GDT: ANA @ DET 7:30PM EST 02/13/2018

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not a great game to watch. Regardless of how much a high pick would help, I can't not enjoy winning.

Still not a fan of Jensen. He's so darn weak out there, and he always seems a bit lost on the ice. He skates really well and he shows some enthusiasm for his work, but not sure why we keep running him out there.

Really like Larkin, but who doesn't.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Mickey and Ozzy talking about the playoffs is sickening. Get real guys, we are nowhere near the playoffs, it's a little late for that. I guess it is their jobs to try to pump the fans up, but it's just funny how they're having a playoff discussion.

"we need to go 8-1-1 here in the next 10" How many 10 game stretches over the last 4 years have we gone 8-1-1? Zero?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Not a great game to watch. Regardless of how much a high pick would help, I can't not enjoy winning.

Still not a fan of Jensen. He's so darn weak out there, and he always seems a bit lost on the ice. He skates really well and he shows some enthusiasm for his work, but not sure why we keep running him out there.

maybe because he is the only one besides larkin who can move puck to offence

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Mickey and Ozzy talking about the playoffs is sickening. Get real guys, we are nowhere near the playoffs, it's a little late for that. I guess it is their jobs to try to pump the fans up, but it's just funny how they're having a playoff discussion.

"we need to go 8-1-1 here in the next 10" How many 10 game stretches over the last 4 years have we gone 8-1-1? Zero?

With them continuing to talk like that, it's pretty insulting. They must think we are dumb by trying to sell a playoff push to us. Either that, or they are completely delusional.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
maybe because he is the only one besides larkin who can move puck to offence

He can skate the puck out, but he doesn't really transition much of anything to offense with it. He's too lost in his own zone and he's not a strong enough passer to fuel and actual transition.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

It's their job to keep people watching and viewing those advertisements.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

I love beating the Ducks! We've had their # for almost a decade now. Detroit, in some weird way, is winning back my heart lol. These aren't fluke wins. Teams know they need to skate and compete at a high level to wear down the Wings but it just doesn't go as planned. It's amazing the things they pull off, the opponents must be beyond frustrated when we win the small races or get the puck out past them by inches.

Funny you bring up Jensen, I wanted to post how he's stood out the last couple games. IMO he's looking slowly more comfortable rushing up ice. His skating is a thing of beauty. Is he a legitimate, acceptable 3rd pairing NHL player? I'm not sure. Only a 100 g/p and a year until his next contract I'm happy to have him for now. I guess when you add up Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley, and Danny D it's painful but in a vacuum I'm curious if Jensen makes a place in the league.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
1st game at the LCA. Sat in the nosebleeds.

Arena is very nice.

Security is very tight, was surprised in a good way.

Prices weren't too high, unless your drinking.

I smoke, so no smoking sections sucks.

Overall, good experience.

---

As for the game, it looked like Anaheim took the night off. Howard was solid.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not necessarily relevant to tonight's game, but in general. Why is there not more ragging on Tatar and Nyquist by Wings fans? Tatar is making 5.3 million and has 14 goals, and Nyquist is making 4.75 and has 15 goals, both of them are on pace for 36 Pts (Tatar) and 37 pts (Nyquist), which is abysmal no matter what excuses are thrown around. Both of their performances have been terrible, yet Wings fans only seem to rag on Helm, who has 20 pts only 4 less than Tatar with no PP time, and PK's quite well, and makes 1.5 less, and Abdelkader which is warranted. Yet Tatar and Nyquist don't get much flak it seems. They are "goal scorers", yet 20 goals is not good, especially since even if they both get there, we are miles out of a playoff spot anyway, so who cares now if they hit 20 goals now anyway.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
Not necessarily relevant to tonight's game, but in general. Why is there not more ragging on Tatar and Nyquist by Wings fans? Tatar is making 5.3 million and has 14 goals, and Nyquist is making 4.75 and has 15 goals, both of them are on pace for 36 Pts (Tatar) and 37 pts (Nyquist), which is abysmal no matter what excuses are thrown around. Both of their performances have been terrible, yet Wings fans only seem to rag on Helm, who has 20 pts only 4 less than Tatar with no PP time, and PK's quite well, and makes 1.5 less, and Abdelkader which is warranted. Yet Tatar and Nyquist don't get much flak it seems. They are "goal scorers", yet 20 goals is not good, especially since even if they both get there, we are miles out of a playoff spot anyway, so who cares now if they hit 20 goals now anyway.

I don't know if it's accurate to say Nyquist and Tatar have escaped criticism for their lackluster contributions, but I think most of us understand they are what they are, complementary offensive pieces that would probably be more effective if they could play second or third fiddle on a team with more depth and high-end talent than Detroit has. In a vacuum, they're probably worth more or less what they're paid, they're young enough where you could yet hold out hope they can rebound (should they remain with the team), and their contracts are palatable enough where they can be moved fairly easily at some point in the relatively near future (which a lot of us would like, so why undercut their trade value by shredding them constantly? we can't take any chances here, Poile or some other GM might be perusing HF fan opinions on potential trade targets right now!:sarcasm:).

Which leads to the Holland-factor of course. Yeah, they've both kinda sucked this season, but their contracts aren't the albatrosses that Helm's and Abdelkader's are, so they're less emblematic of the incompetence of the front office that has left us mired in mediocrity, and so less magnetic of frustrated fan ire. Which you must also account for in discussion of Helm and Abdelkader, who otherwise are performing to reasonable expectations. But because of their term (and perhaps because their very retention deepens the suspicion that Holland has been making roster decisions based on personal relationships, organizational loyalty and marketing gimmicks at the expense of hockey talent), they carry a dual symbolism which makes them ideal targets for the vitriol. They're Holland's prized ponies, for whatever reason, so for a lot of fans, crapping on them relentlessly is a kind of metaphorical invocation of the Godfather chopping their heads off and throwing them in Holland's bed in the middle of the night. A pointed message of discontent, even if the players themselves really don't deserve it (when divorced from the impossible expectations of their contracts at least). Not maybe the most logical means to the desired end, but psychologically consistent with the average sports fan, I suppose.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Who the f*** cares, it’s their job. They can’t just sit there talking about how bad everything is.

Maybe they should talk about how Larkin’s not that good or Rasmussen was a sh*tty pick too.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Who the f*** cares, it’s their job. They can’t just sit there talking about how bad everything is.

Maybe they should talk about how Larkin’s not that good or Rasmussen was a sh*tty pick too.

That would be such a bizarre conversation to hear from Mick that I kinda want to hear it now.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Yeah maybe.

Personally, I'd prefer them analyze for the future and accept reality, maybe discuss some potential trades. Why does the entire organization, starting with the GM, and the coach, and clearly the analysts live in a delusional world where everything is ok? Why can't they accept reality?

Look at what is going on in Ottawa. They admit they are junk, and they start building for the future. Meanwhile in Detroit "all we need is to go 8-1-1 here in the next 10". It's sickening.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah maybe.

Personally, I'd prefer them analyze for the future and accept reality, maybe discuss some potential trades. Why does the entire organization, starting with the GM, and the coach, and clearly the analysts live in a delusional world where everything is ok? Why can't they accept reality?

Look at what is going on in Ottawa. They admit they are junk, and they start building for the future. Meanwhile in Detroit "all we need is to go 8-1-1 here in the next 10". It's sickening.
Yeah Ottawa is really something to envy.. building for the future while having the league’s best d-man in his prime. Hopefully we can draft Dahlin and waste his career and be like the Sens.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yeah Ottawa is really something to envy.. building for the future while having the league’s best d-man in his prime. Hopefully we can draft Dahlin and waste his career and be like the Sens.

The Wings aren't special snowflakes, continuing to point out how every other team is terrible while thinking the Wings are different doesn't do any good. The Wings make just as many mistakes as all of the other shitty organizations that people keep pointing out and laughing at people for wanting to do some of the things they're doing. Just because Ottawa may be worse off right now than the Wings doesn't mean they aren't doing certain things better than Detroit. Just because Toronto hasn't won a cup with their current process doesn't mean they haven't done things better than Detroit and are trending to relevance.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Lol way to take everything out of context. By me saying I think it's smart that the Sens admit reality and start a firesale somehow equates to me wanting us to waste Dahlin's career by doing what Ottawa does? Whatever buddy.

Reactions: TheMule93

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Lol way to take everything out of context. By me saying I think it's smart that the Sens admit reality and start a firesale somehow equates to me wanting us to waste Dahlin's career by doing what Ottawa does? Whatever buddy.

Hey man, how else are we going to prove a point other than against a straw man argument

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Well, we could always waste Larkin/Mantha/etc's careers by refusing to rebuild, instead playing them with random UFAs and bargain bin reclamation projects until they hit 27 and bail for an organization that's more focused on long-term success.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yeah maybe.

They're salesmen for FSD and, to some extent, the Detroit Red Wings.
In fact, I think both Ozzie and Mickey are on the Red Wing payroll.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Had to watch the game on the Ducks feed last night (I live in SoCal) and boy is their play by play guy the worst at identifying ppl and names. At one point I was yelling out "Who TF is Adam Larkin???"

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
When did Ottawa start a "fire sale"? The only thing they've done so far is move a bad contract that they've been trying to get rid of for a while, in exchange for another teams bad contract. At the end of the day, the move was more about saving Eugene Melnyk around $4-5M over the next three years than starting a fire sale...

And as far as Mick and Ozzy, they have to cater to the bandwagoneer fans that passed around "Our playoff streak is older than your team" memes and whose feeble grasp of the teams deficiencies are parroting "Ericsson Bad" and "Jimmy 5-Hole" on the Red Wings Facebook posts after a loss. I'm sure the Illitch's don't want to have to resort to using Art Van seat covers like the other not so great LCA tenant, so anything they can do to those BW types to games is crucial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad