Anaheim San Jose , the battle of awful camera angles

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
The Sharks co-president confirmed that the current lighting system will be replaced in the offseason. I've never had an issue with the angle (I'm probably just used to it), but the lighting has always been off at the start of games when watching on tv.

Reactions: 68 Z-28

68 Z-28

Jul 10, 2007
Under the Tank
As others have said. It’s SJ’s lighting that’s terrible and I’m happy to know it’s being upgraded this off season. Always takes forever for those lights to come up to brightness following the intro/anthem.

I suspect they are still using the old halogen lights that just take a while to warm up and will be upgrading to LED’s.

In other arenas, do they dim the lights between periods or is it just camera tricks? I’ve only attended games in SJ and they keep em on full power the whole time and wondered about it when watching games televised from other barns. Always thought SJ didn’t dim the lights because it took too long to warm back up at the start of the next period.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Watched the great camera angle in the Jets game last night when they scored & the picture was all someone's hand & phone celebrating. Clearly better to watch people's heads & hands than the actually play on the ice.

That's the best way to watch the game.....the TV camera films the screen of a fan's smartphone....which is recording video of the fan seated in front of him......who is watching a live streaming feed of the game on his own cell phone.

It's part of NBC's new High-Inception TV......or perhaps, ∞DTV.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Love San Jose's camera angle. Can see plays develop so much easier. That's the biggest problem with watching on TV. You can't see things develop because the angles are too low and close.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
As others have said. It’s SJ’s lighting that’s terrible and I’m happy to know it’s being upgraded this off season. Always takes forever for those lights to come up to brightness following the intro/anthem.

I suspect they are still using the old halogen lights that just take a while to warm up and will be upgrading to LED’s.

In other arenas, do they dim the lights between periods or is it just camera tricks? I’ve only attended games in SJ and they keep em on full power the whole time and wondered about it when watching games televised from other barns. Always thought SJ didn’t dim the lights because it took too long to warm back up at the start of the next period.

Ducks just got the LED's over the off season. They are noticeably brighter when you first go to the game, it seemed really bright at first. From what I understand, they are much more energy efficient & do not warm up the ice like the others did.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
Love San Jose's camera angle. Can see plays develop so much easier. That's the biggest problem with watching on TV. You can't see things develop because the angles are too low and close.
That is what replays are for.... If the NHL wants fans and new fans, they gotta make sure people can see the action and feel it's exciting. Look how close NBA cameras are to the game.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
This thread sucks
the whole "I can see plays develop so much easier" is way too nerdy........ and who cares what players do off the puck.
I and most other fans wants to see the game action, great saves , and big hits, up close like in 25 arenas.... Anaheim and San Jose have problems, and their camera angles and thereby their product they sell to the TV audience sucks!

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
That is what replays are for.... If the NHL wants fans and new fans, they gotta make sure people can see the action and feel it's exciting. Look how close NBA cameras are to the game.

I don't want to see the play develop after it happens, I want to see the play develop as it happens. I can see the up close angles and shit through replay.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
If you have game tickets... where would you rather sit, near the playing surface or way up in the stands....... pretty sure 99% would choose the seats close to the ice ..... guess that is why prices are higher there

Last row of the lower bowl at center ice facing the benches. I’ve sat all over, and this is the perfect balance of getting the big picture of the play, and still feeling connected to the game. When I had season tickets to the Barracuda a couple of seasons ago that’s where all of the scouts sat. Considering they literally get paid to watch hockey games, and can sit anywhere they like at a Barracuda game, it seems like a pretty strong endorsement.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
I don't want to see the play develop after it happens, I want to see the play develop as it happens. I can see the up close angles and **** through replay.
the play develop ....okay, guess every goal and hit was planned 20 seconds in advance at the other end of the rink....... no random stuff ever happens in hockey, got it

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
Yeah, I want to see where the pass is going before it gets there. Not a player pass and then it being on someone's stick. I want to see the shit that's happening away from the puck, I want to see how players are setting up in their zone, where their defensemen are positioned and the options/lanes players have for both passes or skating. I want to see as much as I can. It's why my favorite seats are upper deck, center ice. I've sat lower bowl plenty of times, right up against the glass as well and those seats and views are a pain in the ass. I've sat all over the rink; for me, nothing beats center ice, upper deck.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Montreal's lighting is my favorite in the league and the sharks is similar. Kinda has a movie type feeling to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad