Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NJD] Vatanen & conditional 3rd for Henrique, Blandisi & a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
ive watched 82 Devils games every year. hes better at LW. its not debateable.
Yup. He's a stopgap center, but in no way should be filling one of the top 2 center spots if you want to have a good team. He has a career faceoff percentage of 47% and isn't good enough defensively to handle the assignments a center has.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yup. He's a stopgap center, but in no way should be filling one of the top 2 center spots if you want to have a good team. He has a career faceoff percentage of 47% and isn't good enough defensively to handle the assignments a center has.

But he's got to be a better C than Grant/Wagner/Vermette. It'll be interesting to see where he fits in if the team is ever healthy

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Henrique has been good, though its only been two games. He will likely slot in at wing once Getzlaf and Kesler are back. Blandisi is solid, def an nhl player, though might get pushed to the minors if we ever get healthy. I love Vatanen but he hasn't been good the last couple of years, and he always seems to be banged up. Hoping he can turn it around.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
To be clear, Ducks fans understand that Henrique's not a long term center - whether or not Carlyle understands that is another story...see Rakell. That being said, he's still a better center that bona fide NHL 1st liner Derek Grant.

I was under the impression that Vatanen was very good in first game, but terrible in his second.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
To be clear, Ducks fans understand that Henrique's not a long term center - whether or not Carlyle understands that is another story...see Rakell. That being said, he's still a better center that bona fide NHL 1st liner Derek Grant.

I was under the impression that Vatanen was very good in first game, but terrible in his second.
He was pretty good in the first one, but there was some miscommunications and such that are expected with his first game with no practice, especially on the power play. The second game the entire team was terrible, including him, so tough to tell. He wasn't worse than Greene or Severson in the second game though, they were a tire fire all night.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
How was I wrong though? He's a better LW by far, and thats what I said...

You said they acquired a LW, when in reality they acquired a C. You clearly didn't understand why the Ducks acquired him. Nothing to be ashamed of, just accept you were wrong.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You said they acquired a LW, when in reality they acquired a C. You clearly didn't understand why the Ducks acquired him. Nothing to be ashamed of, just accept you were wrong.
The Ducks didn't acquire a LW, who can fill in at center when no better option is available. That doesn't make him a good top 6 center.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
really think this is going to be a win-win...been wanting to see NJ/vatz play but havent had the time, will be rooting for him/NJ though..

Henrique has been great for us at C...
2 goals (3 but 1 got changed to perry)
3 Assist
5 Points
4 Games
and doing well in the dot...if team was FULLY healthy I would be tempted to make him our 3c and have a top 9 of:
eaves-getzlaf-rakell
cogs-kesler-silferberg
kase-henrique-perry

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
really think this is going to be a win-win...been wanting to see NJ/vatz play but havent had the time, will be rooting for him/NJ though..

3 Assist
5 Points
4 Games
and doing well in the dot...if team was FULLY healthy I would be tempted to make him our 3c and have a top 9 of:
eaves-getzlaf-rakell
cogs-kesler-silferberg
kase-henrique-perry
Switch kase with eaves and switch eaves with Ritchie since he most likely won’t be back

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

3 Assist
5 Points
4 Games
eaves-getzlaf-rakell
cogs-kesler-silferberg
kase-henrique-perry

No he hasn't that is the only complaint I have about him is he poor at winning faceoffs.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Hope Vatanen gets his confidence back with the change of scenery. So far Henrique has been great for the Ducks. His passing is stellar.

Karhuvaari

Dec 4, 2016
Don't you guys think that Vatanen might have a down year because of the offseason surgery and the fact that he most possibly missed a good portion of the summer training? I bet that the Devils knew that and they are thinking this trade in long term, not just this year.

Reactions: My3Sons

PCDiesel

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
Don't you guys think that Vatanen might have a down year because of the offseason surgery and the fact that he most possibly missed a good portion of the summer training? I bet that the Devils knew that and they are thinking this trade in long term, not just this year.

I honestly think it had more to do with the system under Carlye. Fowler didn’t thrive as much under Boudreau, and Sami did. Since Carlye was hired, Fowler has thrived and Sami has not.

Karhuvaari

Dec 4, 2016
I honestly think it had more to do with the system under Carlye. Fowler didn’t thrive as much under Boudreau, and Sami did. Since Carlye was hired, Fowler has thrived and Sami has not.

Could be. I still wouldn't expect much from him during this season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It certainly has an impact on his play, that was a very serious injury, should be much better next year.

How he has been so far in NJ? with Noesen, Palms, Lovejoy - damn, is this Ducks eastern conference affiliate? :laugh:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I'm absolutely sure that is a part of it. Shoulder surgery saps your upper body strength, and it takes a while to get that strength back - longer than it takes to be ready to play. It'll likely be a few more months before that returns to 100%.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm absolutely sure that is a part of it. Shoulder surgery saps your upper body strength, and it takes a while to get that strength back - longer than it takes to be ready to play. It'll likely be a few more months before that returns to 100%.
I had a massive rotator cuff tear last July (2016), and it took a calendar year for it to legitimately feel normal again. No question the injury is affecting his game, and will continue to. The best case is that he doesn't re-injure...which is incredibly easy to do.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
How he has been so far in NJ? with Noesen, Palms, Lovejoy - damn, is this Ducks eastern conference affiliate? :laugh:
Lol.
It’s hard to judge Sami so far, but he’s looked good enough. Palms has been fantastic for us each season, but has us some injury troubles this year. He was also a bit unlucky hitting a post 2 or 3 games in a row early in the season. Noesen and Lovejoy have also been having good years. Noesen was moved up last game and was fantastic (think it was his first multipoint game), but he’s had a few other games where his play stood out a lot more than you’d expect of a 4th liner. And Lovejoy has been part of a solid 3rd pairing with Butcher.
It’s great to hear that Rico’s been doing well as a duck. He’s always been a fan favorite in NJ- just not an integral part of the Shero’s future plans.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Lol.
It’s hard to judge Sami so far, but he’s looked good enough. Palms has been fantastic for us each season, but has us some injury troubles this year. He was also a bit unlucky hitting a post 2 or 3 games in a row early in the season. Noesen and Lovejoy have also been having good years. Noesen was moved up last game and was fantastic (think it was his first multipoint game), but he’s had a few other games where his play stood out a lot more than you’d expect of a 4th liner. And Lovejoy has been part of a solid 3rd pairing with Butcher.
It’s great to hear that Rico’s been doing well as a duck. He’s always been a fan favorite in NJ- just not an integral part of the Shero’s future plans.
Good to hear, you guys certainly have capitalised on our rich depth in the past :laugh:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
how are people calling this even? unless I'm wrong, NJD gets over 2 years of a legit top 4 dman, and gave up one and a half years of a middle 6 center. Unless Blandisi is more special than I'm assuming?

I think people are overvaluing Vatanen a bit in here. Initially I didn't like the trade because I fully believe we could have gotten more this coming offseason. However, with the injuries, Vatanen's continued struggling play, it makes sense. It's too early to get too excited but man Henrique has been awesome so far. Definitely our best player each game he's played. Vatanen has been disappointing for 2 years now. Again, I was hoping he'd have a bounce back year and we could get more for him this offseason, but since he's been moved up the lineup; he hasn't been the same player. He's still a good defenseman. Definitely top 4, but just not the same guy he was 2 years ago. To be fair, despite him being on the 3rd pairing with Stoner back then, they played much more than your traditional "3rd pair". However, they definitely did get the easiest of the matchups. So one could say that Vatanen's value has been going down for 2 years now. I think the trade was made because of our injury situation, but if Vatanen didn't pick it up this year, we could potentially have received even less than we did.

I think this trade is pretty even. If I had to give an edge to "who got better value", I'd probably say NJ. Primarily because of what top 4 defenseman usually cost to get. That said, they gave up a top 6 forward, a solid prospect, and a 3rd rounder so that is quite a price. If Henrique was better as a center than a winger, then I'd argue the edge would have went to Anaheim. However, since apparently he's a better winger, that means something. So far though, aside from the faceoff dot, he's been great at center.

its not THAT uneven either though. both teams seem happy, no need to stir the pot

Yeah, trade seems to fit both teams needs and value is really close either way. almost dead even really.

NJ won, and will win in hindsight more if Henrique doesn't re-sign in Anaheim. Hence why I still think it's a panic move (sorry)

Not sure how you can call this a panic move when we've been dealing with having Derek Grant as our 1st line center for a month now. You're also acting like Vatanen was signed for much longer. He had 1 more year on his contract than Henrique does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->