Kings News: And your new head coach is...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This certainly is refreshing to read.

http://mayorsmanor.com/2017/04/rob-blake-on-how-and-why-john-stevens-was-promoted/

On if they need to get away from the ‘heavy’ game the team has become known for:

“To a point. The philosophy that the team has been built on the defensive side, like I’ve said, over and over, will stay in tact. Brodzinski is a little different player than Dwight King. Adrian Kempe is a different player than Jarret Stoll. In that aspect, yes, there are different changes. You have to be able to adapt or adjust to the players that you have available.”

Adapt and adjust, two things we saw that this team was incapable of doing under Sutter over the past three seasons.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
http://mayorsmanor.com/2017/04/blake-on-whats-ahead-for-kopitar-gaborik-lombardi-iginla/

“I don’t know, there are issues with everybody’s contracts. I’m probably one to speak. [Laughter]. I think you know, with what Pat [Brisson], Luc [Robitaille] and I experienced through Anze [Kopitar’s negotiations] too, there’s a familiarity of what limits are – you know, ‘Hey listen, let’s get down and other stuff out and get this deal done.’ So yeah, Toffoli [Tyler] and Pearson [Tanner] they’re priorities right away here to get done.”

There were limits? Wow, you could have fooled me. I guess maybe conditions might be a better term. Kings management perhaps insisted on some lubricant before signing the deal.

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
It's all talk, right now.

Only results on the ice matter.

True, but this interview gives me a sense that Blake and Stevens have discussed how to address what we've all been saying around here: that they can't score goals by playing sticky ass with boards, and lofting hopeful shots towards the net in hopes something good happens.

"...but where are our shots in the offensive zone coming from, how are we generating shots off the rush."

... we've been saying this for seasons now.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's all talk, right now.

Only results on the ice matter.

Yes, and it's not up to Stevens or Blake. These guys are either worth the money they are getting or they aren't.

Sadly, Dean Lombardi has set Stevens and Blake up for failure by rewarding players for past achievements.

I think we have to give Blake some time to recognize and realize he has to tear it down to the foundation and begin again. Problem is assets which in the past would have value don't because of the contracts that come with them.

Assets the Kings have with value: Carter, Muzzin, Martinez, Doughty, Toffoli, and Pearson.

If the Kings go into a rebuild there is a lot to be said for moving almost all of these players. I know people will say there are no guarantees with a rebuild. I can almost be certain though the current roster is not going to win a Stanley Cup.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Yes, and it's not up to Stevens or Blake. These guys are either worth the money they are getting or they aren't.

Sadly, Dean Lombardi has set Stevens and Blake up for failure by rewarding players for past achievements.

I think we have to give Blake some time to recognize and realize he has to tear it down to the foundation and begin again. Problem is assets which in the past would have value don't because of the contracts that come with them.

Assets the Kings have with value: Carter, Muzzin, Martinez, Doughty, Toffoli, and Pearson.

If the Kings go into a rebuild there is a lot to be said for moving almost all of these players. I know people will say there are no guarantees with a rebuild. I can almost be certain though the current roster is not going to win a Stanley Cup.

Pretty clear from the last week's press conferences that the Kings will not be undergoing a rebuild now. Not sure where you're getting this from. Maybe if they miss the playoffs again in 2018, but right now no one is talking about a rebuild.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Pretty clear from the last week's press conferences that the Kings will not be undergoing a rebuild now. Not sure where you're getting this from. Maybe if they miss the playoffs again in 2018, but right now no one is talking about a rebuild.

I know they aren't planning on doing a rebuild now. As I said, I am willing to give Blake some time to figure it out.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

Not to be too much of a stickler here, but that's exactly why any player ever gets a raise of any kind in new contracts. No one gets a new contract with a raise and such for potential. They get them for what they've actually done. At the time, Gaborik had been a Conn Smythe worthy candidate on a championship team. Now, I think we gave him too many years, but let's not pretend a contract for him was out of the blue.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Not to be too much of a stickler here, but that's exactly why any player ever gets a raise of any kind in new contracts. No one gets a new contract with a raise and such for potential. They get them for what they've actually done. At the time, Gaborik had been a Conn Smythe worthy candidate on a championship team. Now, I think we gave him too many years, but let's not pretend a contract for him was out of the blue.

Yeah, welcome to professional sports.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Not to be a stickler, but Kopitar's 2nd contract was based mostly on potential. His two-way game hadn't developed much yet when the 2nd contract came along.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Not to be a stickler, but Kopitar's 2nd contract was based mostly on potential. His two-way game hadn't developed much yet when the 2nd contract came along.

He had 204 points in 236 games played by that time. He was certainly not the defensive wizard that he is now, but I think by that point he had earned that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad