Confirmed with Link: Andersen fined for diving/embellishment

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Sure why not. At this point have to laugh at the league's issue with the Leafs. Out of all the nonsense you see with diving in the NHL and this is what that warrants a fine?

Oh well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It did look like an embellishment at the time. particularly after they showed Freddy holding the players stick to provoke it.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
LOL, no. I'm just not into conspiracy theories. So if you believe this theory I ask again, why be a fan?

what does fandom has to do with conspiracy theories? are you suggesting that one should only be a fan when team is winning? otherwise be a fan of another winning team?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
That’s a pretty weak call, I feel like I see guys flopping harder than that almost every single game.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's a dive, but some consistency would be nice. Like, if this is the standard, Quick and Mike Smith should be getting fined after every other game.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Andersen does indeed dive from time to time. He's had some obvious ones go unnoticed by the NHL in the past. Maybe he got warnings for them and then this was proverbial third or fifth strike? Even then... from that camera angle, it looks as if the Vegas player could have clipped his left skate.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it does beg some questions. (1) The fine is being handed out a day after Mike Babcock ripped the officials for missing a blatant goaltender interference penalty against Tampa. (2) We've seen plenty of dives from other teams. In goal, Jonathan Quick and Mike Smith are so polished at it, they could join an Olympic diving team... and medal. I've seen Carey Price do it. I've seen Henrik Lundqvist do it. So why is Andersen the odd man out here and does it have anything do to with #1? And while he's not a goalie, Blake Comeau took a huge flop in the dying seconds of our game against Colorado. If the ref buys what he's selling, Colorado is on the PP to start OT. That's not worthy of a fine?

I'm not going to go down the conspiratorial route, because it looks silly, but some in this fan base are, and you know what? I can't fault them for it. Because the officiating has not been kind to us this year (29th in the NHL in PP opportunities, 15 below the league average) and this fine, meaningless as it is, seems to be pretty arbitrary.

EDIT: Hilariously, this is also the first time this season a player has been fined for diving/embellishment.

Last edited:

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
what does fandom has to do with conspiracy theories? are you suggesting that one should only be a fan when team is winning? otherwise be a fan of another winning team?
Well you seem to believe the NHL is out to get the Leafs. I just don't get why you would root for a team that is destined to lose. Seems odd.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Well you seem to believe the NHL is out to get the Leafs. I just don't get why you would root for a team that is destined to lose. Seems odd.

That is why I posed the question; that should one only root for the team when the team wins?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Andersen does indeed dive from time to time. He's had some obvious ones go unnoticed by the NHL in the past. Maybe he got warnings for them and then this was proverbial third or fifth strike? Even then... from that camera angle, it looks as if the Vegas player could have clipped his left skate.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it does beg some questions. (1) The fine is being handed out a day after Mike Babcock ripped the officials for missing a blatant goaltender interference penalty against Tampa. (2) We've seen plenty of dives from other teams. In goal, Jonathan Quick and Mike Smith are so polished at it, they could join an Olympic diving team... and medal. I've seen Carey Price do it. I've seen Henrik Lundqvist do it. So why is Andersen the odd man out here and does it have anything do to with #1? And while he's not a goalie, Blake Comeau took a huge flop in the dying seconds of our game against Colorado. If the ref buys what he's selling, Colorado is on the PP to start OT. That's not worthy of a fine?

I'm not going to go down the conspiratorial route, because it looks silly, but some in this fan base are, and you know what? I can't fault them for it. Because the officiating has not been kind to us this year (29th in the NHL in PP opportunities, 15 below the league average) and this fine, meaningless as it is, seems to be pretty arbitrary.

EDIT: Hilariously, this is also the first time this season a player has been fined for diving/embellishment.

2nd incident, 1st is a warning.

Diving (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

member 262271

Oh what a surprise, the joke league does something totally inconsistent again.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Carey Price is so good at it, they praise him for it on HNIC.

Reactions: htpwn

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
In the NBA the hottest markets like LA get the better of calls.
In the MLB largest markets in NY Yankees get the better decisions.
I'm sure in soccer its the same.
I dont know NFL but i'm sure Patriots or whoever get the better calls.

Only in the NHL, the hottest market in Toronto, where the NHL War Room is located, and the largest fanbase of hockey, also residing in the most populous metropolis in Canada, aka the Hockey Country - gets the BLANTANT shaft by the officials. LMFAO

Is the league made up of anti-Toronto prairie folk/East coast Island fisherman from nowhereville who just detest this city?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad