[ANA] Jake Gardiner

defer*

Does anyone have an update on how he is playing so far this season. I have seen the stats but I'm looking for more of a description on how his defensive game AND puck movement/scoring has been.

Any opinions would be welcome. thank you.

defer*

As a Ducks fan I would be more excited about Schultz, he's been much better than Gardiner and looks like a real find in the 2nd round.

Gardiner has the higher ceiling.

He has only been playing defense for like 4 seasons and he has shown he can play an offensive role and defensive role.

This season he needs to show he can do both.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
Go to UW-Madison. I have student season hockey tickets. I went to just about every game last year and kept a close eye on him because he's from the city over, and because I went to the games with his good friend so naturally his eyes were always following Gardiner.

Honestly, when I watched him last year, he looked good, but didn't stick out. He wasn't dominant to the point where you just naturally noticed him. I've only been to one game so far this year and they played Alabama, so not a good measure of how he's playing.

I'm not a scout (rabid hockey fan I am!), but definitly not a scout, so I guess I don't know exactly what to look for as far as "how is he progressing."

I'll try to keep you updated because I am very interested in his future NHL career.

defer*

Go to UW-Madison. I have student season hockey tickets. I went to just about every game last year and kept a close eye on him because he's from the city over, and because I went to the games with his good friend so naturally his eyes were always following Gardiner.

Honestly, when I watched him last year, he looked good, but didn't stick out. He wasn't dominant to the point where you just naturally noticed him. I've only been to one game so far this year and they played Alabama, so not a good measure of how he's playing.

I'm not a scout (rabid hockey fan I am!), but definitly not a scout, so I guess I don't know exactly what to look for as far as "how is he progressing."

I'll try to keep you updated because I am very interested in his future NHL career.

These are the things I look at when it comes to defensemen.

ranked in the order that I think si most important for him right now.

1. Poise- not something you can learn.

2. Positioning- most defensemen his age learn great positioning as they mature so if he is doing well now they that is a plus.

3. Physicality- not necessarily how hard or well he hits someone but more that the desire to be physical is there.

4. Breakout pass- This is something that you get better at with age so I would love for him to be above average now.

5. Strength along the boards- Being able to be strong with the puck and not loose possession is huge IMO.

6. Shot- Being a former forward I expect a great wrist shot with a rocket for a slapshot.

7. Skating/speed- This is a skill that you can always gain as your body matures so I am not too worried about it if he is not the fastest BUT I would like him to show some kind of speed.

Dice on Ice

No dude. We should've drafted Myers. I don't care how good Gardiner becomes. Myers is better. But I guess maybe had we drafted Myers, it might've been a butterfly effect and we would've never drafted Fowler.

I will still never believe the luck the Ducks got with Fowler slipping to them. As an Isles fan, I really like Niederreiter, but to this day still would've selected Fowler in that spot. Great player.

As for Gardiner, haven't seen him yet this season (I have Wisconsin-Huntsville on DVR as well), but he looked OK in the WJC that one time.

defer*

I will still never believe the luck the Ducks got with Fowler slipping to them. As an Isles fan, I really like Niederreiter, but to this day still would've selected Fowler in that spot. Great player.

As for Gardiner, haven't seen him yet this season (I have Wisconsin-Huntsville on DVR as well), but he looked OK in the WJC that one time.

When you watch that game would you mind filling us in?

Last edited by a moderator:

X-SHARKIE

Gardiner has the higher ceiling.

He has only been playing defense for like 4 seasons and he has shown he can play an offensive role and defensive role.

This season he needs to show he can do both.

I would disagree. Gardiner doesn't have the vision, creativity, and hand skills that Schultz does. So Gardiner is the more dynamic skater of the two, but Schultz is a very good skater too (better laterally than Gardiner) and is actually more productive generating offensive opportunities with his feet because he anticipates and sees the ice at a much faster rate than Jake does.

Schultz is much smoother and more productive with the puck and has the higher offensive ceiling. He could be a top-4, puck-moving defenseman who quarterbacks your powerplay in the NHL .. once he gets stronger of course. I think the Ducks found a gem in Schultz and that Gardiner is going to be a tweener at the pro-level, he's not going to be above-average offensively or defensively as a pro.

Gardiner has progressed well defensively but besides being a great skater his offensive abilities were overrated at the draft and it's beginning to show in his lack of offensive development. Gardiner will be Lukas Krajicek at best. Countrygentleman claims he isn't a scout but his report is quite accurate IMO.

Both were drafted to be offensive defenseman .. Schultz can quarterback a powerplay in the NHL and Gardiner can't.

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It's been a while since I've seen either, so take this with a grain of salt, but I really liked Gardiner's skating and explosion with the puck. However, he did have a lot to learn, and like some of you had said, he maybe needs better offensive instincts to be a PPQB.

Schultz I didn't like when I saw him, but that was pre-college. Everybody was hyping him, but he seemed too small, and his defense wasn't very good, and I didn't really get a good feel for him. I guess I saw him as more of a tweener. But he will obviously get bigger, and if his offense is really good, then maybe.

I think maybe Wiercioch was the dman out of those three back-to-back dmen taken early in the 2nd in 2008 who could end up being really something special (I believe it went Y. Sauve, Schultz, Wiercioch?).

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I would disagree. Gardiner doesn't have the vision, creativity, and hand skills that Schultz does. So Gardiner is the more dynamic skater of the two, but Schultz is a very good skater too (better laterally than Gardiner) and is actually more productive generating offensive opportunities with his feet because he anticipates and sees the ice at a much faster rate than Jake does.

Schultz is much smoother and more productive with the puck and has the higher offensive ceiling. He could be a top-4, puck-moving defenseman who quarterbacks your powerplay in the NHL .. once he gets stronger of course. I think the Ducks found a gem in Schultz and that Gardiner is going to be a tweener at the pro-level, he's not going to be above-average offensively or defensively as a pro.

Gardiner has progressed well defensively but besides being a great skater his offensive abilities were overrated at the draft and it's beginning to show in his lack of offensive development. Gardiner will be Lukas Krajicek at best. Countrygentleman claims he isn't a scout but his report is quite accurate IMO.

Both were drafted to be offensive defenseman .. Schultz can quarterback a powerplay in the NHL and Gardiner can't.

THIS. I have been trying to get on the Gardiner bandwagon since we drafted him but I have not seen any reason to believe he is going to be a top 4 defensman. I have seen about 4-5 games and a couple WJC. He just doesnt have the offensive instincts or poise to be that good. Kind of reminds me of Mikkelson actually.

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site

That could just be a matter of having played defense longer, yeah? It's got to be hard to show off any skills when you're spending most of your time thinking rather than playing on instinct.

In any case, both are over a ppg early this season, so either Gardiner's riding Schultz's coattails or maybe he's starting to take a step forward.

X-SHARKIE

That could just be a matter of having played defense longer, yeah? It's got to be hard to show off any skills when you're spending most of your time thinking rather than playing on instinct.

Good point. That could be but I don't believe that is the issue with Jake. I know it's an adjustment for skilled, offensive forwards to slide back and play the point on the powerplay, but it is an adjustment that good players typically make quickly.

97FlyersKing18

Jul 23, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I go to UW and have been watching Gardiner in the first weekend of games (vs. Alabama Huntsville) and he will get plenty of ice-time this year. He is wearing the A on a very young squad and is getting top PP time.

I understand that the Badgers have lost a lot and still found ways to score on the PP, but they did not look very crisp. Perhaps it is the start of the year and Gardiner is getting acclimated to more of a leadership role on the team. He is not as dynamic on the PP as Brendan Smith (Detroit Prospect) nor has the offensive skills of Schultz, but I believe that he can develop into what the Ducks want out of him. I anticipate he will spend some time in the AHL after his stint in Madison.

defer*

I go to UW and have been watching Gardiner in the first weekend of games (vs. Alabama Huntsville) and he will get plenty of ice-time this year. He is wearing the A on a very young squad and is getting top PP time.

I understand that the Badgers have lost a lot and still found ways to score on the PP, but they did not look very crisp. Perhaps it is the start of the year and Gardiner is getting acclimated to more of a leadership role on the team. He is not as dynamic on the PP as Brendan Smith (Detroit Prospect) nor has the offensive skills of Schultz, but I believe that he can develop into what the Ducks want out of him. I anticipate he will spend some time in the AHL after his stint in Madison.

I think that he needs another 2 or 3 years to keep learning the defensive game and reach the level that he can play in the NHL.

People are underestimating the fact that he has learned to play defense in only 3 years.

Not many players can do that.

defer*

3 points and was a +4 last game bringing his point total to 8 in 7 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad