Prospect Info: Andersson, Chytil, Pionk, Shestyorkin named to WC rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Plenty of smart strong NHL center icemen get by without being speed skaters. We've had several very recently.

And since no one is expecting Andersson to be McDavid, he should be just fine.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Plenty of smart strong NHL center icemen get by without being speed skaters. We've had several very recently.

And since no one is expecting Andersson to be McDavid, he should be just fine.

And if your game is based on anticipation rather than reaction, you don't need that speed to play the game.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Invisible isn't good. I'd prefer "Consistently seen doing all the little things that won't end up on a scoresheet". Hopefully the writer didn't know how to look for stuff like that and it's not a matter of Lias never doing them

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Invisible isn't good. I'd prefer "Consistently seen doing all the little things that won't end up on a scoresheet". Hopefully the writer didn't know how to look for stuff like that and it's not a matter of Lias never doing them
Lias is pretty much always doing the little things. Don't think we need to worry about that.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
According to the Swedish reporter covering the game Lias was invisible, but that doesn't come as a surprised since he isn't an established star yet and only have played seven games for Toronto Maple Leafs. ;) (obs they have changed TML to NYR now in the online version)
Dear god, I know swedish hockey reporting is bad but who the hell would say he’s invisible? Nyström is the only one I could possibly even imagine being that dense.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Honestly with lias lacking foot speed I think his eventual position will be on the wing. He seems like he could be a good fit for 2 elite level players...he thinks the game really well and reads other players perfectly. I don't think he will be a center long term. .it's tough with the game as fast as it is.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Honestly with lias lacking foot speed I think his eventual position will be on the wing. He seems like he could be a good fit for 2 elite level players...he thinks the game really well and reads other players perfectly. I don't think he will be a center long term. .it's tough with the game as fast as it is.
FWIW, I believe he was RW today. Not sure about the first exhibition game.

Reactions: Inferno

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
FWIW, I believe he was RW today. Not sure about the first exhibition game.

Yeah, I believe Händemark centered his line, only saw the 3rd and Lias took some FOs so I am not 100% but that is my guess too.

BTW the ‘didn’t make much noise’ comment was from the first game, he was certainly very visible in this one.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yeah, I believe Händemark centered his line, only saw the 3rd and Lias took some FOs so I am not 100% but that is my guess too.

BTW the ‘didn’t make much noise’ comment was from the first game, he was certainly very visible in this one.

Seems pretty quiet and invisible to me...

No idea what that writer was talking about. :shakehead

Reactions: Ola

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't think Andersson is really slow. He's more like around the average for an NHL player today. You'd want him to pick up another step or so because the game is going to probably get even faster....but that extra step or so should be within his reach. There is a lot to like about his game---particularly his play away from the puck and his sneaky ability to find seams in opposition defenses. He's a buzzsaw working the walls and corners and his hockey IQ--his ability to read game situations is a lot better than most. He's also got a leader or Alpha mentality and the Rangers can use more guys like that.

Reactions: Rongomania

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think Andersson is really slow. He's more like around the average for an NHL player today. You'd want him to pick up another step or so because the game is going to probably get even faster....but that extra step or so should be within his reach. There is a lot to like about his game---particularly his play away from the puck and his sneaky ability to find seams in opposition defenses. He's a buzzsaw working the walls and corners and his hockey IQ--his ability to read game situations is a lot better than most. He's also got a leader or Alpha mentality and the Rangers can use more guys like that.

Agreed. He has a lot of qualities we don't see in other players. He has a long way to go, because he is still 19 and can work on his discipline and skating.

There's a lot to like about his game. The fact that he has 4 points in his first 2 games for his senior national team is a great sign. Add that to his overall play and you could definitely see why he was a top-10 pick.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is highlights from Niklas Andersson, when he was 37-41 y/o, boy he could skate. Nik is Lias dad who played for the Islanders and Frolunda in the SHL. Was a real speedster in he NHL/AHL in his prime. He definitely reminds some of Lias in how he plays and his stride when skating. Does Lias have the same potential? Slim down a little, Lias is 5’11 200 lbs, redistribute he weight a little better, more legs and torso while lowering body fat. Improve technical aspects a little.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This is highlights from Niklas Andersson, when he was 37-41 y/o, boy he could skate. Nik is Lias dad who played for the Islanders and Frolunda in the SHL. Was a real speedster in he NHL/AHL in his prime. He definitely reminds some of Lias in how he plays and his stride when skating. Does Lias have the same potential?

I think Lias' issue is mostly technique and I've seen players change technique and improve for years. It's not something that he can't change.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Because bad skating is not the same as slow skating.
He's got good balance seems to have a real strong base. .don't really see the lateral movement, tight turns or high end speed most top line players have. With all that said...derek stepan doesn't either...and he had himself a heck of a nyr career.

It's an obstacle...not one that you can't overcome with other assets.

He's a real good player... I could easily see him becoming the renberg to a lindros and leclair duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad