Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NJD] Vatanen & conditional 3rd for Henrique, Blandisi & a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Don't you guys think that Vatanen might have a down year because of the offseason surgery and the fact that he most possibly missed a good portion of the summer training? I bet that the Devils knew that and they are thinking this trade in long term, not just this year.

Shoulder surgery is absolutely a factor. However, you're kind of ignoring that he was pretty bad for most of last year too. He's not been the same player since Bruce left. Maybe it's the system, maybe it's because he's playing in the top 4 now, and not on the bottom pair with Stoner, who knows. Supposedly he didn't take his off ice training seriously the offseason before this past one. I just know that he's been on somewhat of a decline the last 2 years. I think he'll be better next year though when his shoulder heals fully. Probably will be a better fit in NJ's system than Carlyle's too.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
"Henrique is going to put up a pt/game for like a week or two after this trade."

hmmmm

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
"Henrique is going to put up a pt/game for like a week or two after this trade."

hmmmm

But two weeks carries us over to when Getzlaf, Kesler, Silfverberg, and Lindholm should be back. Not saying he won't be needed when they get back, but if he's going to have a hot streak at any point, this is the time Anaheim needs it. I don't think anyone expects him to keep up ppg+ for the whole season, but if he's above 0.5 ppg the rest of the way and (hopefully) during playoffs, I think we'll be happy.

Karhuvaari

Dec 4, 2016
Shoulder surgery is absolutely a factor. However, you're kind of ignoring that he was pretty bad for most of last year too. He's not been the same player since Bruce left. Maybe it's the system, maybe it's because he's playing in the top 4 now, and not on the bottom pair with Stoner, who knows. Supposedly he didn't take his off ice training seriously the offseason before this past one. I just know that he's been on somewhat of a decline the last 2 years. I think he'll be better next year though when his shoulder heals fully. Probably will be a better fit in NJ's system than Carlyle's too.

I know that he didn't play that well but didn't they say that he played injured atleast in the playoffs?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I know that he didn't play that well but didn't they say that he played injured atleast in the playoffs?

yes, ironically his best part of last season was in the playoffs, despite his injury. He didn't have most of the injury issues last regular season though.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
So how many games do you guys wanna wait? 10, 20? the whole season? Still pretty bad and getting worse.

Meanwhile streaky Henrique is scoring up a storm. Looks like a pretty bad trade to me.

Reactions: PrinceSexyHenrik

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
So how many games do you guys wanna wait? 10, 20? the whole season? Still pretty bad and getting worse.

Meanwhile streaky Henrique is scoring up a storm. Looks like a pretty bad trade to me.
As a Ducks fan I am a bit sad about Vats so far. I had expected him to do better. I think he can still turn things around.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Say what you want about Henrique putting up points in Anaheim... he simply was not doing it here. 1 goal and -9 in 15 games before being traded. Last year we were all over him for his lack of motivation and his lack of consistency.

He's played less than 10 games in Anaheim... he will absolutely cool down and then you Ducks fans will be yelling at him for coasting for two weeks straight. It doesn't change the fact that the Devils got the defenseman they needed. Instead of putting Vats under a microscope... let's focus on the fact that both goalies are letting in easy goals, Andy Greene and Damon Severson are really good at passing to the other team, Lovejoy leads all Devils in icings in since he's been here by a wide margin, we can't win faceoffs, Wood has one goal since his hat trick last month, Zajac has one goal this season, Mojo and Palmieri can't stay healthy, Gibbons has stopped scoring, Stafford hasn't scored in a month or more....

Sure it's a coincidence that the Devils got their ass kicked twice over the weekend while Vatanen has been here... but there are so many other things going wrong for this team. Let's not forget they looked like one of the best teams in the league last Tuesday at Columbus before the disastrous weekend.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Say what you want about Henrique putting up points in Anaheim... he simply was not doing it here. 1 goal and -9 in 15 games before being traded. Last year we were all over him for his lack of motivation and his lack of consistency.

He's played less than 10 games in Anaheim... he will absolutely cool down and then you Ducks fans will be yelling at him for coasting for two weeks straight. It doesn't change the fact that the Devils got the defenseman they needed. Instead of putting Vats under a microscope... let's focus on the fact that both goalies are letting in easy goals, Andy Greene and Damon Severson are really good at passing to the other team, Lovejoy leads all Devils in icings in since he's been here by a wide margin, we can't win faceoffs, Wood has one goal since his hat trick last month, Zajac has one goal this season, Mojo and Palmieri can't stay healthy, Gibbons has stopped scoring, Stafford hasn't scored in a month or more....

Sure it's a coincidence that the Devils got their ass kicked twice over the weekend while Vatanen has been here... but there are so many other things going wrong for this team. Let's not forget they looked like one of the best teams in the league last Tuesday at Columbus before the disastrous weekend.

To be fair, it probably is a bigger adjustment period for defensemen than forwards after a trade. Add on to that Vats possibly having lingering effects from the injury, Devils have a whole extra year of Vatanen and so more time for him to rebound. I think he will be fine once he settles in and the coach figures out how to use him. Just watch video of him before Carlyle took over.

As for Henrique, he had his hot streak at the perfect time. Even if he cools off now, Getzlaf is (hopefully) back tonight, same with Silfverberg, and hopefully Kesler is back in the next couple of weeks. We needed him to produce big his first handful of games here (and he did), and hopefully others will be there to pick up the slack when he cools off. If he can catch fire again around playoffs, that would be awesome.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
To be fair, it probably is a bigger adjustment period for defensemen than forwards after a trade. Add on to that Vats possibly having lingering effects from the injury, Devils have a whole extra year of Vatanen and so more time for him to rebound. I think he will be fine once he settles in and the coach figures out how to use him. Just watch video of him before Carlyle took over.

As for Henrique, he had his hot streak at the perfect time. Even if he cools off now, Getzlaf is (hopefully) back tonight, same with Silfverberg, and hopefully Kesler is back in the next couple of weeks. We needed him to produce big his first handful of games here (and he did), and hopefully others will be there to pick up the slack when he cools off. If he can catch fire again around playoffs, that would be awesome.

Hopefully he stays hot for you guys. We could tell you he's clutch in the playoffs... but once you think about it, that was 5 years ago now. Who knows what he will be like.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Henrique scoring for the Ducks now is nice to stay in a playoff position while injuries piled up.

But I think he’s just about perfect for them as a big game player. They’ve really lacked that when Getz/Perry were getting shut down.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully he stays hot for you guys. We could tell you he's clutch in the playoffs... but once you think about it, that was 5 years ago now. Who knows what he will be like.

Even if he's not what he was 5 years ago, he should still be one of the top guys behind the "star" players. Hopefully Vatanen figures it out for you guys soon, except when you face the Ducks :naughty: (but I have a feeling that will be his breakout game).

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Which is what most people predicted. Those aforementioned depth players are no longer scoring unsustainably way over their heads and the team will slowly start regressing to the mean. As with Jesper Bratt who after his PPG start has settled in to a more realistic bracket.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Because its always great to judge a trade 10 days after they happen.

Vatanen has not been bad at all for NJ. Did you think we were getting Erik Karlsson? Sounds like you dont know the player and how hes being used.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

You’ve got a defenseman coming off shoulder surgery going to a new team, with a new system.

Exactly what kind of expectations did you have? Has he been solid defensively? Has he been able to move the puck for you? What exactly is the problem? Points? Give him a chance to get used to how the team runs the PP. That’s where you should expect most of his production to come from, if you plan on playing him in the top 4.

What did you know about Vatanen before the trade?

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I, for one, was disappointed in the return for Vatanen. To lose Theodore in order to protect him and then trade him for less than what he likely could have returned last year, doesn't sit well for me. And keeping Bieksa in the midst of it all...

With that said, I find it ironic that you'd say the bolded below. All that us Duck fans hear is how the Devils fleeced the Ducks for Palmieri. Yet, the bolded below pretty much fits the Kyle Palmieri who played in Anaheim.

Reactions: Spazkat

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Henrique has been solid. Scorers are streaky by nature. He does all the little things, and is a left handed shot who can play wing or center. Just because his face offs are bad (which they are) doesn't mean he can not slot in effectively at C.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

What have you done for me lately, right?

When Vatanen will rack up 8 pts in 5 games and Henrique will go scoreless in 4 straight, are you going to call this a steal?

This is a hockey deal for the next couple of years and analysing such a move after a week is the wrong way to look at it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Henrique has been solid. Scorers are streaky by nature. He does all the little things, and is a left handed shot who can play wing or center. Just because his face offs are bad (which they are) doesn't mean he can not slot in effectively at C.

Its more than faceoffs. He is not a good defensive player.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I, for one, was disappointed in the return for Vatanen. To lose Theodore in order to protect him and then trade him for less than what he likely could have returned last year, doesn't sit well for me. And keeping Bieksa in the midst of it all...

With that said, I find it ironic that you'd say the bolded below. All that us Duck fans hear is how the Devils fleeced the Ducks for Palmieri. Yet, the bolded below pretty much fits the Kyle Palmieri who played in Anaheim.

From what I understand, Palmieri wasn't being given the minutes due to the depth on the Ducks..... Correct me if I'm wrong because I never stayed up late to watch too many west coast games. Here, Henrique was a first line player in 2012 and 2013, and he just never really took that next step. He was on the third line this year for the first time in 5 years. He even got put on the fourth line and responded with a monster game in Minnesota.... then faded into obscurity again.

Palmieri also only played 198 NHL games with the Ducks. Henrique played 455 NHL games with the Devils. Palmieri had untapped potential... while in NJ we were pretty sure what we had with Henrique.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Vatanen's current dip in play (along with the injury hell in Anaheim) is exactly why NJ was able to buy low on him. If he was able to step right in and regain his pre-slump form, this trade would have been a coup. Give it time. As for Henrique, I don't think many expected him to be some big offensive catalyst, the Ducks don't necessarily need him to be. He's a smart player and can just as easily compliment a defensive line as he can a scoring line. His versatility is what makes him such a good addition.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm happy Henrique is doing well. He's a good dude and I know he loved his time in New Jersey.

Anyone that expected Vatanen to ride in on a white horse and save the Devils defense was an idiot. We still have the worst left side in the NHL. I don't think he's played poorly at all, it's actually refreshing to see a defenseman not named Butcher step up and lead the rush up the ice.

His points will come. Being glued to John Moore and The Corpse of Andy Greene certainly aren't helping, neither are the major surgery and new system (which certainly impacts defensemen more than forwards).

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Vatanen said it himself in the game against the kings. The previous few games after he was traded he didn't expect to play this fast. He was used to a slower pace with the Ducks. Hopefully he is adjusting to the pace and can step up. He did look better against the kings. But keep in mind even before he got injured he was doing poorly on the ducks.

Btw, even the corpse of Andy Greene is still better than him atm. Funny you said he was not doing so bad, yet criticize Greene who plays against the toughest competition night in and night out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad