Anaheim draftee Jason Bailey leaves Michigan and signs with 67s

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
http://www.ottawa67s.com/home.asp

Any Michigan and/or Duck fans know what to expect from him? He was Ottawa's 2nd rd pick from the 2003 OHL draft and he was highly regarded at the time

Jason Bailey leaving Michigan. Boy, now THERE'S some earth-shattering news, like that was a real surprise. :rolleyes:

I hope he does well with the 67's. At least now, he can drop the mitts without the fear of getting a game DQ.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
I know looking back I never thought Bailey would go to the NCAA and he was just using it to get a good education package from the 67's and which it never happened

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
If I remember correctly, he was recruited by Michigan partly because of Andrew Cogliano name dropping him to the U-M coaches.

Bailey is your hard working, physical checking line forward, with so far this season zero offensive upside. Literally. He has zero points in 19 games. But he's also struggled a bit defensively, too, as he has a team low -11 rating. I guess I might compare him to another former Wolverine who left early... Mike Brown. Tough kid, physical game, limited offensive upside, and Brown, too, probably should have went the OHL route than college where his game would have been better suited.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Jason Bailey's sophmore stats so far this season:
19 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 28 penalty minutes.
+/-: +1 -12 = -11

His 14 penalties aren't exactly the smart kind of penalties, either: Charging-3, Cross Checking-2, Slashing-2, Holding-2, 1 each of "Charging the goalie," Elbowing, Contact to the Head/High Sticking, Hitting from Behind, Goaltender Interference.

Michigan's GF/GA in even strength situations--
With Bailey on the ice: Michigan 1, Opponents 11
With Bailey on the bench: Michigan 51, Opponents 28

Bailey did often match up against the opponents' top line, of course, but his usual line-mates, Lebler and Turnbull, are only -3 and -2, as opposed to Bailey's -11.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yep cause NCAA produces far supperior players :sarcasm:

I think that about 99.9% of the NCAA players are probably better than Jason ****ing Bailey. Dude was awful and straight up couldn't hack it in a league that you sarcastically comment on. I mean, Jed Ortmeyer outproduced Bailey. How sad is that? Don't knock the NCAA because we're knocking on your 15th tier prospect here.

Randall Graves*

I think that about 99.9% of the NCAA players are probably better than Jason ****ing Bailey. Dude was awful and straight up couldn't hack it in a league that you sarcastically comment on. I mean, Jed Ortmeyer outproduced Bailey. How sad is that? Don't knock the NCAA because we're knocking on your 15th tier prospect here.
Too bad my post had nothing to do with Bailey himself, He's making the NCAA sound supperior to the CHL when in terms of producing talent it's not.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Too bad my post had nothing to do with Bailey himself, He's making the NCAA sound supperior to the CHL when in terms of producing talent it's not.

He's right, though. He's leaving a league filled with older players and it's clearly obvious to anyone that he couldn't handle it. And now he's onto a league filled with younger players that he can play better against.

What was wrong with his post, even if it was clearly a bit sarcastic?

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
He's right, though. He's leaving a league filled with older players and it's clearly obvious to anyone that he couldn't handle it. And now he's onto a league filled with younger players that he can play better against.

No question that Bailey was not a prolific scorer in the NCAA, far from it but it is wrong to state that he could not handle the NCAA.

If he could not handle the NCAA would he have dressed in every game Michigan has thus far played? If he could not handle the NCAA why then would Red Berenson call him into his office and attempt to convince him to stay? If he could not handle the NCAA why are so many Michigan fans so p%ssed off that he bailed on them?

You are right that he never should have gone the college route as the style he plays is not really suited for that environment.

To suggest that the OHL is "easier" is also misleading as well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think that most Michigan fans are pissed that he bailed simply FOR the fact that he bailed. If someone left my team, even if they were some scrub, I'd be quite ticked also.

He had a bit of a role and he wasn't trully dreadful, but he's hardly some irreplacable part. I somehow wonder if Red attempted to convince him to stay solely for the educational purposes because I never saw anything in him that would warrant a coach begging him to stay because of his hockey skills. Though I will say he did have a lot of heart and at least tried. I don't think you could take that away from him.

I will say that the OHL is an easier league to play in if you're an older player. Size and maturity are huge factors there.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I think that most Michigan fans are pissed that he bailed simply FOR the fact that he bailed. If someone left my team, even if they were some scrub, I'd be quite ticked also.

He had a bit of a role and he wasn't trully dreadful, but he's hardly some irreplacable part. I somehow wonder if Red attempted to convince him to stay solely for the educational purposes because I never saw anything in him that would warrant a coach begging him to stay because of his hockey skills. Though I will say he did have a lot of heart and at least tried. I don't think you could take that away from him.

I will say that the OHL is an easier league to play in if you're an older player. Size and maturity are huge factors there.

If he were a scrub, it wouldn't matter if he left, heck fans would want him to leave. No, Bailey was much better than that and fans are upset because Michigan does not have a lot of depth right now and Bailey's departure will hurt.

Red could care less about the "educational concerns" because he was well aware of the fact that his education would be taken care of by the 67's. Red did not want to lose him, plain and simple.

CHL players are on average bigger than their NCAA counterparts, so size is out. Yes they are alot older but being older doesn't always mean better.

Yes I know that a player like Williams is doing quite well in Saginaw but in his case it was more of a matter of being mishandled at U.W. than anything else.

Its not like Montgomery or Bellows exactly are heating it up thus far and if you go back to Swysten you will notice that while he did have a good start, he has cooled considerably since then and is having trouble with the physical aspect of the dub.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad