Kost and after that you have guys like Carter, Perry, Richards, Kesler, Eaves, Getzlaf etc...But there are also players who haven't proven as much at the NHL level from the 2003 first round, Belle, Jessiman, Stewart, Boyle etc...

I think Kostitsyn has more offensive potential than some guys picked after him but a lot of them have already made a splash in the NHL so he's going to have to turn into a pretty good player to justify the no.10 pick, when people look at whose been picked after him.

Again, I'm not disappointed with the way he's turning out, far from it. But I think you'll have guys pointing to Getzlaf, Bernier etc...until Kostitsyn establishes himself as a top 6 NHLer. And even then, if he's not the 10th best player from the draft, people will find a reason to criticize him.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Coburn, Jessiman, Fehr, Stuart, Pouliot, Kesler (yes he has some points in the NHL, actually more than Kosty, but he turned out to be a flop and is now a max 3rd liner, while Kosty is 1st line potential), Boyle ,Stewart and Belle, are worse than Kostitsyn IN THE FIRST ROUND.

when were those guys picked? just about every one of them after kosty. my main point here, is that considering the habs had such a high pick, their return on investment at this stage of the game is very bad.

Bryzga lol*

had an assist on the Plekanec goal tonight with a period left to go... 6 points in his last 5 games, plus a shootout winner....not bad

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
when were those guys picked? just about every one of them after kosty. my main point here, is that considering the habs had such a high pick, their return on investment at this stage of the game is very bad.

Yeah and after last season Higgins was a better pick then Semin. At that stage he was better. Does it mean he's still a better pick? No. Wait till 2008-2009 then we can judge.

mytor4*

ok he's got better hips than neely,better knees, should easily have a LONGER career than him to.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Not quite :shakehead

maybe not yet, but Kosty was always considerd as a project who would take more years then the others to devolop, people here are just fast on giving up, it's always about the guys who make it first, not who turns out the best of them... KJosty has more skills then most guys of his draft except maybe Zherdev, Vanek and Stall who he is either very close or on par with them( again only in terms of skills). Once he pans out completely you'l see him owning the ice just like Alexei Kovalev can, maybe not racking up the points but he's still 1st line material

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal

By your logic, because he's taken a longer time to develop then guys picked ahead of him, he's already a bust? Ahh right, I'm at HF. Where draft picks that don't immidiately contribute are trashed. Silly me.

Then again, you DO hate anything remotely associate with the Montreal Canadiens so why should I be surprised that you contribute anything to this thread other than mindless bashing?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
tell me habs fans, aside from jessiman, who is a worse pick than "kosty" in the 1st round?

I don't know if you watched the last two games, but if you did, how about those two passes he had? Both assists were great setups imo. The first one in game one was on the game winning goal that likely ended any hope of boston making the playoffs, what a pass it was it. Last night was another impressive pass, he quickly but softly got it to Plekanec and then Thomas made a great save but was down and out so Plekanec just threw it in off his pads.

Kostitsyn has been among the Habs top players for most of the games since his last recall. What was up with that penalty call on him last night? unneccessary farting? what a joke.

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
Guys, if you really want to talk about an horrible Habs pick in 2003, talk about Cory Urquhart.

or if you wanna talk about great picks talk about Halak in the 9th round!! Hes alrdy worth alot more then 99% of 9th rounders and has alrdy given the habs more then most 9th rounder will ever give.

amon

Jul 20, 2005
Montreal
or if you wanna talk about great picks talk about Halak in the 9th round!! Hes alrdy worth alot more then 99% of 9th rounders and has alrdy given the habs more then most 9th rounder will ever give.

OK now lets just hope he turns out to be a new Khabibulin (when he was with tampa :yo: ) :handclap: :handclap:

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
he'll be out of montreal before next season - i think that's just about a given, don't you?

While it may be what Montreal wants, it's not a certainty.

Who knows if the coach or GM will still be around in the summer? Who knows if Gainey doesn't think about it rationally: 'we have him, might as well USE him', which is a something I wish they'd consider a little longer. After all, if you're patient with someone for 4 months, what's an extra 2?

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
While it may be what Montreal wants, it's not a certainty.

Who knows if the coach or GM will still be around in the summer? Who knows if Gainey doesn't think about it rationally: 'we have him, might as well USE him', which is a something I wish they'd consider a little longer. After all, if you're patient with someone for 4 months, what's an extra 2?

Given Kostitsyn's great play since his recall, I don't see Samsonov fitting anywhere on this team anymore. So long as Kostitsyn continues playing like he is now, I have no problem if Gainey decides to buy Samsonov out this coming off-season.

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
Given Kostitsyn's great play since his recall, I don't see Samsonov fitting anywhere on this team anymore. So long as Kostitsyn continues playing like he is now, I have no problem if Gainey decides to buy Samsonov out this coming off-season.

At how much though? Sounds rediculous to me, might as well have an extra body if you're going to waste that much cap space. But this is off-topic.

I don't know if the issue has been raised, but Kostitsyn is only now playing the same style as he was reported to have when drafted. He really had to get used to the pace and physicality of the NA game, so if one would compare him to a 1st round European prospect, I can understand why his development is considered puzzling.

Perhaps his development should be viewed in context of North American players. After all, who does he really compare to?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
At how much though? Sounds rediculous to me, might as well have an extra body if you're going to waste that much cap space. But this is off-topic.
$1.175M... and given that Samsonov can't get into the lineup now in games where Kovalev and Bonk are hurt, when we dress two defensemen as forwards, then I don't see why anybody would expect anything other than the buyout in the summer. Wasting $1.175M of cap space on a buyout is still better than wasting $3.525M of cap space on the 15th or 16th forward on your depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->