Confirmed with Link: Anderson will be signed to retire a Sen

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ring of Honor for sure for Anderson.

Could see guys like Stone, Hossa, Chara joining it some day if they are interested.

It's tempting to retire Karlsson's number. He was such a big deal here.
That shouldn't even be a question should it?

Best player in franchise history. Captain. Hardware to match including the only 3 time Norris winner since Lidstrom. Decent tenure with the team. An "almost was" run like Alfie, Phillips and Neil.

Then you might be looking at someone like Turris.

I'm not really sure myself where the line is for the Ring of Honor.
I agree. That's too far.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That shouldn't even be a question should it?

Best player in franchise history. Captain. Hardware to match including the only 3 time Norris winner since Lidstrom. Decent tenure with the team. An "almost was" run like Alfie, Phillips and Neil.

Every other guy who has a retired number played (essentially) his entire tenure with the team.

Is Karlsson the only medium-tenured guy worth retiring? Probably.

His number also isn't very common. ;)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Every other guy who has a retired number played (essentially) his entire tenure with the team.

For sure, but I think most would agree that Phillips and Neil were players with no business getting their numbers retired IF they didn't have that tenure. That was basically their ticket in. Good, beloved players no doubt, but not the kind that would ever be retired by an organization without that. And they were compensated extremely well to stay that last while in contrast to performance, whereas we got off Karlsson cuz of the price tag and term.

I think Karlsson's peak, hardware, and role are enough to make up for the tenure.

And good point, it's not like retiring 65 is gonna matter much lol, it's just more history for the team to lean in to.

Granted, that was also the most affected by Melnyk period this team had, so maybe we just want to forget the Karlsson period altogether lol.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023

Or, when he's ready to retire, they sign him to a one day contract, then retire his number (like they did with Alfie).

Reactions: NyQuil

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
craig-anderson-2004-35.jpg

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
You love to see this. Most iconic Senators goaltender. He had some amazing highs with us. Hasek will always be the best goalie to play for the Senators, but for the foreseeable future Anderson will be the greatest. Andy! Andy! Andy! Andy! Andy!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Playing during his wife's cancer situation was pretty special too. Memory is fuzzy, but I recall some big energy and him playing well. Talbot came down to applaud for the 3 star announcement in the Edmonton game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad