Analytics From Home

Bucky96

Mar 2, 2015
I'm trying to get into analytics on a more regular basis and figured I could try tracking certain things when I attend local junior games or watch games on TV. Are there any specific things that are easier to start out with? If so, what tools are used?

Thanks.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
You have to start with a question "What am I trying to uncover/learn." and then track and tally that while watching the game.

The current mainstream published stats are just shot attempts that box scoreres manually record in the play by play.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
This is good advice - the best analytics start with "what problem am I trying to figure out?". Once you have that, it's easier to develop (1) what you need to track to figure it out, and (2) the passion necessary for doing the work.

To paraphrase, 80% of sports analytics is in data gathering, and 20% of sports analytics is in complaining about data gathering. :laugh:

Most of the metrics I've developed have stemmed from discussions here, where someone will say "so-and-so only has horrible numbers because he [doesn't get any support / only plays tough opponents", or "Goalie X is the most consistent goalie in the league" type things.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
This is good advice - the best analytics start with "what problem am I trying to figure out?". Once you have that, it's easier to develop (1) what you need to track to figure it out, and (2) the passion necessary for doing the work.

To paraphrase, 80% of sports analytics is in data gathering, and 20% of sports analytics is in complaining about data gathering. :laugh:

Most of the metrics I've developed have stemmed from discussions here, where someone will say "so-and-so only has horrible numbers because he [doesn't get any support / only plays tough opponents", or "Goalie X is the most consistent goalie in the league" type things.

You've seen my twitter recently, haven't you? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->