Andrei Kastsitsyn top end potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR. Holiday

JasonMacIsaac said:
Kastitsyn's top end potential is someting like Mogilny but I think it is highly unlikely he will reach that potential.

Based on what??????????

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Highly unlikely....Why would a guy drafted that highly have his potential be highly unlikely reached...?

I mean seriously....

I know he's had previous concerns about his Epilepsy...but I mean of late that guy has been fine...Doctors say it's nothing to worry about...

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
IMO Kastsitsyn's top end potential is relatively unknown due to a lack of exposition. Some will argue on these board that they saw him a couple of time at WJC but in my mind that is not enough to determine his top end potential. Moreover, some other posters are going to post biased projection because of that Redline crap saying that Kastsitsyn was the best player in the 2003 draft ahead of guys like Staal, Zherdev, Fleury, Horton... :dunno:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
JasonMacIsaac said:
Just a gut feeling, I really didn't like how he played vs Russia last year in the WJC, I know it was one game and all but he was really invisible. I also don't like the fact that he didn't crack the main RSL team this year, I heard he was called up but has yet to play a game after the call up.

Andrei Kastsitsyn has played 6 games in the RSL, with 1 assist (on Zhederv's game winner) and he has 2 pims. He played in 4 games with CSKA, was sent down to CSKA-2, where he had 8 goals in 8 games, and 5 assists for 13 pts in 8 games. Then he got called up again, so far he's played in two straight, today he had no pts. CSKA plays Saturday.

Bo

Don't get too excited about Kosticyn. I think the experts are starting to realize that he was much overrated because he played in a tiny country against low levels of competition. He is not having success in the RSL even though many players his age or younger are. The jig is up.

From here on in it will be a matter of damage control from the Habs point of veiw, try to salvage what they can out of it the way they did with Eric Chouinard. Hope for some fourth line contribution down the road a la Jason Ward.

I knew at the draft it was a terrible mistake to pass on Dustin Brown, Hugh Jessiman, Zach Parise, Patrick O'Sullivan etc. These are solid character players while Kosticyn is a bit of a goof like Marcel Hossa and his ridiculous Halloween hair. Intelligence is the main thing after a certain point in a players career in determining how far they can go. Habs were doing so well with kids like Ron Hainsey, Mike Komisarek, Chris Higgins, Duncan Milroy and Olivier Michaud, then they got off the track.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
DR. Holiday said:
Based on what??????????

It's Alex Mogilny so, naturally, not that many players end up having such great careers. It's not a stretch to doubt he will reach a Mogilny level. Very, very few people do.

having said that, I haven't seen him play. I have no idea what he is like. All I have is second-hand reports and the most flattering of them all (RedLine) I don't trust at all.

He probably isn't a very bad selection but of the players I know, I would have picked Dustin Brown in a second. He would have been a nice fit for the Habs.

Dr.Strangelove91

Nov 27, 2002
Tricolore world
Visit site
Bo said:
Don't get too excited about Kosticyn. I think the experts are starting to realize that he was much overrated because he played in a tiny country against low levels of competition. He is not having success in the RSL even though many players his age or younger are. The jig is up.

From here on in it will be a matter of damage control from the Habs point of veiw, try to salvage what they can out of it the way they did with Eric Chouinard. Hope for some fourth line contribution down the road a la Jason Ward.

I knew at the draft it was a terrible mistake to pass on Dustin Brown, Hugh Jessiman, Zach Parise, Patrick O'Sullivan etc. These are solid character players while Kosticyn is a bit of a goof like Marcel Hossa and his ridiculous Halloween hair. Intelligence is the main thing after a certain point in a players career in determining how far they can go. Habs were doing so well with kids like Ron Hainsey, Mike Komisarek, Chris Higgins, Duncan Milroy and Olivier Michaud, then they got off the track.

Yeah, I mean Andreï IS really stupid.
:shakehead

On a more serious note, I have not seen much of this guy, like almost everybody on this board, but I feel I must give Savard and Madden the benefit of the doubt for their past history on drafting euros. From what I've read here and there, Kastsitsyn sure looks to me like a good pick and a very probable 30 goal scorer in the NHL down the road. Then again, at this time, Dustin Brown sure looks like a much, much safer bet.

habdicted

Jul 16, 2003
north bay, ON
Bo said:

This is the most laughable thing I've ever read, frankly you don't know
s__t about Kosticyn just like the rest of us--so don't pretend you do--
fourth liner ala Jason Ward HA! HA! HA! now thats funny.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
Dr.Strangelove91 said:
Yeah, I mean Andreï IS really stupid.

On a more serious note, I have not seen much of this guy, like almost everybody on this board, but I feel I must give Savard and Madden the benefit of the doubt for their past history on drafting euros. From what I've read here and there, Kastsitsyn sure looks to me like a good pick and a very probable 30 goal scorer in the NHL down the road. Then again, at this time, Dustin Brown sure looks like a much, much safer bet.

i agree brown is probably the safer bet, but in terms of top end potential, it seems that kastistsyn has a much higher ceiling. again, like eveyrone else, i'm running off second hand information here, but from wat it seems like, kastistsyn has a chance to be a real star. brown, on the other hand, will be a solid second liner and possible 1st liner. being a "star" is something i don't really see him being.

with that being said, i couldn't be more happy with us picking him up. love him so far and already one of my favorite kings.

PK*

Bo said:

Yeah, I agree with you that Russia is a tiny country that as a low level of competition :shakehead .

Even though he's from Belarus, he played for a few years now in Russia so he went through one of the best system in the world. The RSL is almost at the same level of the NHL. He had a rough start of the season but he found back his game in the First league (13 pts in 8 games would be very good for a 18 year old in the AHL). Since he got called up, he played pretty good and got an assist.

turnbuckle*

Bo said:

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen here. The Habs are already doing damage control on an 18-year-old? Huh? BTW..I'd like to see that list of 18-year-olds doing well in the RSL...it's pretty short.

As for Patrick O'Sullivan being more of a character player than Kastitsyn....WHAT? Were you hiding under a rock during the past draft? O'Sullivan's character is the main reason he wasn't drafted until late in the second round.

Olivier Michaud is struggling in the ECHL, while Milroy can't crack the Bulldogs. Yeah; they're way better than Andrei. I'd suggest that the Habs drafted six or seven players in the 2003 draft that have a chance to be better pros than Milroy (Kasty, Lapierre, Urquhart, Locke, O'Byrne, Stewart and Kopikari). If that's getting off track, I hope there's a total derailment next season.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
turnbuckle said:
This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen here. The Habs are already doing damage control on an 18-year-old? Huh? BTW..I'd like to see that list of 18-year-olds doing well in the RSL...it's pretty short.

As for Patrick O'Sullivan being more of a character player than Kastitsyn....WHAT? Were you hiding under a rock during the past draft? O'Sullivan's character is the main reason he wasn't drafted until late in the second round.

Olivier Michaud is struggling in the ECHL, while Milroy can't crack the Bulldogs. Yeah; they're way better than Andrei. I'd suggest that the Habs drafted six or seven players in the 2003 draft that have a chance to be better pros than Milroy (Kasty, Lapierre, Urquhart, Locke, O'Byrne, Stewart and Kopikari). If that's getting off track, I hope there's a total derailment next season.

Milroy is on the IR.

Sullivan had a story with his dad I believe.. not too sure what it was.. someone could probably tell you more than I can.

NYR1084

Mar 23, 2003
NY
Visit site
turnbuckle said:

Bo might know baseball but
Bo doesnt know hockey

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Bo said:

All your credibility from your post was taken away in your second paragraph. How can you even compare someone who is an 18-year-old draftee 4 months after being drafted to someone like Eric Chouinard? I think you're hating on him with no evidence to support your weak points. So Bo I say to you, "the jig is up"

Brownies

Bo said:

Can I say EURO HATER here ? :dunno:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
theo6060 said:
All your credibility from your post was taken away in your second paragraph. How can you even compare someone who is an 18-year-old draftee 4 months after being drafted to someone like Eric Chouinard? I think you're hating on him with no evidence to support your weak points. So Bo I say to you, "the jig is up"

he has lost his credibility with his second sentence [QUOTE=''don Cherry' Bo]I think the experts are starting to realize that he was much overrated because he played in a tiny country against low levels of competition[/QUOTE]

Stanger31

Apr 6, 2003
St. Albert
turnbuckle said:

While i agree with your views on Kastitsyn, You were way off on O'Sullivan. It was not his character that got him drafted that late, but what seemed to be uncertainty. He was abused severly by his father for much of his adolescent life both mentally and physically. Think tough love multiplied by about 100. Getting kicked in the backed, yelled at (not just a little, but extremely) for small mistakes, all while you are in junior hockey and lower. It got so severe to merit restraining orders, and other such measures to keep his father away from him. Had nothing been done, he may have killed him at the rate the "punishment" was escalating. I got to read about the story and it is truly a case of when hockey parents go too far.
Don't put that on him, this kid truly has character, much more than people that spout off without knowing exactly what they are talking about, but decide to throw their 2cents in anyway. If you don't know his story, don't say anything, ask. It took me forever to get ahold of some truly reliable info with actual interviews from him and his mother. You wouldn't be perfect either if you went through what he went through. And if i'm not mistaken, i believe his dad was either a rather large man also, was either very tough, or both. It was one of those options. And Sully isn't a very big guy to begin with, let alone when he's 14 or so.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
No last years high pick is lighteningup in RSL right now!!

so don't say he's step behind players drafted in his draft class, as they may have made big club in RSL but they aren't surprising any one yet, Kostitsyn needs atleast two season to establish himself and trust his coachs confidence and when he starts getting top line time scoring will be natural for him, as many scout describe him to be game breaker skills so wait t'ill he plays regularly as top six then rate his performance!!

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
IGM said:
I would say that A.K.'s future is shakey at this point.

Because he's lighting it up with CSKA2 (13Pts in 8GP, 8G+5A) or because he's not having much of a chance to prove himself with CSKA1, playing on the 4th line?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Fans have been spoiled by guys like Kovalchuk and have been conditioned to think that if you can't break into the league as an 18 or 19 year old and make an impact then you are already a lost cause or something.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
true epsilon, but fact is, if a player can come into the league at age 18 and have a significant impact, he is more likely to be a star than one who comes in at age 23. if kastistsyn can't hold his own right now in the RSL, then that means he'll need at least 2-3 more years before he hits the nhl.

i still think he'll be a significant player, but the fact that he can't stay up in RSL is a concerning issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->