Andre Benoit- Our next Carkner?

General Granny*

Not the same playing style of course but how both players had to grind it out in the minors, Carkner was around 28/29 years old when he played for Ottawa and with the Cowen out it provides an oppertunity for Benoit, especially with Kuba leaving we don't have much of puck movers outside of Karlsson and Gonchar.

He is 2nd in scoring and one of the main reasons for Bingo's Calder run 2 seasons ago. He has only been given 8 NHL games so far and that was all with the Sens in 2010, he did fine and had an assist, I could see him doing well with Philips on the 3rd pairing, he is undersize as a dman but at 5'11 his style reminds me a lot of Dan Boyle,a very light light Boyle, both identical sizes, both went undrafted and had to grind it out at the AHL a bit.

Berserker*

Possible but unlikely. Our lack of defensive depth helped Carkner make the team in the first place. Benoit will have to compete with Wiercioch, Gryba, Borowiecki and Sdao for the open spots on defence next season. He could beat a few of those guys out, but it will be difficult.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Not the same playing style of course but how both players had to grind it out in the minors, Carkner was around 28/29 years old when he played for Ottawa and with the Cowen out it provides an oppertunity for Benoit, especially with Kuba leaving we don't have much of puck movers outside of Karlsson and Gonchar.

He is 2nd in scoring and one of the main reasons for Bingo's Calder run 2 seasons ago. He has only been given 8 NHL games so far and that was all with the Sens in 2010, he did fine and had an assist, I could see him doing well with Philips on the 3rd pairing, he is undersize as a dman but at 5'11 his style reminds me a lot of Dan Boyle,a very light light Boyle, both identical sizes, both went undrafted and had to grind it out at the AHL a bit.

If the season ever starts he'll get a chance. Then we'll see.

Carkner also got his job because he was a top 3 in the league in punching players faces in, but I get your point.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I was gonna come in and say no, Carks was 6'5 and a wrecking ball...

But nah, I honestly think Benoit should go straight in to #3, IDGAF about Wiercioch and co.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
An interesting pt brought up by a BSens fan is that the Sens might not want to risk losing Benoit by calling him up when Boro, Wiercioch and Gryba all look ready for an audition and Benoit is the only one who would have to pass through waivers. Makes me think that at least two of those guys will get a chance to play first but maybe the Sens feel comfortable that no one will take him... next year, I figure we will sign someone unless he really proves he can be a top 4/5 dman.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
An interesting pt brought up by a BSens fan is that the Sens might not want to risk losing Benoit by calling him up when Boro, Wiercioch and Gryba all look ready for an audition and Benoit is the only one who would have to pass through waivers. Makes me think that at least two of those guys will get a chance to play first but maybe the Sens feel comfortable that no one will take him... next year, I figure we will sign someone unless he really proves he can be a top 4/5 dman.

Wonder who you were talking about!

Not only that, Benoit is the captain, very vocal down on the farm here teaching the proper work ethic to these blue chippers. I'm a big fan of having a veteran guy like that on your farm club that is willing to accept that role. It certainly looks like Benoit is comfortable in his own skin if you will. Otherwise I doubt he would have came back to Bingo.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Wonder who you were talking about!
Not only that, Benoit is the captain, very vocal down on the farm here teaching the proper work ethic to these blue chippers. I'm a big fan of having a veteran guy like that on your farm club that is willing to accept that role. It certainly looks like Benoit is comfortable in his own skin if you will. Otherwise I doubt he would have came back to Bingo.

I'm sure there's lots of positives about him playing in Bingo but he obviously would prefer to play in the NHL, so if they feel like he's the best option they should give him a chance. They owe it to him to try it.

Would love to see him up, but waivers play a factor there.

Seems like the new CBA will not have re-entry waivers, neither side wants them. Time will tell but waivers probably won't play a factor. Plus if you keep him up from the beggining there's no waivers at all to deal with.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Nobody is taking Andre Benoit off waivers. Give him a chance to fulfill his dream.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I'm just thrilled Benny has returned to Bingo to raise his family here and be successful on and off the ice..he'll get his chance when the timing is right

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Keep Benoit in Binghamton. As nice as it is to turn minor leaguers into NHLers, we've got a glut of up and comers itching for a shot at the NHL. The organization is best suited with a veteran like Benoit in Binghamton to mentor the kids, while opening up a spot in the NHL for those kids to get call-up opportunities, to reward them for hard work.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Keep Benoit in Binghamton. As nice as it is to turn minor leaguers into NHLers, we've got a glut of up and comers itching for a shot at the NHL. The organization is best suited with a veteran like Benoit in Binghamton to mentor the kids, while opening up a spot in the NHL for those kids to get call-up opportunities, to reward them for hard work.

But, do you agree w/ this, hypothetical first injury call-up is benny..

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd love to see Benoit get an honest chance. He's an amazing guy off the ice, and one hell of a hard working guy.

Also, his daughter is just about the cutest thing ever. When Benoit was playing NHL games with the We'll-Play-You-If-You're-Healthy-And Maybe-Even-If-You're-Not "Corey Clouston Farewell Tour" a few years ago, Benoit's wife & daughter were at every game, and his little girl would run around the concourses all game wearing a youth-sized Benoit jersey (unfortunately it was a SNES 3rd jersey, but you can;t fault her for that). She was just in awe that her daddy was finally in the NHL. I mean, she was in Finland the year before, the look on her face was one that'll never leave me.

I know some people here want him to get a shot for purely hockey reasons, but Andre is one of those guys that after you've met him and the family, you can't help but root for him because he's just the kind of guy who you want to see succeed because you believe good things happen to good people.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
i'd love to see benoit get an honest chance. He's an amazing guy off the ice, and one hell of a hard working guy.

Also, his daughter is just about the cutest thing ever. When benoit was playing nhl games with the we'll-play-you-if-you're-healthy-and maybe-even-if-you're-not "corey clouston farewell tour" a few years ago, benoit's wife & daughter were at every game, and his little girl would run around the concourses all game wearing a youth-sized benoit jersey (unfortunately it was a snes 3rd jersey, but you can;t fault her for that). She was just in awe that her daddy was finally in the nhl. I mean, she was in finland the year before, the look on her face was one that'll never leave me.

I know some people here want him to get a shot for purely hockey reasons, but andre is one of those guys that after you've met him and the family, you can't help but root for him because he's just the kind of guy who you want to see succeed because you believe good things happen to good people.

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
I thought he played rather well when he had his shot last time. Pair him with Karlsson so he'll never have to leave the offensive zone.

Benoit - Karlsson
Methot - Gonchar
Phillips - Lundin

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

208x228_HNNNNNNGGG-SUCH-A-FUNNY-JO--HNNG.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad