Andre The Giant | He Was A God | HBO Teaser

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice, Andre had a very interesting life. In addition to the legendary drinking stories, my favourite Andre story is that when he was in school his neighbour was Samuel Beckett, who used to drive Andre to school in his pickup truck.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Best anecdote I ever heard was courtesy of The Brain.

Something along the lines of Andre asking for a screwdriver (drink) on a plane, and the stewardess brought him an actual screwdriver. Something you probably shouldn't give to a man of his size especially if he's drunk. :laugh:

Reactions: Dan Kelly

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know too much about his life other than he was beloved. I'll watch, but the teaser didn't do a great job of selling me on anything. Calling him a god as he walked to the ring doesn't sell me on a single thing. Poor teaser. Give me a reason to tune in.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The best bits with things like this, is that you get to listen to Meltzer on his show telling you about the stuff that they've left out or glossed over.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Best anecdote I ever heard was courtesy of The Brain.

Something along the lines of Andre asking for a screwdriver (drink) on a plane, and the stewardess brought him an actual screwdriver. Something you probably shouldn't give to a man of his size especially if he's drunk. :laugh:

I can't even imagine a screwdriver (the tool) being on a plane today. :laugh:

Reactions: Disclose

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
The best bits with things like this, is that you get to listen to Meltzer on his show telling you about the stuff that they've left out or glossed over.

is that the thing you have to pay, that you always advertize? (the newsleter thing)
i miss the LAW, i wish i had more access to meltzer talking. love his knowledge.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
is that the thing you have to pay, that you always advertize? (the newsleter thing)
i miss the LAW, i wish i had more access to meltzer talking. love his knowledge.
Yeah, his podcast is locked behind the paywall too. All the history why I keep paying him really, screw the current stuff I just want him to talk about the history of wrestling all the time.

Reactions: Disclose

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
anybody saw this?
realy good watch. obviously sad by the end as expected, but this is for more than just a wrestling fan.

beautiful.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I saw most of it. I got a kick over the Wrestlemania III spot. Am I supposed to believe that Hogan didn't know the finish until it happened?

Reactions: Pilky01

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Watched it last night.

Overall, I liked it. But -- I thought it would have flowed better with a moderator, jumping from interview to interview made it feel scattered from one subject to the next.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I saw most of it. I got a kick over the Wrestlemania III spot. Am I supposed to believe that Hogan didn't know the finish until it happened?

If I remember correctly, wasn't it more about Andre willing to go along with the finish than Hogan "not knowing"?

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i think hogan "wrote" the match from what we saw.
Vince and hogan werent too sure if he was gonna accept...

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Wasn’t Andre a real ******* if he didn’t like or respect you?

Yup and addressed in the HBO doc - Hogan straight up says Andre could be a dick to Randy Savage and The Iron Sheik (PS, Hogan does an amazing Savage impersonation) and would work both of them pretty stiff, bellow at them to get out of his dressing room (I'm assuming based on how Hogan described this Andre had his own room), and would refer to Savage as "Baby Oil" for the amount of the stuff he'd put on. Essentially it'd go something like:

Savage: "Hey, Andre, big brother, what're we going to do out in the ring there?"
Andre: "NO BABY OIL! GET OUT!!!!"

There've been other interviews with Kamala and Bad News Brown where they've described Andre as being casually racist, as well.

If I remember correctly, wasn't it more about Andre willing to go along with the finish than Hogan "not knowing"?

i think hogan "wrote" the match from what we saw.
Vince and hogan werent too sure if he was gonna accept...

Correct and correct. The concern was that Andre would go into business for himself there.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The problem with the idea of Andre going into business for himself is that he wouldn't. He was basically retiring at this point, with 'Mania probably being his last match. He had already lost to Canek in Mexcio and and Inoki in Japan, so it's not like he was against it or anything.

And it's not like Andre could really shoot on anyone at this point either. He already go shown up by Maeda in Japan, and he wasn't and younger or in better shape at this point.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
they could have brought that up. but i understand it was more of his american carreer.

but im pretty sure the canek lost was way before wrestlemania even existed.
so maybe he still had a little bit left in the tank.

not sure about antonio inoki's dates, but that was probably even farther away.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah, both matches were a little while before the 'Mania in question. It was just examples of him losing to the top guys already, showing he wasn't one to refuse to do so. Didn't mean to imply that he was doing a retirement loss tour.

For dates, the Inonki loss would be 1985, with Canek being 1984.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The problem with the idea of Andre going into business for himself is that he wouldn't. He was basically retiring at this point, with 'Mania probably being his last match. He had already lost to Canek in Mexcio and and Inoki in Japan, so it's not like he was against it or anything.

And it's not like Andre could really shoot on anyone at this point either. He already go shown up by Maeda in Japan, and he wasn't and younger or in better shape at this point.

That isn't represented in the documentary and I don't think there was belief Wrestlemania III was going to be Andre's last match. The next two years alone he had over 320 WWF dates working programs with Jake Roberts, Big John Studd, Jim Duggan, and Ultimate Warrior.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
At the time there was thought that is was his last match, especially given the poor shape he was in health wise. And while he did come back, he was still gone until the end of the year.

I'm going by Meltzer's notes on the show on things they skipped or ignored.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
he lasted a little longer, but people and him knew he was done.
theres a recent interview with Bruce Prichard saying they discussed Andre winning the 1991 Royal rumble, but even at #30 would have been too rough, because of his health. they removed him completely from the match.
he did return for that years wrestlemania 7 and that would be his last wwf (televised?) match .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad