Andreas Johnsson needs to be in the Leafs line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He is putting up the same type numbers as Leivo who is a heavy forward. A heavy forward is what the experts say we need. Johnsson is 180lbs. It'll be like having Mitch and Mitch lite.

I agree we have to use prospects though and its getting kinda critical here.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How is there any impatience wanting to see Johnsson now? He is ready. He played a couple of seasons in the SHL and has now almost completed his 2nd full season with the Marlies in the AHL. He is 23. I would say he has paid his dues.

I am all about patience in the rebuild. I think we should trade the UFA's even if we are a bit weaker to finish the season, because in the long term it is the right decision.

We have a log jam man. Prospects and cramming together a pseudo contender are non compatible. I wish it weren't true but its looking more like we are going to be developing and giving away assets with this management

Sosh played a short stretch in a position to succeed. He was injured a bit buts that's the and of that. Leivo, had a shot and succeeded, still couldn't get room made for him. The list is set to be piling up and if Johnsson is the solution for JVR we take a step back and get smaller. Not good.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would argue if we get rid of the guys on the fringe, you could roll a good 4th line with Johnsson-Komarov-Brown, and move Kappy up the line up. I think we have to give Leo a try in the 4C slot, before they go and spend assets on one.

So Kapenan is out? no that doesn't work

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He looks ready, his game should transition well to the NHL. I don't see us calling him up though, this "over ripe" approach seems to be working with our prospects. Leading the Marlies on a long playoff run can't hurt in the long run.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He looks ready, his game should transition well to the NHL. I don't see us calling him up though, this "over ripe" approach seems to be working with our prospects. Leading the Marlies on a long playoff run can't hurt in the long run.

It literally hasn't worked once. Dermott would not be considered over ripe either. He is just plain ripe 21yrs old? Name a over ripe player on the team? I guess Brown? Kapanen was like Dermott part of the jam and has been press boxed even.

We have a bit of a problem with asset management. Johnsson will have to pass waivers next year.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Him and kapanen should be top 9 guys right now

Bozak and jvr should be dealt at the deadline.

Reactions: dsred

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs have so few injuries at wing in the past two years, there hasn't room for Johnson, Kapanen and Leivo.
Let's not start experimenting with Komarov at centre, it would only weaken the centre position.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I know very little about him , what is his style? Is he a soft skilled forward? A power forward? Is he more Leo like or Marner like?

He won POW for week ending Feb 4th.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
We have a log jam man. Prospects and cramming together a pseudo contender are non compatible. I wish it weren't true but its looking more like we are going to be developing and giving away assets with this management

Sosh played a short stretch in a position to succeed. He was injured a bit buts that's the and of that. Leivo, had a shot and succeeded, still couldn't get room made for him. The list is set to be piling up and if Johnsson is the solution for JVR we take a step back and get smaller. Not good.

Are you really criticizing management for having too many good players?

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Let him play top minutes and lead the Marlies deep in the playoffs. Next year when our UFAs and Martin are gone he will be in the lineup

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Are you really criticizing management for having too many good players?

When they start complaining and citing their contracts prior to demanding trades. Yes I am. Makes a little more sense to know where you are and what you are doing with yourself to avoid these issues. I mean, seldom hear trade demands from other camps.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Let him play top minutes and lead the Marlies deep in the playoffs. Next year when our UFAs and Martin are gone he will be in the lineup

How? He is tiny. We are making the smurfs I guess. Mtl tried that, look at them.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think Tampa and Nashville are the two smallest teams and they are doing fine. Skill will always triumph size and toughness.

Nope, Nashville has one of the biggest D cores, same with TBL. Literally huge guys. Look it up.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Good to see him playing so well. That early pro career concussion really set him back a bit when he first came over from Europe. It will be interesting to see what the Leafs do. Keep JVR as an own rental or take advantage of the big lead in standings to take a chance on another Marlie call up and get something for JVR and or Bozak. Depth is looking good on forward right now.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I know very little about him , what is his style? Is he a soft skilled forward? A power forward? Is he more Leo like or Marner like?

From what I have seen this year and last.. NHL shot, skilled forward (not physical, but not soft). He goes to the net a lot, gets a lot of deflection goals, rebounds, or takes a mid slot slapper. I don't recall seeing many goals from off to the winger side, everything seems to happen in front of the net for him. Things will be much tougher in the NHL in front of the net, so that adjustment will have a big affect on his success.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He is putting up the same type numbers as Leivo who is a heavy forward. A heavy forward is what the experts say we need. Johnsson is 180lbs. It'll be like having Mitch and Mitch lite.

I agree we have to use prospects though and its getting kinda critical here.
Johnsson is much stronger on his skates and actually has a bit of grit to his game. He is small but built well, dem Swedish genes.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm talking about the forwards where Andreas will be. You don't need big forwards to win.

TBL yes, NSH not so much. It's a little rare to have a small zippy team win it. Don't tell me LA, BOS, CHI or even PITS are small and zippy. They range from heavy to average when they won. (AVG= 6ft-6ft1)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

If you're comparing him to a player on the Leafs I'd say he's like another Connor Brown ... Except I believe he has a better shot. Strong two-way player though.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Nope, Nashville has one of the biggest D cores, same with TBL. Literally huge guys. Look it up.
Nashville also has Arvidsson who is literally a Johnsson clone in terms of build. He seems to be doing just fine. Nashville's D is also not as big as you make it seem. Ekholm is huge but Josi is about average NHL d size while Subban has a similar build to Dermott and Ellis is 5'10.

Reactions: MattySnipes

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Johnsson is much stronger on his skates and actually has a bit of grit to his game. He is small but built well, dem Swedish genes.

Hey man, I hope you're right. I am the guy that wishes this team would move on from UFA Bozak JVR Martin and Komarov(Hesitant about Komarov though). I wish I got a chance to see Leivo give it a shot, Soshnikov and even Johnsson. Glad Kapanen is finally in at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->