Andreas Johnsson needs to be in the Leafs line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We have to get through Boston, Tampa and likely Pittsburgh before we need to worry about Winnipeg, and speed and skill is what you need to beat all 3 of the powers in the East.

Johnsson is a future player for us. I am speaking in this instance to the long game. WPG will be around for a few years competing against us for the prize. I am just saying we need balance here.

Players with size on the Leafs next year... Matthews, Marleau, Hyman.

There you got bud, that's your forward group over 210 lbs lol.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Johnsson is a future player for us. I am speaking in this instance to the long game. WPG will be around for a few years competing against us for the prize. I am just saying we need balance here.

It's not like JVR plays like he is 200+ lbs, Marner gets his hands more dirty in the corners than him and is 175 lbs. We have guys that don't weigh as much like Kapanen and Brown that are very sturdy on their skates and can win puck battles. It is a league where speed kills, and size is now overrated. Just look at Lucic.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Do you know how many regular Forwards the Lightning currently have over 210lbs? 2 (6-Point JT Miller, and 3-Point Adam Erne)
Do you know how many Boston has? 3.
Do you know how many Pittsburgh has? 1.
Do you know how many Nashville has? 3.
Do you know how many Winnipeg has? 3. (4 if you're including Shawn Matthias, who has only dressed in 25 games this season, putting up 3 Points in that time)

Vegas (5), the Wild (5), the Caps (4), and, ironically, the Leafs (4) are currently the only teams with 85+ points rolling more than 3 210lb+ guys on a regular basis this year.

Size doesn't win Championships.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

You forgot Leivo and Martin and potentially Grundstrom, Korshkov with Engvall and Marchment as longshots. Sounds like we have the balance you are talking about.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Do you know how many regular Forwards the Lightning currently have over 210lbs? 2 (6-Point JT Miller, and 3-Point Adam Erne)
Do you know how many Boston has? 3.
Do you know how many Pittsburgh has? 1.
Do you know how many Nashville has? 3.
Do you know how many Winnipeg has? 3. (4 if you're including Shawn Matthias, who has only dressed in 25 games this season, putting up 3 Points in that time)

Vegas (5), the Wild (5), the Caps (4), and, ironically, the Leafs (4) are currently the only teams with 85+ points rolling more than 3 210lb+ guys on a regular basis this year.

Size doesn't win Championships.

I see that, good point. Perhaps the more important issue would be the size on the back end. You are correct we are in-line with other teams regarding size of forwards.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I see that, good point. Perhaps the more important issue would be the size on the back end. You are correct we are in-line with other teams regarding size of forwards.
Meh - Our smallest all-situations Defenseman is Carrick (192) or Zaitsev (195), with everyone else clocking in at 200lbs or higher.

It's true that teams like Boston and Tampa have some monsters on their back-end, but we should be looking to beat them with speed and skill, rather than trying to beat them at their own game, especially when some of those guys (Chara, Coburn, etc.) are on their last legs already.

Edit: This is from January, but as of that time we were the 7th-heaviest team in the League (excluding Goalies). Winnipeg was the only team both heavier (by 0.4lbs) and higher in the standings than us, and Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa Bay, and Vegas were all in the bottom-half of the League in terms of weight.

Sizing up the NHL: 2017-18 NHL teams by age, height and...

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Meh - Our smallest all-situations Defenseman is Carrick (192) or Zaitsev (195), with everyone else clocking in at 200lbs or higher.

It's true that teams like Boston and Tampa have some monsters on their back-end, but we should be looking to beat them with speed and skill, rather than trying to beat them at their own game, especially when some of those guys (Chara, Coburn, etc.) are on their last legs already.

Edit: This is from January, but as of that time we were the 7th-heaviest team in the League (excluding Goalies). Winnipeg was the only team both heavier (by 0.4lbs) and higher in the standings than us, and Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa Bay, and Vegas were all in the bottom-half of the League in terms of weight.

Sizing up the NHL: 2017-18 NHL teams by age, height and...

That looks good, I stand corrected. It's bound to change a bit next season but we should be in the Goldilocks zone still. My bad, I was wrong.

Reactions: IBeL13f

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That looks good, I stand corrected. It's bound to change a bit next season but we should be in the Goldilocks zone still. My bad, I was wrong.
It's all good - I expected teams like Boston would be higher than they actually are, so it was neat to get a League-wide picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad