An unknown deadline? You be the judge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperDave21

Hockey Paradise
Jul 30, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
Now I've been reading on here that there is a "dealine" of sorts for getting a CBA signed by June 1st. Now at first I thought it was just lost hope on parts of the members here but my curiosity got the best of me and I asked around to a few key people I know and I also read an article on this which has now eluded me but I'll try to find it and post it on here asap.

Ok the reason that there may be a June 1st dealine is because the owners are supposedly placing a "90-day clause" that will include a 90-day window after the new CBA is signed to get ready for the next season. In other words the owners are saying that they will need 90 days to hire staff and lure back fans and season ticket holders whenever a CBA is signed. So training camps will not open till the 90 days is up. So lets say an agreement is signed and put in place in August. Well with this new 90-day window the players will not see ice time or a penny of their salary until November-December.

That is why these meetings might also be going on because lets say a deal is signed Tuesday (crosses fingers) then training camps and the season wil start on time. It's another way to put pressure on the union and the players.

Again when I find the article I will post it, but I've been hearing things like this for sometime now and it was only confirmed to me yesterday.

What I want to know is, what does everybody think about this and do you think a new CBA will be signed before June 1st?

P.S. This is not a rant but if the moderators deem it is, then please delete it, I don't want to break rules.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
pck21 said:
Now I've been reading on here that there is a "dealine" of sorts for getting a CBA signed by June 1st. Now at first I thought it was just lost hope on parts of the members here but my curiosity got the best of me and I asked around to a few key people I know and I also read an article on this which has now eluded me but I'll try to find it and post it on here asap.

Ok the reason that there may be a June 1st dealine is because the owners are supposedly placing a "90-day clause" that will include a 90-day window after the new CBA is signed to get ready for the next season. In other words the owners are saying that they will need 90 days to hire staff and lure back fans and season ticket holders whenever a CBA is signed. So training camps will not open till the 90 days is up. So lets say an agreement is signed and put in place in August. Well with this new 90-day window the players will not see ice time or a penny of their salary until November-December.

That is why these meetings might also be going on because lets say a deal is signed Tuesday (crosses fingers) then training camps and the season wil start on time. It's another way to put pressure on the union and the players.

Again when I find the article I will post it, but I've been hearing things like this for sometime now and it was only confirmed to me yesterday.

What I want to know is, what does everybody think about this and do you think a new CBA will be signed before June 1st?

P.S. This is not a rant but if the moderators deem it is, then please delete it, I don't want to break rules.
When I first started reading this thread - June 1 deadline, CBA, and judge - I was expecting yet another June 1st draftee rights, RFA QOs, and court challenge thread. I'm arguing agaisnt that in too many other threads here already.

That being said, I'm glad your question was something else.

The 90-day window is a reasonable want from the owners, but not a must. Having a deal by June 1 does make it easier to market season tickets, deal with the draft and player signings and the new economic restrictions (cap or tax or whatever), as well as making dealings with ESPN less complicated.

Now if a new deal were not in place by June 1, I can't see the owners forcing a day-for-day slip in starting a new season, assuming a new deal is struck in July/Aug/Sept. Cancelling more games when they don't have to would be too much of an emarassment and damage the league. As soon as they get a deal, both sides will want to go into damage control mode as soon as possible, and the best way to bring fans and revenue back is to get the product back out there on the ice ASAP.

Trying to use an arbitrary 90 day window as leverage against the PA (cancelled games = reduced player salaries) is I think a pretty empty threat - it does as much or more damage to the league than to the players.

Remember back in Feb, the league was ready to go in two or three weeks after a CBA signing.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
pck21 said:

well, when you come out from the dark parking garage there deepthroat please give us the scoop from the 'key people you know.' :loony:

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
nyrmessier011 said:
When do season ticket holders pick up there option on next season?

I'd say it's around that time
Heck, for the Capitals you had to leave your deposit for the 2004-05 season as the deposit for the 2005-06 or you'd lose your seats. So for them, it was the same day as the cancellation

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
Weary said:
Heck, for the Capitals you had to leave your deposit for the 2004-05 season as the deposit for the 2005-06 or you'd lose your seats. So for them, it was the same day as the cancellation

Same for the Lightning, we had to leave at least 25% of last year's season ticket total with them to hold our seats for '05-06.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Such 90 days requirement cannot be justified by logistics of starting the new season.

A much more plausible explanation would be the can of worms that would open after June 1 (already mentioned RFA and draft issues). Not that it's not possible to solve these after the 1st, but it would make reaching the deal harder.

Another possibility is that starting the new season with replacements would not be so easy, and could require 90 days for the war and scramble that would follow NHL's decision to start with replacements.

Realistically, it is the combination of the factors that I mentioned. Faced with much tougher negotiating climate after June 1, NHL is planning to fall back on the replacement player plan. I do not buy the 90 day deadline, but I beleive that June 1st crossroads is real.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
missK said:
Same for the Lightning, we had to leave at least 25% of last year's season ticket total with them to hold our seats for '05-06.

damn, I didn't have to do anything for NYR...but I'm not a full season ticket holder, just a ticket plan holder so I guess it's different...I still refuse to sign up for anything until I'm sure it's real guys on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad