Andreas Athanasiou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I read a few days ago that a "number of offers" had been made.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I mean there's no way we just "let him go", obviously they're apart on his wage, I'd assume AA is closer to 2.5 and KH 1.5.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wasn't there talk about leaving him unsigned till after the roster deadline has passed and we can LTIR Franzen again?

I think one of Khan or James mentioned it in an article, but I always thought that was too nuts to consider. I mean, at that point he's missed all of training camp, right? At that point we're just asking him to come in, do a conditioning stint in GR, and then tear a groin.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Wasn't there talk about leaving him unsigned till after the roster deadline has passed and we can LTIR Franzen again?

I already thought that Franzen was LTIR, because of his status going into the Expansion Draft. All of those players were essentially LTIR'd/Retired. Maybe it hits the first day of training camp or something, but we still have a 10% overage until that point that we can play with. But we still have to drop/trade someone, even with Franzen's LTIR cap hit. Maybe AA is simply waiting for the best offer and waiting to see how serious Holland is in having him back. Because bringing up another prospect to replace AA would solve a cap issue. But not sure why we wouldn't trade one of our dead-weight folks away to make the cap work.

But hey...it's Holland in the final year of his deal. Which means anything dumb that can happen, could conceivably happen.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
It's Kenny old folks home Holland, he only has the time between 1230-115 to work on deals after lunch and before craft time! Of coarse he is low balling him, telling him to take a discount. He has over paid so many guys now he thinks the kids should pay him for letting them play.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah yeah, Holland this and Holland that. Must happen some REALLY BAD. Must! :rant:

Then he signs AA with a bargain price and everybody wonders. How come. :amazed:

AA will be signed, then some people will be waived and the season will start. Nothing to see in here.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I mean there's no rush (yet). It makes sense for both sides to try and squeeze every dollar they can out of the deal. Kid isn't going anywhere, if it comes to it we'll waive someone to get the cap space required.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
This is just a continuation of Holland and Blashill's nonsense toward certain players like AA and Mantha. It's stuff like this that really makes players want to come here. Watch the Penguins sign their guys and learn. Get a GM and coach for the future. Send Holland and Blabhill packing.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This is just a continuation of Holland and Blashill's nonsense toward certain players like AA and Mantha. It's stuff like this that really makes players want to come here. Watch the Penguins sign their guys and learn. Get a GM and coach for the future. Send Holland and Blabhill packing.

No. They're not even at training camp yet. There is literally no rush to sign a deal. If we are sitting here in the middle of September and nothing is done... then you can complain.

There is nothing to gain by the Wings signing AA to a 2-2.5M+ deal now just to have it done. Time helps one side or the other. The Wings know which side they are on and are acting accordingly.

They aren't treating Mantha and AA any worse than they've ever treated any other player. This isn't some hit job on some magical prospects. It is ****ing coaching of erstwhile players with a lot of talent. If AA or Mantha were Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby and they got rode like this... yeah, then there is a problem. But they're not. Both got about 30 points last year and had several games where they seemed disinterested in defense or team play.

I'm sick of people *****ing and moaning about how the Red Wings are being so mean to AA and Mantha, when it is what any damn responsible professional organization would do to players who underperform related to their skills.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
AA, even as talented as he is, is a one trick pony. No need to sign him at $2.5 million just because.

People love saying he's Helm with hands but Darren is a poop ton better in two of the three zones. If AA was Helm with hands he'd be getting $5 million, in a world where Helm is only a $2 million dollar player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
AA, even as talented as he is, is a one trick pony. No need to sign him at $2.5 million just because.

People love saying he's Helm with hands but Darren is a poop ton better in two of the three zones. If AA was Helm with hands he'd be getting $5 million, in a world where Helm is only a $2 million dollar player.

Hate to have that kind of one-trick-pony, which only trick is to score goals on 2nd best pace/60 in whole league behind Auston Matthews. :shakehead

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Hate to have that kind of one-trick-pony, which only trick is to score goals on 2nd best pace/60 in whole league behind Auston Matthews. :shakehead
To be clear, I hope nobody compares AA to Matthews. Let's be real.

AA is superb in the offensive zone but leaves a lot to be desired in the neutral zone and defensive zone. Like most of the Detroit Red Wings team.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm sick of people *****ing and moaning about how the Red Wings are being so mean to AA and Mantha, when it is what any damn responsible professional organization would do to players who underperform related to their skills.

I dunno how many other organizations would publicly blast their top prospect, repeatedly, in the media.

That said, this feels like nothing. I'll riot when KH trades AA for garbage because he'd rather play Helm, Nielsen and Abbie, but short of that, I have a hard time buying that this isn't just happening because of some cap shenanigans KH is trying to pull so that he doesn't have to address his own idiotic salary structure.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
No. They're not even at training camp yet. There is literally no rush to sign a deal. If we are sitting here in the middle of September and nothing is done... then you can complain.

There is nothing to gain by the Wings signing AA to a 2-2.5M+ deal now just to have it done. Time helps one side or the other. The Wings know which side they are on and are acting accordingly.

They aren't treating Mantha and AA any worse than they've ever treated any other player. This isn't some hit job on some magical prospects. It is ****ing coaching of erstwhile players with a lot of talent. If AA or Mantha were Connor McDavid or Sidney Crosby and they got rode like this... yeah, then there is a problem. But they're not. Both got about 30 points last year and had several games where they seemed disinterested in defense or team play.

There is nothing to gain, except avoiding the offer sheet, which is rare, but totally possible, under the circumstance.
Other GMs aren't stupid, they know Kenny is in a pickle.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I dunno how many other organizations would publicly blast their top prospect, repeatedly, in the media.

That said, this feels like nothing. I'll riot when KH trades AA for garbage because he'd rather play Helm, Nielsen and Abbie, but short of that, I have a hard time buying that this isn't just happening because of some cap shenanigans KH is trying to pull so that he doesn't have to address his own idiotic salary structure.

I am enjoying it, actually...
If he is being evaluated, as rumored, by Chris Ilitch, he is not making a good case for extension this off-season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
To be clear, I hope nobody compares AA to Matthews. Let's be real.

AA is superb in the offensive zone but leaves a lot to be desired in the neutral zone and defensive zone. Like most of the Detroit Red Wings team.

I did compare his goal-scoring pace (which is his TRICK). It's a proven fact from last 2-season data. 2nd best in NHL.

I didn't say that he is equal overall to Matthews.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
There is nothing to gain, except avoiding the offer sheet, which is rare, but totally possible, under the circumstance.

Other GMs are planning their own rosters. Teams aren't desperate to give a 2nd round pick and a 2-3M contract so they can "steal" Andreas Athanasiou. Anything below the 2nd round tender and the Wings match without a though.

How many rosters are out there that actually truly have a need for an all-offense, no defense forward who hasn't shown he can actually hold down top 6 minutes at all? How many teams have a free roster space + free cap space + a need for a middle 6 forward?

AA is a fine player, but he has enough warts on his game that no team in the NHL is running to throw 3M at him. Offer sheets are scary when you have an upper echelon player. Not one with fantastic rate stats that maybe he grows into with bigger minutes.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Going by Mantha's response to every time, I feel like that's how you prod him.

And in his rookie season, I'd be floored if he didn't agree with Jimmy D that it was very very disappointing. They thought he'd be fighting for the NHL and then he broke his leg and kinda lollygagged through a quarter of the season when he returned (which, I mean, he was recovering from a broken leg in training camp, so it's understandable).

I've never seen or read anything that Mantha has taken the coaching/"bashing" he's gotten in the media from executives has done anything but motivate him. Z calls him out for floating, he says "yeah, I was kinda floating, I need to get better about that."

People on here seem to be taking the criticism of Mantha WAY harder than Mantha himself is.

Never mind the fact that the Wings in the past have done much worse in the media/locker room to much better players than Anthony Mantha.

If he is being evaluated, as rumored, by Chris Ilitch, he is not making a good case for extension this off-season.

How so? He's done nothing fireable or even really that negative this offseason. This is, of course, assuming he gets something done with AA by the end of training camp and nothing else changes.

Signing Daley is a positive organization move. It's not a terrible contract (even if y'all think it is unnecessary). Witkowski is an irrelevant deal one way or the other.

Frankly, so far he's made no real impression one way or the other unless Illitch has seen something he doesn't like. The moves out in the media aren't enough to justify an extension nor are they enough to rescind an extension.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'm with TSweeney in that I don't think another team is going to try to swoop in and steal AA away. That said, I think what you gain by getting him signed is getting him into camp on time and being ready for the season.

$2m is probably a fair number depending on term, but I think it's clear Holland is now holding firm on something because of his cap numbers. If I'm AA, I signed for as much as I can get while still getting to camp on time...and then try to put up as big a numbers as possible to hold Holland to the fire next year and/or go to arbitration.

I think missing any of camp does AA more harm than that it harms the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->