Marlies Discussion: AND Prospects Thread: 2014/15 Season V.7 - Marlies Pushing for the Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
@Hope_Smoke: Frölunda played their first playoff game today. Andreas Johnson played 16:47, had 1G, 1A & 4 shots on goal.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
@Hope_Smoke: Frölunda played their first playoff game today. Andreas Johnson played 16:47, had 1G, 1A & 4 shots on goal.

Apparently he will come over next year to play with the Marlies even though he has a year left on his contract with Frolunda. We could use that scoring down there. Could slot well in the top 6 if Ryan Rupert doesn't fit there next year, or on the 3rd line if Rupert does. Plenty of good guys for next year as it is, and we have yet to even bring in external guys.

JVR-Kadri-???
Leivo-Holland-Panik
Komarov-???-Kozun
???-Carrick-Frattin

Rielly-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Erixon-MacWilliam

Bernier-Gibson

Rupert-Nylander-Brown
Leipsic-McKegg-???
Johnson-Verhaeghe-Biggs
???-Gauthier-Bodie

Percy-Granberg
Loov-Nilsson
Brennan-Knodel
Finn/Valiev

Bibeau-Sparks

5 open spots on forward, plus depth. That's all the spots open for prospects and cap dumps we bring in.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Apparently he will come over next year to play with the Marlies even though he has a year left on his contract with Frolunda. We could use that scoring down there. Could slot well in the top 6 if Ryan Rupert doesn't fit there next year, or on the 3rd line if Rupert does. Plenty of good guys for next year as it is, and we have yet to even bring in external guys.

JVR-Kadri-???
Leivo-Holland-Panik
Komarov-???-Kozun
???-Carrick-Frattin

Rielly-Polak
Gardiner-Robidas
Erixon-MacWilliam

Bernier-Gibson

Rupert-Nylander-Brown
Leipsic-McKegg-???
Johnson-Verhaeghe-Biggs
???-Gauthier-Bodie

Percy-Granberg
Loov-Nilsson
Brennan-Knodel
Finn/Valiev

Bibeau-Sparks

5 open spots on forward, plus depth. That's all the spots open for prospects and cap dumps we bring in.

Interesting lineups for both teams.

I do think that there will be a lot of turnover as well.

I pictured that they move on from Kozun, McKegg, and Brennan though. But we have similar lineups from the one I made.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Speculation as far as I know, just hopeful

Okay, that would be a boost for the team.

I also wonder what they do with Herzog. I know they moved him to Switzerland and is likely to spend another year there, but they've convinced others to make the move over before.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Interesting lineups for both teams.

I do think that there will be a lot of turnover as well.

I pictured that they move on from Kozun, McKegg, and Brennan though. But we have similar lineups from the one I made.

Brennan maybe since we have so much depth at defense. Valiev and Finn would find themselves in the ECHL next year barring any sort of movement in the defensive corps. McKegg has value; we'd trade him before just letting him go. It is very possible he is traded though, if that's what you mean by "moving on". Kozun will likely be kept since he could be quite valuable in the bottom 6 for us next year, and he too has some value.

We already have some internal guys whom could function as the base for the one-year deal pool in Frattin, MacWilliam, Erixon and Kozun (so I see us marketing him next year). They aren't at the same level by any means, but they are all solid guys that easily could be flipped for a decent price at the deadline if they have a decent season, and we will likely bring in the more valuable guys like the Winnik's and Santorelli's later in the season. They all have dirt cheap contracts in place too, which is a good thing for value at the deadline (most expensive will likely be Frattin and his 800k contract). I'm excited to see what we do. Preferably, we get the best deals we can get for as many players we don't need as possible, both on the roster and in the pool. We don't have too many guys on the roster whom can feel close to 100% safe, and pretty much any prospect the new regime doesn't like should be available. I want to see a purge, and a completely new team, built upon smart trading to get high returns for our valuable players and strategic drafting, which is why I'm trying to scout out 150 diamonds in the rough (aka expected to go 3rd round or later) for discussion leading up to the draft.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Okay, that would be a boost for the team.

I also wonder what they do with Herzog. I know they moved him to Switzerland and is likely to spend another year there, but they've convinced others to make the move over before.

I honestly don't have much faith in Herzog. So many holes in his game. Rather use him in a trade as a sweetener if someone was interested

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I honestly don't have much faith in Herzog. So many holes in his game. Rather use him in a trade as a sweetener if someone was interested

Well he is 19 turning 20 and playing in the Swiss top league and does have 6 goals with garbage minutes. He's still raw and all, but he has proven things too (he went PPG in the Q as a 18/19 year old last year). I have faith that he can be a really good 3rd line checking forward like McKegg in the future if nothing more.

19 year old's whom are drafted in the 5th round will have holes, but he has been impressive, and he could be a good sweetner in a deal. I see him being that. They act like a pick in a sense because they don't have a contract right now (and don't count against the contract cap). We don't need anymore bottom line guys, which is why I see guys like Cameranesi, Herzog, McKegg, Devane, Biggs (but only after the first 4 since he is still seen as a project), etc. being traded as good sweetners as a deal. I really want to see this pool get gutted a little bit too before the draft.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
rather lose devane and biggs. big guys with low skill are worse than small guys who are fast. camenasari may be the faster prospect in the system. maybe he could be a lesser mike gartner. mctregg still has trade value as well. besides we are writing off mclaren and orr.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
rather lose devane and biggs. big guys with low skill are worse than small guys who are fast. camenasari may be the faster prospect in the system. maybe he could be a lesser mike gartner. mctregg still has trade value as well. besides we are writing off mclaren and orr.

Who are these camenasari and mctregg? Sound like wildling tribes.

I think you hold on to Biggs and Devane. They're new age enforcers. Guys who can skate, maybe kill penalties, and drop the gloves if necessary. Biggs actually has the potential to be a quality 4th liner.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I think you hold on to Biggs and Devane. They're new age enforcers. Guys who can skate, maybe kill penalties, and drop the gloves if necessary. Biggs actually has the potential to be a quality 4th liner.

Devane is already at that point where he can be one. I think we keep Biggs. He still has the potential to be the quality 3rd line winger we drafted him to be. If not, he's definitely a good 4th line guy; could probably step in there next year if we wanted him to. Good 4th line guys aren't worth 1st round picks, but I have seen them be purposefully drafted in the 2-4 rounds and nobody thinks twice about the decision. People just need to get over whom Anaheim got. They could have just as easily busted.

McKegg and Cameranesi are both solid guys. Good 3rd line center/winger prospects with a chance to be 2nd line. Though when you have Gauthier, Verhaeghe, Holland, Toninato, Kadri, etc. all ahead of them on the depth chart right now, you have to consider moving them. They have good value; sell high. Same with Finn. Even through all the injuries he's had, you could probably still sell high on him. We kept him in the ECHL because we didn't want to rush him and some injuries. That doesn't hurt his value. He's struggling in the AHL because, well, the entire team hasn't been great for good stretches. He's also been injured once again. He's improved defensively, and he's still got the same offensive ability, except our team is the worst in the AHL when it comes to offense this year. That doesn't hurt his value. We will likely keep him another year, but we should consider putting him into the pool of guys we should consider moving.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Yea, I think that Biggs could actually make the jump next year to make the team.

Biggs won't get a ton of ice-tme, but he kills a lot of penalties with the Marlies, has dropped his gloves a couple times and has improved his skating a lot from last year and should only get better working with Underhill.

McKegg is in his 3rd full season with the Marlies. I think it's decision time with him. Either he's going to be in your plans going forward or you see hihm as a career AHLer.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Yea, I think that Biggs could actually make the jump next year to make the team.

Biggs won't get a ton of ice-tme, but he kills a lot of penalties with the Marlies, has dropped his gloves a couple times and has improved his skating a lot from last year and should only get better working with Underhill.

McKegg is in his 3rd full season with the Marlies. I think it's decision time with him. Either he's going to be in your plans going forward or you see hihm as a career AHLer.

I think McKegg has done fairly well (considering he has a leg for an arm, and an arm for a leg).

If we so desperately want to follow the Detroit model, then him being in the A for three years should not make it make or break time.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think McKegg has done fairly well (considering he has a leg for an arm, and an arm for a leg).

If we so desperately want to follow the Detroit model, then him being in the A for three years should not make it make or break time.

Well he shouldn't be let go for nothing. Not after three years. He should have at least another year or two before we consider that. However, I'm placing him on the list of prospects we should be using as trade chips:

Top 3
1) Frederik Gauthier/Carter Verhaeghe (if we need to use a prospect with serious value)
2) Matt Finn (lots of depth)
3) Greg McKegg (lots of depth)

The Rest
4) Tony Cameranesi (lots of depth)
5) Fabrice Herzog (lots of depth)
6) Andrew MacWilliam (NHL ready, but no spot with Granberg ready)
7) Eric Knodel (almost NHL ready, but likely no spot with Granberg ready)
8) Jamie Devane (we could or could not keep him; depends on the plans. NHL ready, but 4th liner only)
9) Max Everson (lots of depth, and while he doesn't have much value, he is a solid player)
10) Garret Sparks (lots of depth; could be a backup goalie sooner rather than later)
11) Tyler Biggs (only if a team specifically wants him and/or is willing to pair a decent price for him)

I did not include Ross or Marshall because they are likely to be let go (I'm including Marshall because he is an RFA). Rupert, Brennan and Kozun will likely be kept around a little while longer, but may be moved around next year.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Well he is 19 turning 20 and playing in the Swiss top league and does have 6 goals with garbage minutes. He's still raw and all, but he has proven things too (he went PPG in the Q as a 18/19 year old last year). I have faith that he can be a really good 3rd line checking forward like McKegg in the future if nothing more.

19 year old's whom are drafted in the 5th round will have holes, but he has been impressive, and he could be a good sweetner in a deal. I see him being that. They act like a pick in a sense because they don't have a contract right now (and don't count against the contract cap). We don't need anymore bottom line guys, which is why I see guys like Cameranesi, Herzog, McKegg, Devane, Biggs (but only after the first 4 since he is still seen as a project), etc. being traded as good sweetners as a deal. I really want to see this pool get gutted a little bit too before the draft.

Herzog is a 94 he's 20 already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->