Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NJD] Vatanen & conditional 3rd for Henrique, Blandisi & a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I wished for Galchenyuk but totally understandable why that didn`t work out. I like Henrique, sounds like he will fit us with the 2 way play.

I think Vatanen will fit NJ very well. They will be happy. Enjoy him, he`s a fun guy. Google the Coffee and also the Ovechkin incidents

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Only NJ fans think they won the trade. Vatanen is extremely overrated, and I'm so happy this means the leafs won't get him. Blandisi is a solid bottom sixer right now imo.

Ducks easily win the trade imo. (posting this again)
Extremely overrated would apply to Rielly.

I don't see any overrating done here by anyone.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I don't understand why it is so important one teams wins a trade. It is a hockey trade and both teams got something they needed. Vatanen may be a huge point producer at NJ but he had his issus here. Henrique fills a hole, Blandisi may be a surprise otherwise he will help SD. Henrique looks like a play the Ducks wanted for some time now. They got it.

Reactions: Mallard and dracom

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I'd prefer Larsson over the Vatanen of the last 1.5 years myself. Now the Vatanen pre extension? I'd take that Vatanen over Larsson all day long, but jury is out whether he's ever getting back to that level.

I understand that Vatanen hasn't played as well during the last 1.5 years, as you mentioned, but could you give us Devils fans a short summary of the player that Vatanen was pre-extension? Both offensively and defensively?

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
Feel bad horrible trade for Devils 2 time 50 point multi use Center winger who can PK and another Center who has nothing but upside who shows he can play in the league for a downtrending small dman who only attribute is a right shot lol . Ducks just increased their Center depth and pk to great levels and the Devils attained a average at best pp dman you should feel bad.
Damn your analysis isnt one sided at all! Totally balanced

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
Don't know where you were going with this I was against Oilers moving Eberle for a downgrade because I knew he had a down season struggled on pp early got demoted to 2nd unit rest of season, and all thru that he still managed 20 goals and ended up 3rd on the team in scoring. He also lead the Oilers in scoring 3 times and even in his rookie season. Now Oilers biggest problem is scoring goals. And now Islanders are scoring very good this season and are near top of conference. And Why did Islanders go hard after a point producer they knew they made a big mistake by letting Okposo who put up 64 pts with them go only to miss playoffs next season because lack of goal scoring, Some gm's are just plain blind at times.
You think the isles missed the playoffs because they couldn't score? You're just the expert on everything aren't you

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I understand that Vatanen hasn't played as well during the last 1.5 years, as you mentioned, but could you give us Devils fans a short summary of the player that Vatanen was pre-extension? Both offensively and defensively?
I`d say a very good top 2nd pair guy who is great at transition, creative offensively and have a good slapper on the PP. Meanwhile tries hard on defense, effetive PKer and also does not shy away from physicality. But sometimes he can come up short defensively or phisically or on a lesser extent consistent offense - that limits his potential of being a #1. I`d say he`s a guy you are comfortable with to play 20-22 mins every night

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I`d say a very good top 2nd pair guy who is great at transition, creative offensively and have a good slapper on the PP. Meanwhile tries hard on defense, effetive PKer and also does not shy away from physicality. But sometimes he can come up short defensively or phisically or on a lesser extent consistent offense - that limits his potential of being a #1. I`d say he`s a guy you are comfortable with to play 20-22 mins every night

Thank you very much for this.

I've noticed a few Ducks fans saying that he is a good PKer but comes up short on defense. Can any of you expand on what his shortcomings are defensively?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I've noticed a few Ducks fans saying that he is a good PKer but comes up short on defense. Can any of you expand on what his shortcomings are defensively?

It's mainly just his size. Vats is feisty and defends hard but he's undersized and lacks reach - just doesn't have the leverage to be a high end defender. Still solid enough to be a top4 guy.

He excels on the PK because it's more about positioning, mobility and taking away lanes with less 1on1 battles.

Reactions: Kalv and Arthuros

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
UNREAL trade for NJ.... I was already loving watching NJ games this season and now they have become even more fun to watch. What a perfect addition to that team getting Vats.

Im not a Leaf fan but i was really hoping they would have acquire him cause it would have made them even more fun to watch, but NJ is an awesome fit too

Last edited:
Reactions: vtdevils2k

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

He is solid defensively for sure. He just maybe isn`t a total defensive mastermind or something :laugh: He thrives if he plays with a stay at home defenseman where he can rely on him to do his thing so he can focus on his thing. His best time as a Duck he was playing with Clayton Stoner. He is just so elusive, he can take that puck, if he gets to it, and quickly push/pass up the ice.
He also can be pushed off sometimes because of his size. But not often nor easily though, the guy is very competitive.

Reactions: rongg

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Shero does it again. He didn’t rob Murray blind (like he has to other GMs), but this is still a good deal. A hockey trade in the purest sense.

Reactions: MakoSlade

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Only NJ fans think they won the trade. Vatanen is extremely overrated, and I'm so happy this means the leafs won't get him. Blandisi is a solid bottom sixer right now imo.

Ducks easily win the trade imo. (posting this again)

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

so that's why he hasn't cracked our lineup this year. you know, the devils' lineup. the good old slow, offensively-challenged devils. :rolleyes:

how many devils games have you watched this year? from your home in toronto?

please, do provide more hot takes.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Shero does it again. He didn’t rob Murray blind (like he has to other GMs), but this is still a good deal. A hockey trade in the purest sense.
Its a pretty good trade, we lacked bottom 6 skill which Blandisi seems like he can help with... and we needed another top 9 C/W. Vatanen was expendable and hasn't played up to his past levels.

If vatanen goes back to form for the devils, then the move may favor NJ long term... but I also don't think its a move Anaheim will regret down the line (because of our defensive depth we still have Larsson mahura welinski up and coming), and I think Henrique and blandisi can be solid contributors for us

Reactions: BHD

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I don't understand why it is so important one teams wins a trade. It is a hockey trade and both teams got something they needed. Vatanen may be a huge point producer at NJ but he had his issus here. Henrique fills a hole, Blandisi may be a surprise otherwise he will help SD. Henrique looks like a play the Ducks wanted for some time now. They got it.

Take a hike hippy

And take a shower before before you start trying to speread that free love B.S around these parts

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Are the Ducks trying out a new revenue generation model?

Y'know, multi-purposing kind of thing?

Part NHL team, part old-folks home?

Maybe Henry's old bones just could take the winter chill anymore, so they sent him to Cali where he can tell the same stories over and over to whoever gets stuck watching him in the press box.

Did Jersey include a supply of adult diapers....ahem...future considerations?

S'all good, you have Beiksa's superman punch, that's gotta be good for a cup right?

How many years since Bieksa forgot how to play hockey now? 3-4?

Kesler, Perry, Hair-club.....you guys are shedding more talent than ....too obvious...

By the time you guys get to the playoffs, all you'll have to contend with is the Beiksa superman punch, and a few sticks to the groin from Kessler, then those two will be the first to pack it in when the going gets tough

1st rounder to Calgary for Jarg! I'm calling it!

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Maybe Henry's old bones just could take the winter chill anymore, so they sent him to Cali where he can tell the same stories over and over to whoever gets stuck watching him in the press box.

S'all good, you have Beiksa's superman punch, that's gotta be good for a cup right?

Kesler, Perry, Hair-club.....you guys are shedding more talent than ....too obvious...

By the time you guys get to the playoffs, all you'll have to contend with is the Beiksa superman punch, and a few sticks to the groin from Kessler, then those two will be the first to pack it in when the going gets tough

BRB, just fixing the buthurt detector that just exploded into atom particles while I was reading this post.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

27 is geriatric now. good joke.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Vatanen going to NJD. Interesting to say the least. Will he slot himself in the 1st pair or did you guys reach a consensus yet on his playing position? Read through most of this thread but didn't really get a common opinion. Maybe I glossed over some messages.
Will start watching some NJD games now that there's some Finnish mixed in.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

i feel like you are trying to be funny but are failing in epic proportions.

Reactions: ThePrideofStockholm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad