Claimed off Waivers: [ANA] Ducks claim F Brett Leason off waivers from the Capitals

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
whats the report on leason? seems like a big guy. recent 2nd rounder
He's been a pro for 3 years. Drafted at age 20 in 2019. Skating was an issue for him coming out. Guess, he never improved enough in that area. Big body, but in today's NHL you have to be fast enough to get in on the forecheck to use that size, otherwise, you're going to be a liability.

Reactions: hn777

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Last season Leason surprised somewhat, getting into NHL games and not looking out of place.

The ceiling is obviously limited for this player but I had no issues with him playing on the Caps 4th line. Competes hard, good defensive awareness. His skating is a weak link, though he did show marked improvement last season.

I would have much rather see him stay in the Caps system.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Leason is ok for depth as a 4th line big man but his skating still leaves a lot to be desired and his defensive play is nothing home to write about either.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's been a pro for 3 years. Drafted at age 20 in 2019. Skating was an issue for him coming out. Guess, he never improved enough in that area. Big body, but in today's NHL you have to be fast enough to get in on the forecheck to use that size, otherwise, you're going to be a liability.

Yeah. Pretty much a case study in how, if your skating isn't good enough, it's hard to be effective in the NHL. He's got all the other elements to be an effective player, but if you can't get to where you need to be quickly enough, none of the rest of it really matters.

Decent gamble where he was drafted, that he'd find another gear with his skating to at least be serviceable. Late bloomer sort of potential. But obviously just never found that gear. Doesn't really seem that well suited to a 4th line banger role, but i guess it doesn't really matter for Anaheim.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Does he play with an edge? Hit?
Brett Leason didnt really hit that much but then again when a player is getting under 9 minutes a night there really is not much time to hit.

Leason played in 36 games last season with the Caps and had 3G-3A-6Pts and 16 hits.

At 6’5” 225lbs he’s decent at protecting the puck but the problem for Leason is getting possession of the puck in the first place.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If he was drafted by the Caps and Anaheim wants him that's probably a good indication there might be something there. Even if that something is never more than a useful bottom 6er that's still worth something for what he costs.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Brett Leason didnt really hit that much but then again when a player is getting under 9 minutes a night there really is not much time to hit.

Leason played in 36 games last season with the Caps and had 3G-3A-6Pts and 16 hits.

At 6’5” 225lbs he’s decent at protecting the puck but the problem for Leason is getting possession of the puck in the first place.

I mean, getting in on the forecheck and making hits is one of the few things a player can actually do in 9 minutes of 4th line sort of icetime. That's what makes good 4th liners good at what they do. Getting in and making an impact in limited minutes, and without having the puck a lot of the time. The sort of disruptive "tone setting" energy shift type deal.

But with Leason's skating and style of play...that's not really in his wheelhouse. So it makes for a sort of awkward "4th liner" who doesn't really play the way you'd ideally want those depth role players to play.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Leason is a big frame, and it's easy to see the type of player scouts hope he can become with time. If he takes further steps in his development (including improving his skating), he could be a complimentary middle six winger who's effective around the netfront and can play on both special teams units. He's also got a decent shot if gets open in space. Not a play-driver by any means, but someone who sets the screens and cleans up the garbage.

He's never been a real banger at any level, so expecting him to become a physical force is probably misplaced. He can hold his own on the forecheck and in the corners, but he isn't going to be lighting people up on a regular basis. His size and his frame is used more for reach (he utilizes his stick to sweep up large territories of ice effectively) and establishing position on defenders than it is for hitting.

I wasn't overly impressed by him in his NHL action last year, but it's still frustrating to see the Capitals losing their 2019 2nd round pick so soon.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Sounds like someone who could really use some time in the AHL. Oh well...

In Anaheim, he has to compete with Silfverberg and Regenda. Silfvy has awfully fallen off the cliff because of the injuries, but I'd be surprised if our coaching staff scratched him anytime soon, and Regenda is a nice surprise European FA signing for us that already has created some nice chemistry on our 4th line.

So the best bet I guess could be for him to come in for Silfverberg, although will not come easy. So will see, but personally, I'd be very intrigued to try him with Comtois and Lundestrom. Commer is throwing his body around a lot, Lundy can skate like a freak – they could provide some nice energy and frustrate the opposition. But that's just in my imagination, will see what happens.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

In Anaheim, he has to compete with Silfverberg and Regenda. Silfvy has awfully fallen off the cliff because of the injuries, but I'd be surprised if our coaching staff scratched him anytime soon, and Regenda is a nice surprise European FA signing for us that already has created some nice chemistry on our 4th line.

So the best bet I guess could be for him to come in for Silfverberg, although will not come easy. So will see, but personally, I'd be very intrigued to try him with Comtois and Lundestrom. Commer is throwing his body around a lot, Lundy can skate like a freak – they could provide some nice energy and frustrate the opposition. But that's just in my imagination, will see what happens.
Who's the play maker on that line lol, definitely not Comtois or Lundestrom. From the reviews it sounds like Leason ain't one either.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Who's the play maker on that line lol, definitely not Comtois or Lundestrom. From the reviews it sounds like Leason ain't one either.
Silfverberg is not one either :sarcasm: How bad could it get?

In this formation I think (assume) they would do a little bit of ''hard to play against'', not to drive the offense. They could at least keep the puck in the O zone a bit and hope Comtois and/or Leason shot does the magic.
Silfverberg looked like he needs to be carried on that line, albeit preseason is not the time when veterans usually put their best foot forward, so will see. But def interested in how the Leason situation plays off.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Silfverberg is not one either :sarcasm: How bad could it get?

In this formation I think (assume) they would do a little bit of ''hard to play against'', not to drive the offense. They could at least keep the puck in the O zone a bit and hope Comtois and/or Leason shot does the magic.
Silfverberg looked like he needs to be carried on that line, albeit preseason is not the time when veterans usually put their best foot forward, so will see. But def interested in how the Leason situation plays off.
Oh I agree with you silf looks mediocre

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

+ Carrick is back on 4th line RW in November hopefully.

It’s going to be tough for Leason to get in the lineup.

Reactions: Kalv

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
When I saw how big this kid was I was really hoping that we grabbed the enforcer this team needs so badly. Guess not. Still can't believe we traded Des for a 3rd round pick...

Reactions: McDonald19 and MCB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad