Andreas Johnsson needs to be in the Leafs line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It is getting to the point where it is tough to justify him staying down with the Marlies any longer. He is in a very similar situation to Kapanen, where he seems to have outgrown the AHL and has the offensive and defensive tools to play in the NHL.

It is obvious that we are going to have to make some sort of moves to thin out the log jam of: Martin, Soshnikov, Leivo and Moore. Hopefully the moves are enough to create an opportunity for Johnsson to get a shot this season. I am not sure why we haven't explored using Komarov as the 4C, which could allow for Johnsson to slot in at LW on that line, if we move out some bodies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't get it either, he doesn't have any of the issues that are keeping Leivo out of the lineup. He can PK, he can play defensively, he can skate and lay the body. Any offense out of him is just icing on the cake, seems like a Babcock favorite.

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
Another half a season of being on a very strong AHL team, and likely going on a deeper run than the NHL team will not hurt him. With Kapanen and Dermott up someone needs to carry the load down there and he is that guy. We all know next season he will make it, especially if certain wingers are not back. No point in rushing this.

With him aiding a deep AHL playoff run, it will also help the other players on the team develop and gain valuable experience. Without Johnson I'm not sure they're as dominant as they are now, he makes them that much better.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He'll probably be a regular next season. Keep in the marlies for the meantime.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Johnsson will be a consistent 20 goal scorer in NHL and I could see him scoring 30 if given offensive minutes and opportunity. Great pick by the questionable old regime.

Reactions: ThewThew

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
He’s still getting better though. Why take him out and play him with reduced ice time in the NHL while he’s still getting better down there?
Because the rebuild is complete and everything needs to happen now, now, now! Very few Leafs fans appear to have the patience they always said they did.
I'd love to see him get a shot. If he gets an opportunity this year, that's fantastic; if not, no big deal - He'll get an opportunity eventually, so I don't understand the need to demand it right now when things are going right for both the Leafs and the Marlies.

Reactions: egd27

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Might be mistaken but believe waivers is a factor next season for him which likely means he factors into the team.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Might be mistaken but believe waivers is a factor next season for him which likely means he factors into the team.

Yea, because of this, I think he either becomes the "new Leivo*" next season, or gets traded.

* I don't mean as in warms the bench for 95% of the season. Just in that he's an asset that will at least make the roster in the sense of being of some value that we wouldn't want to lose on waivers. I'm not in the profession of projecting how his skill set will translate to our NHL roster next season though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yea, because of this, I think he either becomes the "new Leivo*" next season, or gets traded.

* I don't mean as in warms the bench for 95% of the season. Just in that he's an asset that will at least make the roster in the sense of being of some value that we wouldn't want to lose on waivers. I'm not in the profession of projecting how his skill set will translate to our NHL roster next season though.

Think he's going to want some assurances about next year or would rather head to the SHL.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
But who is he better than in the top 9? you have to have room and we don't, and we won't until next season when and if JVR leaves.

Keep him down until there is room

Reactions: francis246

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Because the rebuild is complete and everything needs to happen now, now, now! Very few Leafs fans appear to have the patience they always said they did.
I'd love to see him get a shot. If he gets an opportunity this year, that's fantastic; if not, no big deal - He'll get an opportunity eventually, so I don't understand the need to demand it right now when things are going right for both the Leafs and the Marlies.
How is there any impatience wanting to see Johnsson now? He is ready. He played a couple of seasons in the SHL and has now almost completed his 2nd full season with the Marlies in the AHL. He is 23. I would say he has paid his dues.

I am all about patience in the rebuild. I think we should trade the UFA's even if we are a bit weaker to finish the season, because in the long term it is the right decision.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
But who is he better than in the top 9? you have to have room and we don't, and we won't until next season when and if JVR leaves.

Keep him down until there is room
I would argue if we get rid of the guys on the fringe, you could roll a good 4th line with Johnsson-Komarov-Brown, and move Kappy up the line up. I think we have to give Leo a try in the 4C slot, before they go and spend assets on one.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
It is getting to the point where it is tough to justify him staying down with the Marlies any longer. He is in a very similar situation to Kapanen, where he seems to have outgrown the AHL and has the offensive and defensive tools to play in the NHL.

It is obvious that we are going to have to make some sort of moves to thin out the log jam of: Martin, Soshnikov, Leivo and Moore. Hopefully the moves are enough to create an opportunity for Johnsson to get a shot this season. I am not sure why we haven't explored using Komarov as the 4C, which could allow for Johnsson to slot in at LW on that line, if we move out some bodies.
Uncle Leo doesn't like playing C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad