Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NJD] Vatanen & conditional 3rd for Henrique, Blandisi & a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Vatanen going to NJD. Interesting to say the least. Will he slot himself in the 1st pair or did you guys reach a consensus yet on his playing position? Read through most of this thread but didn't really get a common opinion. Maybe I glossed over some messages.
Will start watching some NJD games now that there's some Finnish mixed in.

The Devils have been one of the most fun teams to watch this year. You should definitely start checking out their games.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He already did that with Palmieri. It's not customary to rip off back-to-back fleece jobs.
Palms just didn`t had a chance in Anaheim, stucked behind Perry, Selanne and Silfverberg. That deal worked very well for you guys and Kyle himself who now plays for his hometown team, but no hurt feelings from us. 2nd + 3d wasn`t a bad price we got for the player Kyle was at the time, and Anaheim fans more or less sensed that Palms could really broke out if he gets a more favorable situation than Anaheim. And he did.(although we pissed those draft picks away ourselves but that is another story) And somewhat similar situation now with Vatanen. That isn`t fleecing. Forsberg for Erat is fleecing, these are hockey deals. But you do get the best players in both deals, but in both trades, we get some really nice assets too.

Reactions: My3Sons

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The Devils have been one of the most fun teams to watch this year. You should definitely start checking out their games.
Watching maybe 75% of NSH games so far has been a toll on my sleeping schedule already
They have started well. Highlights have been enough for me so far :D

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
It's mainly just his size. Vats is feisty and defends hard but he's undersized and lacks reach - just doesn't have the leverage to be a high end defender. Still solid enough to be a top4 guy.

He excels on the PK because it's more about positioning, mobility and taking away lanes with less 1on1 battles.

He is solid defensively for sure. He just maybe isn`t a total defensive mastermind or something :laugh: He thrives if he plays with a stay at home defenseman where he can rely on him to do his thing so he can focus on his thing. His best time as a Duck he was playing with Clayton Stoner. He is just so elusive, he can take that puck, if he gets to it, and quickly push/pass up the ice.
He also can be pushed off sometimes because of his size. But not often nor easily though, the guy is very competitive.

Thank you both for your insights.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Are the Ducks trying out a new revenue generation model?

Y'know, multi-purposing kind of thing?

Part NHL team, part old-folks home?

Maybe Henry's old bones just could take the winter chill anymore, so they sent him to Cali where he can tell the same stories over and over to whoever gets stuck watching him in the press box.

Did Jersey include a supply of adult diapers....ahem...future considerations?

S'all good, you have Beiksa's superman punch, that's gotta be good for a cup right?

How many years since Bieksa forgot how to play hockey now? 3-4?

Kesler, Perry, Hair-club.....you guys are shedding more talent than ....too obvious...

By the time you guys get to the playoffs, all you'll have to contend with is the Beiksa superman punch, and a few sticks to the groin from Kessler, then those two will be the first to pack it in when the going gets tough

1st rounder to Calgary for Jarg! I'm calling it!

I think we're missing a "git off mah propertee, dangnabbit" at the end, with how crotchety this post is.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Devils fans will love Vatanen. I'm happy Vatanen is going to a team trending upwards!

Happy to get Henrique and intrigued by Blandisi. Looks like both are playing today in Columbus.

Reactions: HBK27

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Henrique is going to put up a pt/game for like a week or two after this trade.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I have a feeling Vatanen, like Palmieri, will thrive in New Jersey.

Unfortunately for us, Vatanen hasn't been the same since Carlyle took over. Whether or not that is due to Carlyle's coaching remains to be seen. Sami just has not had the confidence in his shot or his rushing ability the last season+, tough to tell if that's due to being reigned in by Carlyle or injuries.

I'm hoping he rebounds in New Jersey and starts to play like this again

If he does, you guys are going to love him.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Rather even trade - both teams dealing from a position of strength to fill a need.

Gonna really miss Henrique in NJ, but the writing was on the wall that he would most likely be dealt before the expiration of his current deal in another year and a half. Hopefully Vatanen can find his game again in NJ - seems like Shero has had his eye on him for quite some time.

Reactions: MakoSlade

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Henrique is going to put up a pt/game for like a week or two after this trade.

Good, hopefully Getzlaf and Kesler will be back in 2 weeks and this will carry us over.

I really hope (for both Devils and Vats sake) that he's not going to be on the top pairing. He can look ok there for short times with a good DFD, but he's a middle pairing d-man. Put him in a situation where he doesn't have to be the defensive anchor and he's going to put up points. His best years were with Stoner, who with all his limitations was still a decent stay at home. Vats hits, but isn't a crease clearer and can get over powered by big, strong forwards. He might fit a lot better in the east where the games are higher speed and skill. Do the Devils have a good left side, defensive D they can pair him up with?

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Gonna miss Vatman, but his play has been disappointing recently. He's looked slow, and his passing/shooting have been sub-par. I really want to blame Carlyle to some extent, but others like Montour and Manson haven't been shy about jumping in on offense and taking risks, so I think it's just a Sami thing. Given his injuries, I think it's a safe bet that he'll get back up to speed eventually though.

At the moment, I think this is a balanced trade for both sides. However, if Henrique can't cut it as a middle six C or if Vats continues to struggle, I could see it tilting a bit one way or the other. Long term, I like this more for the Devils. I see Rico as more of a stop-gap, whereas Vats should be an important player in NJ for years to come. Shame that both Vatanen and Theodore have been moved without any meaningful young talent coming back. But under the circumstances I think Murray did well to address his team's immediate needs while making them that much deeper if/when they ever get some of their big guns back. If they can keep their heads above water, I think the Ducks will do some damage this year. Love what's going on in NJ as well.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Good, hopefully Getzlaf and Kesler will be back in 2 weeks and this will carry us over.

I really hope (for both Devils and Vats sake) that he's not going to be on the top pairing. He can look ok there for short times with a good DFD, but he's a middle pairing d-man. Put him in a situation where he doesn't have to be the defensive anchor and he's going to put up points. His best years were with Stoner, who with all his limitations was still a decent stay at home. Vats hits, but isn't a crease clearer and can get over powered by big, strong forwards. He might fit a lot better in the east where the games are higher speed and skill. Do the Devils have a good left side, defensive D they can pair him up with?

Greene is very good defensively, and Vatanen is announced a) in vs Colorado and b) paired with Greene. Can't wait.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Greene is very good defensively, and Vatanen is announced a) in vs Colorado and b) paired with Greene. Can't wait.

Is he a stay at home or 2 way d-man? It might be RC's system, but Vatanen looked much worse with Fowler (2-way D) than with Lindholm and Stoner (defense first guys). Granted, it was also top pairing with Cam.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Is he a stay at home or 2 way d-man? It might be RC's system, but Vatanen looked much worse with Fowler (2-way D) than with Lindholm and Stoner (defense first guys). Granted, it was also top pairing with Cam.
Greene is a pure stay at home guy at this point in his career.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Greene is a pure stay at home guy at this point in his career.

Then I think Vatanen is going to be closer to his numbers a couple years ago than the current version the Ducks have been seeing. I think both teams will look at this as they "won" the trade (Henrique will make a bigger impact in Anaheim than Vatanen has recently and Vatanen will rebound to be a good #3 d-man again). Again, I really liked Vatanen here... I really hope he does well there.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Then I think Vatanen is going to be closer to his numbers a couple years ago than the current version the Ducks have been seeing. I think both teams will look at this as they "won" the trade (Henrique will make a bigger impact in Anaheim than Vatanen has recently and Vatanen will rebound to be a good #3 d-man again). Again, I really liked Vatanen here... I really hope he does well there.
I hope so. It would be great to see Henrique hit 30 again. If the Ducks put him on Getzlaf's wing, it's absolutely possible.

Reactions: My3Sons

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
Sometimes it's better to think before you speak. I suggest watching the Ducks play and then try again.

Sometimes it's better to think before you speak. I suggest watching the Ducks play and then try again.
LMAO just because the ducks used him as a C doesn't mean he's a better C than LW. Hes much more effective at the wing and was used almost exclusively as one in NJ... so yeah. Stupid statement

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

youll realise pretty quickly you didnt get a C back, regardless of where hes being played.

anyway, seems like good debuts for both guys. Henrique gets a primary assist, and Vatanen pretty much ran the D for TOI

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
LMAO just because the ducks used him as a C doesn't mean he's a better C than LW. Hes much more effective at the wing and was used almost exclusively as one in NJ... so yeah. Stupid statement
He was actually used much more as a center out of necessity due to our lack of center depth. He is more effective as a winger but can certainly play center if need be. His big problem is that he is so streaky. He is amazing for half the games and invisible the other half. He will always be held in high esteem with us for his 2012 playoffs when his goal against the Rangers won us the series to get to the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad